Internet, social media content regulations coming in South Africa

MickeyD

RIP
Online distributors and large international online platforms are also required to register with the FPB as “online distributors”, at a fee of up to R750,000 per year (determined “at the discretion of the executive committee” of the FPB).
Great way to encourage business in SA. NOT.

House

Banned
Internet, social media content regulations coming in SA

The Film and Publication Board is planning to establish an efficient and effective online and new media content regulatory strategy for South Africa

In effect, what these ****s want to do is steal more. They are obviously not stealing from enough people already. I soon see a position where all website owners must also register as well and pay a fee. This is what it is all about - making money where they haven't before - nothing about regulating content.

garp

Executive Member
These are the same dingbats who seriously proposed a few years ago that everyone in South Africa that posted any form of video, including on YouTube, should get a film board rating approval from them. They have absolutely no clue what the Internet is or how it works, so best not to take them too seriously as their whacky plans seldom amount to much.

Drunkard #1

Expert Member
I was going to quote something so absurd it's hilarious, but then I realised that the entire idea is absurd.

88712cfec4fc031df0aee5628efcf84b154a78830b2882461b62765bc77571bd.jpg

Exactly what we'd expect from [-]the self appointed morality police[/-] the FPB.

Lycanthrope

Honorary Master
Exactly what we'd expect from [-]the self appointed morality police[/-] the FPB.

Their existence is entirely irrelevant.

The only time they even make the news is when they're at odds with reality.

I can't think of a single thing that they've ever done right or that has been meaningful.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
The FPB has always been a stuff up.
Its the typical SA way, lets regulate everything, that way we can justify throwing a bunch of money at it and employ a bunch of our friends.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Efficient and effective? From an SA regulator/authority?

just.. can't...anymore...

LPCPT

Expect a new department to be formed, stacked with cronies and cadres. Then a bunch of workshops at sun city or some exorbitant place. After that fact finding missions to China, Irak etc.
Next a couple of tenders and last a bunch of consultants hired to tell them what to do.
In the end nothing will come from all this waste of money.

Petec

Expert Member
This is now happening fast. The FPGestapo, under direct control by the cANCer, is tightening the noose around all forms of data/content creation and distribution. They are working closely with the unholy trinity of Naspers, Primedia and Times Media Group.

People say I am nuts. I say, don't laugh when they haul you off to the gallows for downloading/thinking/breathing.

It's all about power, control and money. Digital migration a failure? No problemo, we will just "lease that service off to dstv. Film industry miffed at the pesky downloaders? No problemo, we will just go arrest the culprit, because we control and monitor all aspects of connectivity and data transmission.

Again, and at the risk of repetition, what the top dogs in the rest of the world are desperate to impose on it's citizens, here in good 'ol SA, they do with absolute disdain and contempt to those who built and support the systems and the citizens who fund it.

boerseun

Millions of rand of implementing content filters as ISP level rendered useless by a R50 VPN account.

Last edited:

garp

Executive Member
Millions of rand of implementing content filters as ISP level rendered useless by a R50 VPN account.

Oh, they'll just propose to declare all private encryption illegal as well as the unauthorised use of VPNs. In fact they already tried this in the ECT Act that stipulates that all "providers of cryptography" have to register with the department of communications. Of course, this is just another law that is widely ignored, however, it's starting to make sense that they created a new "ministry of information". Starting to look like this all aimed at political dissent and this will be some hamfisted dingbat plan to crack down on it as per their buddies in China.