International COVID-19 Updates & Discussion 3

flippakitten

Expert Member
So when they open up for two weeks they can moan the numbers are going up again? Really wish politicians got paid less during lockdowns. If the populace has to take a knock so do they.

They should just get paid less in general.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Weird. Everyone was going on about how Australia and New Zealand had beaten this thing.

So when they open up for two weeks they can moan the numbers are going up again? Really wish politicians got paid less during lockdowns. If the populace has to take a knock so do they.
They should get no pay at all for the duration. Unfortunately a lot of the time they're wealthy anyway, so they never really suffer the impact of their decisions.

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
They should get no pay at all for the duration. Unfortunately a lot of the time they're wealthy anyway, so they never really suffer the impact of their decisions.
Yep , must be nice to be have the money/ wealth/sheltered employment/job security to encourage lockdowns while millions worldwide are being forced into unemployment, while their hard won savings are being eaten away and their debt just increases.
Sickening.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
They're a bit late to the party. International travel from UK already banned and Christmas has been cancelled.

IMO this is a knee-jerk reaction (just like that in March), since the new variant has undoubtedly spread to other countries already. See:
The new variant was first detected in September. In November it made up around a quarter of cases in London. This reached nearly two-thirds of cases in mid-December.

Some details of the variant also discussed in a link posted in this thread: https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/thr...s-u-k-fights-new-strain.1116428/post-26628076

scud

Expert Member
anyone know of the definitive ( unambiguous ) covid test requirement for travel to UK ?

I'm departing @ 6pm on 31st December to UK via Dubai connection, and trying to work out what date I need the test done in cape town. Arrive in uk 11am on the 1st Jan 2021.

Grant

Honorary Master
anyone know of the definitive ( unambiguous ) covid test requirement for travel to UK ?

I'm departing @ 6pm on 31st December to UK via Dubai connection, and trying to work out what date I need the test done in cape town. Arrive in uk 11am on the 1st Jan 2021.
Call Pathcare.
I know they are doing testing for travel purposes.

scud

Expert Member
Call Pathcare.
I know they are doing testing for travel purposes.
Pathcare just stopped traveler testing today, due to the surge in demand for local tests.
there are a couple of other places like Lancet.co.za, but the timing is a bit of a grey area.
some say 72 hours before departure, some say 48 hours before arrival.
it's driving me crazy :)

flippakitten

Expert Member
IMO this is a knee-jerk reaction (just like that in March), since the new variant has undoubtedly spread to other countries already. See:

Some details of the variant also discussed in a link posted in this thread: https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/thr...s-u-k-fights-new-strain.1116428/post-26628076

Agreed, although it's just brexit arriving 10 days earlier.

flippakitten

Expert Member
Pathcare just stopped traveler testing today, due to the surge in demand for local tests.
there are a couple of other places like Lancet.co.za, but the timing is a bit of a grey area.
some say 72 hours before departure, some say 48 hours before arrival.
it's driving me crazy :)
Check gov.uk, it'll be there.