Introduction to Islam

wayfarer

Expert Member
"Allah says: "There is no compulsion in religion", meaning: do not force anyone to embrace Islam, because it is clear and its proofs and evidences are manifest. Whoever Allah guides and opens his heart to Islam has indeed embraced it with clear evidence. Whoever Allah misguides blinds his heart and has set a seal on his hearing and a covering on his eyes cannot embrace Islam by force...hence Allah revealed this verse. But, this verse is abrogated by...
What is the Islamic view to the above claim?
Thank you for this question. There are multiple errors in the quoted part. However, this type of deliberate misinformation/misinterpretation is increasingly popular on hate sites.

The verse which states "There is no compulsion in religion," is a statement of truth, and not directly a command. It therefore can never be abrogated, as only commands are possible to abrogate. The implicit, common sense imperative that is associated with this "unabrogatable" statement is not to compel anyone in terms of religion. An imperative that is inextricably linked to a truth statement cannot be abrogated. In full, the verse reads,

"There is no compulsion in religion. The right direction is henceforth distinct from error. And he who rejects false deities and believes in God has grasped a firm handhold which will never break. God is Hears and Knows all things." (Quran 2:256)

...abrogated by the verse of "fighting...
The verses which refer to conduct during warfare or specific battles do not abrogate any general imperative.

...Therefore, all people of the world should be called to Islam...
Indeed, they should be called thus! :D

If anyone of them refuses to do so, or refuses to pay the Jizya they should be fought till they are killed.
No, no, no! Muslims nations do not hunt down non-Muslims across the globe, imposing state tax upon them under the threat of murder. I cannot speak for crazy criminals and terrorists, though.

Under Islamic Law, Muslims pay an annual tax called zakah (a pillar of Islam), which the state redistributes to the poor, and non-Muslims pay an annual tax called jizyah. Zakah is 2,5% of one's disposable income. While jizyah was supposed to be an equivalent amount, it was most often less than zakah. The zakah tax was never waived for Muslims, but there are countless examples in history of the jizyah being cancelled for non-Muslims. The arrangement for paying jizyah was known as "dhimmah", which means contractual agreement. Those protected and cared for under the dhimmah were called "dhimmis". In modern times, dhimmah has been replaced by the legal construct of muwatanah, meaning citizenship.

In the Sahih, the Prophet said: "Allah wonders at those people who will enter Paradise in chains", meaning prisoners brought in chains to the Islamic state, then they embrace Islam sincerely and become righteous, and are entered among the people of Paradise." -Tafsir of Ibn Kathir, Al-Firdous Ltd., London, 1999: First Edition, Part 3, pp. 37-38
The above quote is falsely attributed to Ibn Kathir. He was quoting an earlier scholar, who is actually misquoted above. The scholar quoted by Ibn Kathir intimated that Muslim conduct was so noble, that even the hearts of prisoners of war were inclined to the compassionate religion of their Muslim captors.

Nevertheless, the statement that some people, initially in chains, will be of those who enter Paradise, is an authentic Hadith by Prophet Muhammad. Scholars have differed on what this may refer to. They have variously opined that its symbolism:

1. May refer to those enemy combatants captured at the Battle of Badr, who voluntarily converted to Islam.
2. It may refer to the idea that adherence to a sacred moral code appears repressive to some (chains), but that one's self-restraint invariably leads one to Paradise.
3. It may refer to Muslim combatants captured in war, dying whilst in enemy custody. They are therefore destined for Paradise.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Note that those who have genuinely conducted an open-minded search for Truth, having explored various positions, including Islam, and thereafter sincerely rejected it, because they genuinely cannot conceive of it as the truth, are not the same as those who refuse to search for truth, or refuse to see Islam as truth due egotism, laziness, bigotry or arrogance. God is the only one who can look into people's hearts, and they are not all the same.

Dear wayfarer, that's rather condescending and insulting. I take it you would include me in your latter description?
So, you have asked me if the shoe fits.

I tell you that my shoe, which I call a brain, has considered a lot. I find your comment to be arrogance in the extreme. That you cannot defend it other than asking "does the shoe fit" tells me you are far more bigoted, and cowardly, than anything you are trying to attribute to me.

By the way - I am aware that throwing a shoe at someone is a huge insult in Islam. May I ask if this was an intentional insult from you? On your word, please.

Last edited:

Xarog

Honorary Master
Splinter, you should get a job working for the Onion. You'd become famous in the space of months.

Splinter

Honorary Master
"Those who do not believe in Islam can be classified into two groups:

1. Those who are termed ‘Jahil-e-Muqassir’ (lit. ‘culpable ignorant’). These are non-believers to whom the message of Islam has reached and who have understood its truthfulness. However, they are not prepared to accept the truth due to their obstinacy and stubbornness. This group deserves to be punished in Hell."

So, wayfarer, a wee quote. Seems to gel with your comment I quoted above. So I, and others, deserve to be punished in hell?

Last edited:

falcon786

Executive Member

1. Those who are termed ‘Jahil-e-Muqassir’ (lit. ‘culpable ignorant’). These are non-believers to whom the message of Islam has reached and who have understood its truthfulness. However, they are not prepared to accept the truth due to their obstinacy and stubbornness. This group deserves to be punished in Hell."

So, wayfarer, a wee quote. Seems to gel with your comment I quoted above. So I, and others, deserve to be punished in hell?
You're not dead yet and no human can make that call so why ask Wayfarer,he isn't God.

isie

Honorary Master

None of us as mentioned many times before are Allah or can make judgements on his behalf. No matter how many good or bad deeds you do in life the decision for a person to enter heaven is up to Allah

The below is a parable i remember that sums up exactly what you are asking
There was a man who had murdered 99 people.

