Internet Solutions buys more SAT-3/WACS capacity

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
Too late she cried .. I already got off the ridiculous IS bandwidth top 20/50% rolling window bandwagon.

Saajid

Expert Member
Was I the only one that read the WHOLE article hoping to get some hard figures?

How much is this substantial increase in capacity? How many Gbps capacity did IS have and how much does it have now on SAT3/WASC??

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
so what accounts will give sat3 bandwidth etc?

cant stand the crap of seacom(its to damn slow ) , so both my main and backup account must be sat-3, so maybe i can use them as backup account.

system32

Expert Member
SAT-3/WASC (South Atlantic 3/West Africa Submarine Cable) is not to be confused with the new cable WACS "West Africa Cable System" - landing at Yzerfontein.
This is the first time I've seen SAT-3 called "SAT-3/WASC".

So, as @ToxicWazte asked - how much capacity was added?

Last edited:

ads

In summary:

Telkom is dumping its remaining SAT-3 bandwidth into the market before the launch of WACS early next year, when prices will drop again substantially. IS has managed to squeeze a really good deal out of Telkom for this, but no-one is really benefiting - not IS (because they're going to have to pay for WACS capacity anyway), not Telkom (because this is yet another act of desperation, like the 8.ta pricing), and not the consumers, because the savings won't filter down to end users.