International COVID-19 Updates & Discussion 3

Dave

Honorary Master
The clowns may still be being clowns but the UK is in a far off better position than where the constant criticism (and almost hoping to fail) is coming from. It's weird

Though a lot of people say that the UK‘s vaccine success has been despite BoJo and not really due to him and his cabinet of clowns.

Nod

Executive Member
Not sure if posted before ...
Source: https://inews.co.uk/news/health/nhs...ths-flu-rsv-covid-staff-bed-shortages-1104083
The report states that flu and RSV hospital admissions and deaths could be twice that seen in a “normal” year, and could coincide with an increase in Covid-19 infections. Models suggest between 15,000 and 60,000 could die from flu this winter, although the report acknowledges that there are still high levels of uncertainty around the effect flu and other respiratory illnesses could have.
Dame Anne said that the flu figures are “uncertain” and the 60,000 figure is an “an unlikely worst case scenarios”, adding” flu is horribly unpredictable”.

Further sources: https://metro.co.uk/2021/07/15/up-t...flu-this-winter-with-nhs-struggling-14931949/
Experts have issued a stark warning amid fears population immunity could be low as a result of lockdown restrictions being in place last year.

surface

Honorary Master
The clowns may still be being clowns but the UK is in a far off better position than where the constant criticism (and almost hoping to fail) is coming from. It's weird
Few people realize the enormity of ground work done by BoJo & DT which has been instrumental in containing Corona in UK & USA respectively. I am surprised that they are not commended by TIME magazine for their leadership.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Though a lot of people say that the UK‘s vaccine success has been despite BoJo and not really due to him and his cabinet of clowns.
I agree that it's despite bojo. It's all been the NHS workers on the ground and the supply chains - the people who really do the work. (Oh and the head of PHE)... Bojo the clown and his cabinet are a joke... Though at least they have the decency to resign when they're caught out breaking their own rules.

The Voice

Honorary Master
Just watched the "life after 19 July" video from our HR team. Basic sentiment is if you're coming back note that you'll have to rely on everyone else in the office being honest about testing and symptoms. Also as COVID has been eradicated there is no mandate to keep your distance, wear a mask or regularly sanitise while you're breathing in the recycled air.

Great. :D

Dave

Honorary Master
Just watched the "life after 19 July" video from our HR team. Basic sentiment is if you're coming back note that you'll have to rely on everyone else in the office being honest about testing and symptoms. Also as COVID has been eradicated there is no mandate to keep your distance, wear a mask or regularly sanitise while you're breathing in the recycled air.

I would suggest you use a medical grade mask yourself if you have any fears regarding covid while at work and on public transport.

Lupus

Honorary Master

Covid hasn't been eradicated, it never will be. It's just manageable now... Dare I say it, like the flu

The Voice

Honorary Master
Covid hasn't been eradicated, it never will be. It's just manageable now... Dare I say it, like the flu
It was tongue in cheek, considering how we went from restrictions still in place on the 18th, to basically nothing on the 19th.

The Voice

Honorary Master
I would suggest you use a medical grade mask yourself if you have any fears regarding covid while at work and on public transport.
Have a car, so not worried about public transport, and we've been able to effectively work remotely for over a year. So I guess the onus would be on my employer to demonstrate why it can't be a permanent fixture after so long, or at least why a hybrid system can't be considered. Regardless, I'll still wear a mask when necessary (shopping, etc).

Lupus

Honorary Master
It was tongue in cheek, considering how we went from restrictions still in place on the 18th, to basically nothing on the 19th.
That's how special the governments are... They can eradicate viruses with a simple opening up.

The Voice

Honorary Master
And as someone with some health issues, will you be using higher grade (N95 or better) masks?
Try to, yes. My wife works for a distributor of a high street pharmacy chain, so we get when we need to.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
That's how special the governments are... They can eradicate viruses with a simple opening up.
You have things arse about face. They have opened up because a lot of the risk has been eradicated (by epic execution of a vaccination program)

buka001

Honorary Master

I was on leave last week. Touring Wales.

Got back to work today, buses 100% capacity, sitting shoulder to shoulder to people.

Glad COVID decided to end its tour of the UK at midnight last night.