Expert Member

Here is the new one

Someone help me out , how do they test for the different variants

Geoff.D

Honorary Master

Here is the new one

Out of the article you posted:

Genetic analysis of 3,014 infections last week found 64% were the Delta variant, KDCA data showed, a clear sign the variant has become the dominant strain in South Korea as well. Cases among the fully vaccinated remained low.

That is how. If I elaborate any further based on my 'inferior status" as a non-expert in the field, I will be lambasted even though I am more than capable for providing you with a complete description of the process, as well as 5 references as how it is done, by whom typically, and, which bodies in SA are capable of undertaking the work.

semaphore

Honorary Master

Here is the new one

Sequencing, blasting, phylogenetic analysis etc

Nanfeishen

Executive Member

Here is the new one

They put all the various names of the greek alphabet on a "wheel of fortune" , and then spin it :D

Cage Rattler

WHO calling for a moratorium on booster shots of coronavirus vaccines through at least September as poorer countries struggle to access the shots, even for high-risk populations such as health-care workers and the elderly.

“We cannot and we should not accept countries that have already used most of the global supply of vaccines using even more of it while the world’s most vulnerable people remain unprotected,” WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
WHO calling for a moratorium on booster shots of coronavirus vaccines through at least September as poorer countries struggle to access the shots, even for high-risk populations such as health-care workers and the elderly.

“We cannot and we should not accept countries that have already used most of the global supply of vaccines using even more of it while the world’s most vulnerable people remain unprotected,” WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said.
Typical response!

Dave

Honorary Master

They can piss right off.

Paulsie

Expert Member

Perhaps this might be an answer for the underprivileged?

Dave

Honorary Master

noxibox

Honorary Master
Boosters are probably not needed any time soon, but if there is no real shortage then those countries are free to waste their money on over-vaccinating.

Craig_

Honorary Master
This useless inept good for nothing government apparently has a policy of not testing under 45's for covid. So I had a staff member who's family tested positive, he went into isolation on from Tuesday. I couldn't close the building for sanitation as I didn't have a confirmed positive.
So this morning another staff member (she worked with the one who's family was exposed) got sick while we were doing a tasting set up. Breathing problems and coughing. Off to the local clinic she goes, sorry, we don't do covid tests for over 45's even if you are sick.

So she goes to the hospital, yes you're sick but not severely so you can go home and isolate. This is what the morons at the hospital tells her.

So after like 6 calls and over an hour on the phone I finally get hold of a doctor at the hospital that gave me some advice on how to get her tested. She is overweight so that might qualify her for a test. Meantime I still can't close my building officially. I'm closing it non-officially anyway, don't care if I get crap for it.

I really don't understand how they can send sick people away without testing. I also don't understand how they closed the economy to give them time to prepare, but many months later they are not prepared for the wave of people coming in needing to be tested.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
This useless inept good for nothing government apparently has a policy of not testing under 45's for covid. So I had a staff member who's family tested positive, he went into isolation on from Tuesday. I couldn't close the building for sanitation as I didn't have a confirmed positive.
So this morning another staff member (she worked with the one who's family was exposed) got sick while we were doing a tasting set up. Breathing problems and coughing. Off to the local clinic she goes, sorry, we don't do covid tests for over 45's even if you are sick.

So she goes to the hospital, yes you're sick but not severely so you can go home and isolate. This is what the morons at the hospital tells her.

So after like 6 calls and over an hour on the phone I finally get hold of a doctor at the hospital that gave me some advice on how to get her tested. She is overweight so that might qualify her for a test. Meantime I still can't close my building officially. I'm closing it non-officially anyway, don't care if I get crap for it.

I really don't understand how they can send sick people away without testing. I also don't understand how they closed the economy to give them time to prepare, but many months later they are not prepared for the wave of people coming in needing to be tested.
Morons who have no idea what is going on and can't see beyond the rules. That is the tragedy in our country everywhere, even on this forum. The rule do not suspend critical thought and common sense.

Craig_

Honorary Master
Morons who have no idea what is going on and can't see beyond the rules. That is the tragedy in our country everywhere, even on this forum. The rule do not suspend critical thought and common sense.

And then the first doctor I talked to tells me rules are rules, she won't be put under pressure by business's as she has to be consistent. Meanwhile I have lots of old people coming in on a daily basis, all exposed because of their stupidity.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Sanitising after someone who has been there has tested positive is essentially pointless anyway. Just a waste of time and money.

Sounds reasonable unless someone is sick enough to be in hospital.

Where have you been? Everyone knows that most of the country did no preparation. Not that increased testing was ever on the cards anyway.

noxibox

Honorary Master
And then the first doctor I talked to tells me rules are rules, she won't be put under pressure by business's as she has to be consistent. Meanwhile I have lots of old people coming in on a daily basis, all exposed because of their stupidity.
They'd be exposed regardless.