Internet Disconnects whenever someone dials or answers the Landline

Green Raddish

Hi

Lately I've been having a problem where my internet will go down just by pressing the dial button on the landline, or answering it. Its becoming very frustrating as I either wait 5 minutes or reboot the router

Please Help

Basjohn

Expert Member
I feel like an echo but yeah, this is a CLASSIC filter problem. Either you don't have one, it's lose or it's faulty.

Damn I miss easy faults like this sometimes......and then I remember everything else about tech support and have a good cry in the mirror instead.

vicv

Expert Member
I have the same problem. On a new line that was installed 2 months ago. Is there a difference between a splitter and a filter? I'm feeling like a noob here. Basically there's a cable coming into my house which then connects to a device (pots filter?) that has 2 telephone ports where the phone and modem connects. Nothing else. Am I missing something? Telkom wants to charge me a callout fee to fix what was broken from the start.

buyeye

Executive Member
I have the same problem. On a new line that was installed 2 months ago. Is there a difference between a splitter and a filter? I'm feeling like a noob here. Basically there's a cable coming into my house which then connects to a device (pots filter?) that has 2 telephone ports where the phone and modem connects. Nothing else. Am I missing something? Telkom wants to charge me a callout fee to fix what was broken from the start.

The one on the wall installed by telkom is not a filter. A splitter or filter usually comes with a router and it's cheap to buy and a good idea to have a spare one to test with when your line acts up.

Suspect99

Executive Member
I have the same problem. But we have tested all the filters. And put in new ones. The line still disconnects whenever the phone rings. This has been going on for about 2 years. Telkom has come out numerous times. And nothing they have done has helped. It started after the upgraded from 356kbs to 1mps

vicv

Expert Member
The one on the wall installed by telkom is not a filter. A splitter or filter usually comes with a router and it's cheap to buy and a good idea to have a spare one to test with when your line acts up.

This came with my router. Is this the filter?

IMG_20141129_145253.jpg