International COVID-19 Updates & Discussion 3

Grant

Honorary Master
Pathcare just stopped traveler testing today, due to the surge in demand for local tests.
there are a couple of other places like Lancet.co.za, but the timing is a bit of a grey area.
some say 72 hours before departure, some say 48 hours before arrival.
it's driving me crazy :)
Try the British High commission

flippakitten

Expert Member
Pathcare just stopped traveler testing today, due to the surge in demand for local tests.
there are a couple of other places like Lancet.co.za, but the timing is a bit of a grey area.
some say 72 hours before departure, some say 48 hours before arrival.
it's driving me crazy :)

Edit: have you asked the airline yet?

Last edited:

scud

Expert Member

Edit: have you asked the airline yet?
Yup , Emirates say 72 hours , uk is unclear , but it looks like within 48 hours , so will need 2 tests to be safe , one to get on the plane, and one on arrival,
Tests take 48-72 hours for processing and results to be emailed . Lol

flippakitten

Expert Member
Yup , Emirates say 72 hours , uk is unclear , but it looks like within 48 hours , so will need 2 tests to be safe , one to get on the plane, and one on arrival,
Tests take 48-72 hours for processing and results to be emailed . Lol

I don't envy you, it's hard enough to figure out what's needed under normal circumstances. Good luck.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master

Fake News!

The CDC's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices held a vote Sunday to determine the order of high-risk priority groups for Phase 1 of COVID-19 vaccine distribution, which encompasses the first months of vaccine distribution. Federal officials anticipate having enough doses to immunize around 100 million people in the U.S. by the end of February 2021 — around a third of the U.S. population.

"This was a really difficult decision for me, because I truly wish everyone could get the vaccine today," said Dr. Peter Szilagyi, a pediatrician at UCLA and a voting member of the panel.
The group recommended in early December that health care workers and residents of long-term care facilities be the first recipients of COVID-19 vaccines, in Phase 1a. That stage of vaccine distribution kicked off last week when the first COVID-19 vaccine shipments started arriving at large hospital systems around the country.

According to Sunday's vote, adults ages 75 and older, along with frontline workers key to societal functioning such as teachers, police officers, fire fighters, prison officers and grocery store workers, should be prioritized in Phase 1b, a stage that is expected to start in January, according to CDC estimates of vaccine availability.
In Phase 1c, which may start in February, access to COVID-19 vaccines would expand to include adults 65 and older, along with people with underlying medical conditions that put them at higher risk of getting severely ill from COVID-19, and other essential non-frontline workers including those who work in construction, waste, trucking and food service.

Last edited:

Dave

Honorary Master
anyone know of the definitive ( unambiguous ) covid test requirement for travel to UK ?

I'm departing @ 6pm on 31st December to UK via Dubai connection, and trying to work out what date I need the test done in cape town. Arrive in uk 11am on the 1st Jan 2021.

From a read of the guidance there doesn't appear to be a mandatory test requirement for UK arrival. The requirement is 10 days self isolation (which can be shortened to 5 days by taking a test after arrival).

Paulsie

Expert Member
The pro-lockdown evidence is shockingly thin, and based largely on comparing real-world outcomes against dire computer-generated forecasts derived from empirically untested models, and then merely positing that stringencies and “nonpharmaceutical interventions” account for the difference between the fictionalized vs. the real outcome. The anti-lockdown studies, on the other hand, are evidence-based, robust, and thorough, grappling with the data we have (with all its flaws) and looking at the results in light of controls on the population.
From the American Institute for economic research

wbot

Executive Member

Someone explain to me why young healthy Americans/politicians are getting the vaccine before the elderly and frontline health workers when there isn't even enough for them and when experts say that young healthy people should be very last in line... :unsure:

Healthcare workers and the elderly are still waiting to be vaccinated but I guess AOC is somehow way more important and vulnerable

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
Feel sorry for anyone flying in to tier 4 but with plans being somewhere else .... stuck until Easter they're saying.

Dave

Honorary Master
Joe Biden was given the vaccine in public today.

WASHINGTON — President-elect Joe Biden received the first dose of the Covid-19 vaccine on Monday in Wilmington, Delaware, telling Americans seconds after getting the shot "there's nothing to worry about."

Biden received the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine at ChristianaCare Hospital. The shot was administered by Tabe Masa, a nurse practitioner and head of employee health services at the hospital. Biden held up his sleeve as he received the shot in his left arm and did not visibly react as he received his jab.

