Internet Solutions downtime due to hard disc failures

Swa

Honorary Master
Another reader stated that his company is using Internet Solutions for their cloud-based servers, and their server has been down since 18 March 2019.
Not cloud based then.

Because no Intelligent cloud provider should STILL be using HDD but ONLY SSD !!!
Unlessssss, they are using RAID6 with plenty of active monitoring and warnings/alerting systems !!
Depends. Mass storage it's HDD. Fast access it's SSD. Once we reach HDD/SSD parity we can talk about moving everything to SSD.

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
Not cloud based then.

Depends. Mass storage it's HDD. Fast access it's SSD. Once we reach HDD/SSD parity we can talk about moving everything to SSD.

Judging but the updates in clientzone saying "hard drive failure" is a gross oversimplification of whats actually going on. This is definitely a fairly large SAN which has failed in spectacular fashion, at this level the vendor is most likely involved too.

IS is trash though, their last round of retrenchments combined with the changes to their support structures is the straw that broke the camels back.

ubercal

Expert Member
IS has been on a downward spiral for the last 5 years.Ive been slowly moving all my services away from them....

Swa

Honorary Master
Judging but the updates in clientzone saying "hard drive failure" is a gross oversimplification of whats actually going on. This is definitely a fairly large SAN which has failed in spectacular fashion, at this level the vendor is most likely involved too.

IS is trash though, their last round of retrenchments combined with the changes to their support structures is the straw that broke the camels back.
Yeah this is something way bigger than just a few HDDs failing all at once. But you are right are right about their service. There should have been a recovery plan plus independent backup from which to recover from.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Who out there only runs ssds?

Amateurs? :)

I still prefer HDD for backups/redundancy, they're a far hardier tech... they tend to give warning signs before they die, and there's very few scenarios, however badly they die, that can't be recovered by a data recovery service in a fairly short timespan.

Even the most hardy "enterprise" SSD with a gigantic MTBF can be chewed up in a high-load datacenter environment. You have to choose its role carefully, not just throw them everywhere to solve every problem.

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
Who out there only runs ssds?

Only SSDs? No one who know even the slightest thing about capacity planning. Loads of enterprises will have all flash arrays for things like SQL or virtual desktops but will almost always have lower tier storage for less demanding workloads. Unless manufactures manage to drastically reduce the cost of flash spinning disks will continue to host the bulk of the data

ponder

Honorary Master
Only SSDs? No one who know even the slightest thing about capacity planning. Loads of enterprises will have all flash arrays for things like SQL or virtual desktops but will almost always have lower tier storage for less demanding workloads. Unless manufactures manage to drastically reduce the cost of flash spinning disks will continue to host the bulk of the data

That's why I'm asking, sounds like bs.

quovadis

Executive Member
Most cloud implementations are no longer a bunch of servers connected to a SAN and running a hyper visor - it's become way more complicated than that. I'm not saying that IS's is more complicated, I'm just adding to the discussion. If you look at the various implementations of hyper-converged solutions providing storage and compute resources it can go belly up very quickly if you have a single server fail and then for some reason another server starts to degrade at the same time and you don't have resources immediately available to deal with it. As for the SSD vs HDD debate there are a ton of enterprises adopting tiered storage as a compromise although there are plenty who have gone one way or the other based on the use case. It's also pointless to shove a bunch of SSD disks into an array but the array cannot deliver the performance benefit because there is a bottleneck between the array and the hosts.

irBosOtter

Expert Member

We only run SSD SAN's.... for everything, 160+ VM's across 5 EMC SANs with only SSD's in

Even our Veeam backup repositories were moved to SSD SAN's a while ago due to normal drives not keeping up...

Lupus

Honorary Master
I worked at IS many moons ago, a lot of the time the hardware was so old we used to almost literally keep it running with sticky tape and bubblegum. I did log a lot of overtime working there though as I spent a lot of time rebuilding servers.
I remember the whole ftp.is.co.za went down because of "hard disc failure" which was partially true, but it was more like the entire 8 year old NAS just fell over and we couldn't source parts for it anymore.

Reactions: cda

Swa

Honorary Master
We only run SSD SAN's.... for everything, 160+ VM's across 5 EMC SANs with only SSD's in

Even our Veeam backup repositories were moved to SSD SAN's a while ago due to normal drives not keeping up...
As an enterprise yeah. As a host no, as some people would want large storage while others want fast access.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
As an enterprise yeah. As a host no, as some people would want large storage while others want fast access.

Yes hosting companies will have to offer that as not everyone needs the speed.

We even have a 20TB file share also on SSD's, now that's a waste of SSD's but we will not allow normal drives in here, we will be moving that 20Tb to Azure soon so then it will be on cheap storage

IT_Steven

Because this is not the first time their platform has failed. Their terms say they don’t give a hoot if it does fail and neither do their support.
Azure or AWS are the future

Just for the record, we run servers across AWS, Azure and IS.