International Speeds

Samildanach

Ouchie... let's hope the WACS cable is in a better time slot...

(UPDATE 5:30 PM) As announced this morning, a cut on the SAFE submarine cable took place at 2:40 am this Thursday, January 16, 2020 on the SAT 3 segment 3 link. It impacts all operators in Reunion via this link.

The cut in the submarine cable is nearly 3,500 m deep, between Angola and Gabon.

No recovery period has yet been communicated to us and the investigations are still ongoing. However, given the situation, the estimated recovery time may be 3 to 4 weeks.

ianmau

Still waiting for AH to send out an email informing the clients of the issue, but considering the lack of service lately I am not surprised

Dan C

Honorary Master
Ouchie... let's hope the WACS cable is in a better time slot...

(UPDATE 5:30 PM) As announced this morning, a cut on the SAFE submarine cable took place at 2:40 am this Thursday, January 16, 2020 on the SAT 3 segment 3 link. It impacts all operators in Reunion via this link.

The cut in the submarine cable is nearly 3,500 m deep, between Angola and Gabon.

No recovery period has yet been communicated to us and the investigations are still ongoing. However, given the situation, the estimated recovery time may be 3 to 4 weeks.

3 to 4 weeks... Ouch

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
Hey guys, just posting this update here:

Our upstream providers report that adverse weather in the Western Cape has delayed the departure of the ship to effect repairs to international undersea cables. We currently do not have an ETR for final repairs to be completed.

To recap, both primary and secondary cables failed within a day of each other. We are currently using an alternate transit route, which does not have sufficient capacity to accommodate all the traffic which has been rerouted to it.

In the interim, our network management team have worked tirelessly to provide clients with the best experience possible. Services like twitter and online gaming have been optimised for best performance under the circumstances.

We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this has caused, and we are grateful for our client’s patience and understanding.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
UPDATE REGARDING INTERNATIONAL SPEEDS:
We have purchased additional international bandwidth on other undersea cables to restore internet services to as close to normal as possible. This is in addition to our existing failover capacity. This means that we will not be reliant on repairs to the damaged cables to deliver better international speeds and latency. Our team are currently working through the night to implement the additional capacity this evening or early tomorrow morning.

skylink

Well that was short-lived as of 16:30 today its as bad as it was for the past 5 days

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
Well that was short-lived as of 16:30 today its as bad as it was for the past 5 days

Things should be a lot better today and our team and monitoring and optimising all the time.

skylink

It was ok today but right now it's not, and if this is how we going to go for the next few weeks then its time to part ways with Afrihost I will give ita day or two and then it's off to whoever can provide what we paying for.

BCR

Expert Member
UPDATE REGARDING INTERNATIONAL SPEEDS:
We have purchased additional international bandwidth on other undersea cables to restore internet services to as close to normal as possible. This is in addition to our existing failover capacity.

Are you aware if Telkom have done, or intend doing the same?
Reason I ask you, is that I currently have a Telkom LTE SIM / B525 router combo, purchased via your website a few months ago.

My d/load speeds on the 1800 spectrum were generally up to 55 - 60Mbps (before this undersea cable issue).

From recent d/loads, it seemed as though speeds to intl. sites were somewhat restored - yesterday, I got up to 16Mbps on some mp3 downloads. However, earlier on this afternoon, the most recent podcast from this site - https://mintcast.org/category/mp3/ - d/loaded at well under 100KB/sec (for most of it), and only for a short while "shot up" to up to the 200 - 400 KB/sec range.

Please advise if Telkom have given you feedback as to how they're handling LTE bandwidth we pay for, through the Afrihost portal during this uncertain time .. and if none yet given to now, can you find out more from them on my / our behalf, and advise below ?

Last edited:

MirageF1

Executive Member
Finally back to some normality since yesterday morning.
Seems as if purchase of extra capacity did the trick.

MTN fixed LTE package
Speed to London with no VPN

Screenshot_20200123_034857_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.jpg

Pixies

Honorary Master
Windscribe custom package working for me. Signed up for the ZA server and unlimited for $2. Well worth it.

MirageF1

Executive Member
Windscribe custom package working for me. Signed up for the ZA server and unlimited for $2. Well worth it.

Likewise although speeds back to normal now.
Internat pings were always +- 200ms or thereabouts.

MirageF1

Executive Member
AH's additional capacity has definitely restored more than normal speeds to my MTN Fixed LTE
In fact fastest I've ever seen my connection +100Mbps ( usually between 50 and 90 Mbps)

MTN Fixed LTE performance.png

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
Are you aware if Telkom have done, or intend doing the same?
Reason I ask you, is that I currently have a Telkom LTE SIM / B525 router combo, purchased via your website a few months ago.

My d/load speeds on the 1800 spectrum were generally up to 55 - 60Mbps (before this undersea cable issue).

From recent d/loads, it seemed as though speeds to intl. sites were somewhat restored - yesterday, I got up to 16Mbps on some mp3 downloads. However, earlier on this afternoon, the most recent podcast from this site - https://mintcast.org/category/mp3/ - d/loaded at well under 100KB/sec (for most of it), and only for a short while "shot up" to up to the 200 - 400 KB/sec range.

Please advise if Telkom have given you feedback as to how they're handling LTE bandwidth we pay for, through the Afrihost portal during this uncertain time .. and if none yet given to now, can you find out more from them on my / our behalf, and advise below ?

So we don't have insight into Telkom's LTE network. Unlike MTN LTE where we have some control, Telkom manage that portion.

Having said that, we have been engaging with them on our client's behalf, especially around packet loss and latency. They have greatly improved the packet loss issue, but until the west cables come back online, they may not be able to fully restore the overall experience with the resources available.

We'll continue to monitor and give feedback to them - hopefully wherever improvements can be made, we can get some action in those areas.

Reactions: BCR

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
on my 10Mb line my torrent that i started yesterday has been coming down between 50KB/s to 110KB/s.
I normally get 1.1Mb/s
This 47GB file is going to take over 6 more days to come down :(