Seconds after he received the shot, Biden, wearing a face mask, said his fellow Americans had nothing to fear in receiving the vaccine.

"I'm doing this to demonstrate that people should be prepared, when it's available, to take the vaccine," Biden said. "There's nothing to worry about. I'm looking forward to the second shot."

Paulsie

Expert Member
Someone explain to me why young healthy Americans/politicians are getting the vaccine before the elderly and frontline health workers when there isn't even enough for them and when experts say that young healthy people should be very last in line... :unsure:

Healthcare workers and the elderly are still waiting to be vaccinated but I guess AOC is somehow way more important and vulnerable
So they can tweet about how wonderful it is. It's the equivalent of giving a freebie to an influencer.

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
I don't get it, there are reports of more than 40 countries restricting travel from the UK but Bozo still has anyone entering the UK, including SA with their variant strain .... I mean.

Paulsie

Expert Member

From the American Institute for economic research
For those who didn't bother looking into the linked article, purely based on the fact that it had been posted by me, please note it contains links to 28 separate, rather interesting scientific studies into lockdowns
1. “A country level analysis measuring the impact of government actions, country preparedness and socioeconomic factors on COVID-19 mortality and related health outcomes” by Rabail Chaudhry, George Dranitsaris, Talha Mubashir, Justyna Bartoszko, Sheila Riazi. EClinicalMedicine 25 (2020) 100464. “[F]ull lockdowns and wide-spread COVID-19 testing were not associated with reductions in the number of critical cases or overall mortality.”

2. “Was Germany’s Corona Lockdown Necessary?” by Christof Kuhbandner, Stefan Homburg, Harald Walach, Stefan Hockertz. Advance: Sage Preprint, June 23, 2020. “Official data from Germany’s RKI agency suggest strongly that the spread of the coronavirus in Germany receded autonomously, before any interventions became effective. Several reasons for such an autonomous decline have been suggested. One is that differences in host susceptibility and behavior can result in herd immunity at a relatively low prevalence level. Accounting for individual variation in susceptibility or exposure to the coronavirus yields a maximum of 17% to 20% of the population that needs to be infected to reach herd immunity, an estimate that is empirically supported by the cohort of the Diamond Princess cruise ship. Another reason is that seasonality may also play an important role in dissipation.”

3. “Estimation of the current development of the SARS-CoV-2 epidemic in Germany” by Matthias an der Heiden, Osamah Hamouda. Robert Koch-Institut, April 22, 2020. “In general, however, not all infected people develop symptoms, not all those who develop symptoms go to a doctor’s office, not all who go to the doctor are tested and not all who test positive are also recorded in a data collection system. In addition, there is a certain amount of time between all these individual steps, so that no survey system, no matter how good, can make a statement about the current infection process without additional assumptions and calculations.”

4. Did COVID-19 infections decline before UK lockdown? by Simon N. Wood. Cornell University pre-print, August 8, 2020. “A Bayesian inverse problem approach applied to UK data on COVID-19 deaths and the disease duration distribution suggests that infections were in decline before full UK lockdown (24 March 2020), and that infections in Sweden started to decline only a day or two later. An analysis of UK data using the model of Flaxman et al. (2020, Nature 584) gives the same result under relaxation of its prior assumptions on R.”
And perhaps most inferesting to consider
Abstract
Epidemic theory dictates that a reduction in the force of infection by a pathogen is associated with an increase in the average age at which individuals are exposed. For those pathogens that cause more severe disease among hosts of an older age, interventions that limit transmission can paradoxically increase the burden of disease in a population.

Last edited:

krycor

Honorary Master
I don't get it, there are reports of more than 40 countries restricting travel from the UK but Bozo still has anyone entering the UK, including SA with their variant strain .... I mean.

They blocking SA now too..

Ps. The UK variation was 1st reported in September.. yes.. 3-4months ago along with hypothesis that it may be more transmissible.

krycor

Honorary Master

Have to wonder what’s brewing in the US. Virus & mutations work via stats.. ie more transmissions more random variation.

Now if the UK & SA have had similar variation randomly occur (assuming isolated? Though I doubt isolation) it would stand to reason the country with similar or worse transmission has some interesting variations happening? Then again, maybe they got lucky like those lotto numbers.