He went to a learned man and told him about his past, explaining that he wished to repent, reform, and become a better person. "I wonder if Allah will pardon me?" he asked.

The scholar could not accept this . "You will not be pardoned;' he said. "Then I may as well kill you, too," said the other. And kill him he did.
(so basically what you think that we think about you)

He then found another wiseman and told him that he had killed a 100 people. "I wonder," he said, "whether Allah will pardon me if I repent?" Being a truly wise man, he replied, "Of course you will be pardoned; repent sincerely. I have just one piece of advice for you: avoid the company of wicked people and mix with good people, for bad company leads one into sin:"

The man expressed repentance and regret, weeping as he sincerely implored his Lord to pardon him. Then, turning his back on bad company, he set off to find a neighborhood where righteous people lived.

On the way, his appointed hour arrived, and he died. The angels of punishment and of mercy both came to take away his soul. The angels of punishment said that as a sinful person he rightfully belonged to them, but the angels of mercy also claimed him, saying, "He repented and had resolved to become a good man. He was on his way to a place where righteous people live, but his appointed hour had come." A great debate ensued, and Gabriel was sent as an arbitrator to settle this affair.

After hearing both sides he gave this verdict: "Measure the ground. If the spot where he died is closer to the good people, then he belongs to the angels of mercy, but if it is nearer to the wicked people, he will be given to the angels of punishment."

They measured the ground. Because the man had just set out, he was still closer to the wicked. But because he was sincere in his repentance, the Lord moved the spot where he lay and brought it to just outside the city of the good people.

That penitent servant was handed over to the angels of mercy.

So no matter what either the scholars or angels thought ultimately it is Allah who decided.

BTW why do you care ?

If you are an atheist then there is no Hell so why Worry.
If you belong to any other religion then according to your Beliefs Muslims are wrong so , you dont have to fear Muslim hell.

Splinter

Honorary Master
None of us as mentioned many times before are Allah or can make judgements on his behalf. No matter how many good or bad deeds you do in life the decision for a person to enter heaven is up to Allah

BTW why do you care ?

If you are an atheist then there is no Hell so why Worry.
If you belong to any other religion then according to your Beliefs Muslims are wrong so , you dont have to fear Muslim hell.
This still doesn't really answer my question. Lets put it this way - do non-believers in Allah (whether they be atheist or from another religion) go to hell or not?

And I've answered the "why do you care" part before.

Why is everyone answering on wayfarers behalf though?

isie

Honorary Master
This still doesn't really answer my question. Lets put it this way - do non-believers in Allah (whether they be atheist or from another religion) go to hell or not?

And I've answered the "why do you care" part before.

Why is everyone answering on wayfarers behalf though?

As per my entire post only Allah decides who goes to Hell or Heaven, no man can answer this. If i beleive you to be a good person and I think you will go to heaven , or i beleive you to be an evil person and I think you will go the hell all of this is of no consequence as to what is in your heart I cannot see, what you intentions are i can only assume, Muslim or not etc, only Allah decides. Just because you do not agree with the simple fact that I as a man cannot answer on behalf of god.

As to the Why do you care part I must have missed that post if you would care to enlighten my curiosity? at least point to the post

I am not answering on his behalf this is an Introduction to Islam and I have every right to answer. Wayfarers is very Learned more so then me but if i believe i have an answer i will answer (as is evident within this Thread).

Splinter

Honorary Master
As per my entire post only Allah decides who goes to Hell or Heaven, no man can answer this. If i beleive you to be a good person and I think you will go to heaven , or i beleive you to be an evil person and I think you will go the hell all of this is of no consequence as to what is in your heart I cannot see, what you intentions are i can only assume, Muslim or not etc, only Allah decides. Just because you do not agree with the simple fact that I as a man cannot answer on behalf of god.

As to the Why do you care part I must have missed that post if you would care to enlighten my curiosity? at least point to the post

I am not answering on his behalf this is an Introduction to Islam and I have every right to answer. Wayfarers is very Learned more so then me but if i believe i have an answer i will answer (as is evident within this Thread).
So you are saying the Quran is silent on what gets you into heaven; or alternatively what will not get you into heaven? Also what the alternative to heaven is (i.e. hell)?

And read my responses to that dmkknight dude or whatever is name is.

Answer all you like; as long as he answers for himself as well.

isie

Honorary Master
So you are saying the Quran is silent on what gets you into heaven; or alternatively what will not get you into heaven? Also what the alternative to heaven is (i.e. hell)?

And read my responses to that dmkknight dude or whatever is name is.

Answer all you like; as long as he answers for himself as well.
Do good deeds with good intentions and this will help but ultimately the decision is with Allah whether you end up in heaven , or hell. Even if you end up in hell it may not be permanent.

Why are You refusing to answer a simple question? I have searched the last 4 pages of this thread for this btw

Splinter

Honorary Master
Do good deeds with good intentions and this will help but ultimately the decision is with Allah whether you end up in heaven , or hell. Even if you end up in hell it may not be permanent.

Why are You refusing to answer a simple question? I have searched the last 4 pages of this thread for this btw
I didn't say it was this thread..

Splinter

Honorary Master
so instead of answering a question you want me to search the entire Forum for a post to another user?
Well, it's a bit of me mimicking similar behavior from others - like refusal to answer certain questions (wayfarer) or saying I should read the entire the entire Quran to get an answer to a question of mine (DMKnight).

You seem to agree it's not reasonable behavior then?

*sorry, was a bit sneaky of me to set this trap for you - but it is what it is*