Internet down daily at 23:00 - WEBAFRICA - (RAIN LTE)

Inky1980

Hi guys,

Any other Webafrica LTE clients aka RAIN LTE clients here experiencing downtime late at night?
For the past month I've started to pick up a pattern of internet disconnects at around 23:00 almost every night. I have reported this to Webafrica but I'm not getting concrete answers. My guess is they reset the tower in my area or something like that but it's damn annoying. I will check my router logs when I get home later to see if I spot anything obvious but I get the feeling that I'm just going to have to live with this... I'm in Cape Town

Thanks!

Zuperfruit

Yep, getting frequent disconnects often accompanied by downtime. Last Sunday, it was down all night - a big problem if you're playing online games. We've emailed Webafrica but heard nothing back.

buzzard

Same problem. The most common outages last for an hour late at night. Sometimes between 00:00 and 01:00.
I know of two other people on Webafrica RAIN LTE that get disconnected at the same time.

2017-09-12 00:03:44 System Notice WAN connection INTERNET_R_UMTS1:IPv4 connected
2017-09-11 22:59:08 System Notice WAN connection INTERNET_R_UMTS1:IPv4 disconnected

Inky1980

Well the good thing for me is that it's an overall problem, and not just me. But this still sucks!
Thanks for the replies. I have logged a ticket with Webafrica and will hopefully get some sort of positive feedback.

Inky1980

Same problem. The most common outages last for an hour late at night. Sometimes between 00:00 and 01:00.
I know of two other people on Webafrica RAIN LTE that get disconnected at the same time.

2017-09-12 00:03:44 System Notice WAN connection INTERNET_R_UMTS1:IPv4 connected
2017-09-11 22:59:08 System Notice WAN connection INTERNET_R_UMTS1:IPv4 disconnected

This is insane. I get that LTE speeds vary due to the technology, I can live with that, but don't cut me off like clockwork then give me some generic answer about the service being affected by the weather and k@k. Siiiiiigh.

Zuperfruit

We stayed connected throughout "the greatest storm Cape Town has seen in 10 years" or whatever. But lately, getting disconnects every night. Go figure, haha.

Inky1980

Just got a reply from Webafrica - I'll update this thread if they do not do so themselves once I get more feedback

"Noted - will respond on thread - having a chat with Rain - to confirm a way forward"

WebAfrica Helper

Web Africa representative
Hi All

Spoke to our LTE provider RAIN - they confirm a up to 35 min outage last night - so they are aware and confirm connections going down - this has been investigated and resolved. Please see their response below:

Dear IS Client Earlier

IS experienced the following service event:

AFFECTED SERVICES: LTE-A via RAIN
GRADE OF SERVICE IMPACT: Major
SERVICE IMPACT: Clients experienced no connectivity
CAUSE OF EVENT: Being investigated
TIME: Tue 11 Sep 2017 [23:46 – 00:15]
OUR REF: 1-13637687692
CURRENT STATUS: Monitoring
ATTENDING: Vendor engineers

Inky1980

Hi All

Spoke to our LTE provider RAIN - they confirm a up to 35 min outage last night - so they are aware and confirm connections going down - this has been investigated and resolved. Please see their response below:

Dear IS Client Earlier

IS experienced the following service event:

AFFECTED SERVICES: LTE-A via RAIN
GRADE OF SERVICE IMPACT: Major
SERVICE IMPACT: Clients experienced no connectivity
CAUSE OF EVENT: Being investigated
TIME: Tue 11 Sep 2017 [23:46 – 00:15]
OUR REF: 1-13637687692
CURRENT STATUS: Monitoring
ATTENDING: Vendor engineers

Thank you. It seems to be an almost daily thing, so hope they also addressed that.

Will monitor and feed back to you if it is still a regular occurrence. Thank you for your effort in resolving this.:)

Zuperfruit

Thanks for the reply! :) The issue has been ongoing for at least two weeks, so hopefully they have dealt with that, not just this one incident. Will monitor and report back.

Zuperfruit

UPDATE: Dropped twice already since I got home. Around 6:45pm and 8:45. This is really crappy and unusable... :-(

Zuperfruit

Another two disconnects since - the latest one being a few minutes ago. Happening almost every hour around a quarter to.

WebAfrica Helper

Web Africa representative
Thank you for your feedback - we have reported this to RAIN - its currently being investigated - Please DM us your contact details for any required help

Zuperfruit

Thanks so much. These weren't disconnects as per the subject line though, so I'm thinking of starting a different thread for that one, as not to hijack this one.

Inky1980

I didn't notice downtime from 23:00 onwards last night, but I will keep monitoring. Thanks!

JimboJambo

It's not a Webafrica issue, it's a Rain issue. Everyone that has Rain-LTE regardless of the ISP they purchased it through experienced the 11pm outage.

Inky1980

It's not a Webafrica issue, it's a Rain issue. Everyone that has Rain-LTE regardless of the ISP they purchased it through experienced the 11pm outage.

Yeah figured as much - The outage is just not acceptable though and it's up to our ISP's to sort out as they are the re-seller. Whatever is killing connections on the tower at 11pm needs to either be fixed, or if it's a scheduled reset of some sort it needs to happen in the early hours of the morning at the very least, with notice to clients. RAIN LTE isn't doing Webafrica/Mweb and the others any favours as far as reputation go at the moment.