International COVID-19 Updates & Discussion 3

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
The other side of this coin is the "social media crazies" (on Twitter and FB) that are now using this increased transmissibility of variants to fuel the fire about how useless the vaccines are, which in turn plays into the hands of the anti-vaxxers ---- A vicious circle of media frenzy feeding on itself.

tetrasect

Expert Member
The other side of this coin is the "social media crazies" (on Twitter and FB) that are now using this increased transmissibility of variants to fuel the fire about how useless the vaccines are, which in turn plays into the hands of the anti-vaxxers ---- A vicious circle of media frenzy feeding on itself.

Yip, they see the mask mandate as an admission that the vaccines don't work, rather than as an act meant to protect the unvaccinated.

Precisely. The messaging coming out of the CDC in the US is appalling. They have not thought through their comments properly.

Same opinion of those in the UK now.

Yeah, but UK is tapering off at about 90% of UK adults with one dose and 70% with two doses (you'd have to imagine most of the first dose people will get the 2nd dose), I will be surprised if SA doesn't hit a wall (like in the US) at the 40-50% range. It's easy now with all the keen people getting vaccinated.

The Voice

Honorary Master
I wonder: when the measles and polio vaccines came out, was there this much hoo-ha? People just lined up in their millions and got the jabs, no questions asked. And I'm sure thousands didn't take too well to them, got severe side effects and possibly even died.

But you know what? They knew getting the jab was important not only for themselves, but for their families and the communities around them.

R13...

Honorary Master
I wonder: when the measles and polio vaccines came out, was there this much hoo-ha? People just lined up in their millions and got the jabs, no questions asked. And I'm sure thousands didn't take too well to them, got severe side effects and possibly even died.

But you know what? They knew getting the jab was important not only for themselves, but for their families and the communities around them.
Did those vaccines come through EUA like these COVID ones. The hesitancy is in the fact that these are essentially still in development.

Sinbad

Honorary Master

There were no social media tools giving the ignorant a platform to spew their nonsense, and create an echo chamber reinforcing their crackpot opinions

Rosaudio

First Officer
Bad move I rate. Those who are not vaccinated in the US by now have chosen not to be. So let them suffer the consequences and lift all restrictions. Nothing will change these people's minds except (and only in some cases) witnessing the virus first hand.
UK approach has probably been the best so far.

No more restrictions, everyone who wants a vaccine has got it by now (at least 1 dose). The unvaccinated carry the risk.

Although this might only really be possible with such a high vaccination rate. Will be interesting to see what happens in the US.

Paulsie

Expert Member

Well didn't work out that well for some of the initial that lined up:
1/ 1955 - cutter incident - some batches contained live polio virus even though the manufacturer went through approvals
2/ 1955-1963 - estimated 10-30% of polio vaccines in the US were contaminated by simian virus

Plus plenty of other instances in later years.

Moral of the story? Vaccines work and are useful and necessary.

That fact alone however should not stop people from being cautious, especially in early years of a new product

noxibox

Honorary Master
Bad move I rate. Those who are not vaccinated in the US by now have chosen not to be. So let them suffer the consequences and lift all restrictions. Nothing will change these people's minds except (and only in some cases) witnessing the virus first hand.
They’re already framing this as scary infection numbers rather than protecting the unvaccinated. Thus even 100% vaccination wouldn’t head off these moves.

People who aren’t vaccinated by choice also want everything opened and restrictions dropped. They’re not the ones motivating to keep restrictions indefinitely. Neither will witnessing the virus first hand change their minds about vaccination because plenty have already witnessed it first hand.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Yip, they see the mask mandate as an admission that the vaccines don't work, rather than as an act meant to protect the unvaccinated.
That’s not how they are presenting it. They’re specifically worrying about vaccinated people catching it.

Yeah, but UK is tapering off at about 90% of UK adults with one dose and 70% with two doses (you'd have to imagine most of the first dose people will get the 2nd dose), I will be surprised if SA doesn't hit a wall (like in the US) at the 40-50% range. It's easy now with all the keen people getting vaccinated.
I suspect there are much higher levels of natural immunity in South Africa.

Did those vaccines come through EUA like these COVID ones. The hesitancy is in the fact that these are essentially still in development.
Development of vaccines in those days was a bit of a cowboy affair. However a couple of disasters did have a serious negative impact on willingness to take the polio vaccine.

Last edited:

Rosaudio

First Officer

tetrasect

Expert Member

Paulsie

Expert Member
Oh dear...

Anti vaxxer Piers Corbyn tricked into ‘accepting’ £10,000 on condition he stops criticising AstraZeneca vaccine

So one idiots behaviour is supposed to smear the character of all who are hesitant?
Also this idiot did not change his tune, he agreed to keep quiet.
And, it just shows that you can convince anybody with a neat stash of cash.

Currantly

Expert Member

YouTube suspends Sky News Australia channel owing to Covid-19 misinformation​

YouTube said Sunday it had barred Sky News Australia from uploading new content for one week, citing concerns about Covid-19 misinformation.

The move comes after a review of posts uploaded by the Rupert Murdoch-owned TV channel, which has a substantial online presence.

"We have clear and established Covid-19 medical misinformation policies... to prevent the spread of Covid-19 misinformation that could cause real-world harm," a YouTube statement said.

With 1.86 million YouTube subscribers, the channel - which is owned by a subsidiary of Murdoch's News Corp - has a conservative following well beyond Australia.

Linky