International speeds faster on WIFI than Wired

Iwojima

Expert Member
So here's a weird one:

I'm on a 50mbs fibre connection and noticed that when using Speedtest.net or Speedsmart.net and testing a local server I get a full 50msb up and down, however if I try a UK/US server I get a consistent 18mbs-ish for the former and 12ish-ish for the latter. This is while on my PC with a wired connection

Now to add to the weirdness I downloaded the equivalent mobile apps for the above services and when testing via WIFI I get my 50mbs local AND much closer to my full 50mbs for the UK/US servers.

I'm stumped. Surely if it were hardware for the wired connection related it would be symptomatic in both local and international tests?[/b][/b]

Flywheel

Honorary Master
Could be roaches in your network cable or ethernet port. Spray some Doom on it and test again.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Sounds more like the tcp/ip scaling window is messed up, so not scaling up fast enough for the speed test.

Would post instructions to fix/reset, but on phone with shoddy net right now.

Iwojima

Expert Member
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal
You are a gentleman and a scholar:

cavedog

Honorary Master
You are a gentleman and a scholar:

Yes windows tcp scaling is not optimal. You can usually see this when using 5Ghz wifi on android and see that suddenly international is perfect but slow on windows.

Iwojima

Expert Member
Yes windows tcp scaling is not optimal. You can usually see this when using 5Ghz wifi on android and see that suddenly international is perfect but slow on windows.
This also appears to have sorted out my large downloads from international sites.

Any chance the revised setting would impact anything negatively, eg. gaming?

cavedog

Honorary Master
This also appears to have sorted out my large downloads from international sites.

No it won't affect any other applications at all.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master

No, it's more to handle if you had heavy packet loss at one point, by taking longer to ramp there's fewer packets lost to retransmit, so there's a balance that needs to be kept. For most this will never affect them, most content is usually sub 50ms for places like Europe and US, South Africa is an outlier due to international, and then you generally want to take the "safer" approach.

For gaming it doesn't matter, it's UDP, there's no acknowledgement that the packet was received, so no need to wait to check before sending the next packet.