Introduction to Islam

DMNknight

Expert Member
Well, it's a bit of me mimicking similar behavior from others - like refusal to answer certain questions (wayfarer) or saying I should read the entire the entire Quran to get an answer to a question of mine (DMKnight).

You seem to agree it's not reasonable behavior then?

*sorry, was a bit sneaky of me to set this trap for you - but it is what it is*
Isie, be careful. Splinter is the master of giving the impression of refuting an argument by misrepresenting the facts and seemingly then refuting the new misrepresented facts as a rebuttal.

A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not advanced by that opponent.[1] One who engages in this fallacy is said to be "attacking a straw man"
This is my actual post:
Seriously dude, almost every religious text is google-able these days. Go search for it yourself if this is so important to you.
Or would reading a religious text actually offend your atheist nature in actually teaching you something about the things you argue against?
Here he is combining the fact that I have read the Quran cover to cover once and the fact that I've told him to go research it himself if it is so important to him.
Just like any adept liar, he combines truths in convenient ways to misrepresent his mistruth.

DMNknight

Expert Member
Some further notes:

Splinter is not a rational arguer, as you can see from him insisting that wayfarer answer on behalf of Allah.

This is called the tu quoque informal logical fallacy, or the appeal to hypocrisy. The arugment basically being that because he refuses to answer on behalf of a God that his reasoning is flawed. (i.e. exactly what Isie refuses to do)

He is also a firm favourite of the Red Herring and the the ad hominem fallacies.

In short, do not expect a rational discussion with him.

isie

Honorary Master
Well, it's a bit of me mimicking similar behavior from others - like refusal to answer certain questions (wayfarer) or saying I should read the entire the entire Quran to get an answer to a question of mine (DMKnight).

You seem to agree it's not reasonable behavior then?

*sorry, was a bit sneaky of me to set this trap for you - but it is what it is*
have i not answered the question or have i advised you to refer to another post?

Judge each man by his own actions not by the actions of others.

You have proven you would rather spite those who have taken time to answer due to perception of those who have not.
And by the way you have responded to me it's no wonder no one answers you or do not wish to engage.

Actions of a sad little child throwing a tantrum vying for attention and biting the ankle of passers by who try to help - It is what it is.

Zolani99

Some further notes:

Splinter is not a rational arguer, as you can see from him insisting that wayfarer answer on behalf of Allah.

This is called the tu quoque informal logical fallacy, or the appeal to hypocrisy. The arugment basically being that because he refuses to answer on behalf of a God that his reasoning is flawed. (i.e. exactly what Isie refuses to do)

He is also a firm favourite of the Red Herring and the the ad hominem fallacies.

Phew, now you've cut the tree to a splinter

Splinter

Honorary Master
Isie, be careful. Splinter is the master of giving the impression of refuting an argument by misrepresenting the facts and seemingly then refuting the new misrepresented facts as a rebuttal.

This is my actual post:

Here he is combining the fact that I have read the Quran cover to cover once and the fact that I've told him to go research it himself if it is so important to him.
Just like any adept liar, he combines truths in convenient ways to misrepresent his mistruth.
Umm, where is the lie. I asked you a number of times for an answer; you finally responded by telling me to go read the Quran? Jeez dude, reality is weak with you.

Last edited:

Splinter

Honorary Master
have i not answered the question or have i advised you to refer to another post?

Judge each man by his own actions not by the actions of others.

You have proven you would rather spite those who have taken time to answer due to perception of those who have not.
And by the way you have responded to me it's no wonder no one answers you or do not wish to engage.

Actions of a sad little child throwing a tantrum vying for attention and biting the ankle of passers by who try to help - It is what it is.
Oh yes, here come the insults again :D

Splinter

Honorary Master
Some further notes:

Splinter is not a rational arguer, as you can see from him insisting that wayfarer answer on behalf of Allah.This is called the tu quoque informal logical fallacy, or the appeal to hypocrisy. The arugment basically being that because he refuses to answer on behalf of a God that his reasoning is flawed. (i.e. exactly what Isie refuses to do)

Fark me, but this is an idiotic post! Wayfarer has created a thread to "introduce" Islam, but when you pose difficult questions to him, suddenly it is wrong it wrong to expect him to answer on behalf of Allah?

This is called hypocrisy.

DMNknight

Expert Member
Umm, where is the lie. I asked you a number of times for answer; you finally responded by telling me to go read the Quran? Jeez dude, reality is weak with you.
Thanks for making my point :)

This is my actual post:
Seriously dude, almost every religious text is google-able these days. Go search for it yourself if this is so important to you.
Or would reading a religious text actually offend your atheist nature in actually teaching you something about the things you argue against?
Check my wording carefully. I am not calling you a liar, but I am comparing you to one because both of you fudge the facts to fit your argument. See above.

DMNknight

Expert Member
Fark me, but this is an idiotic post! Wayfarer has created a thread to "introduce" Islam, but when you pose difficult questions to him, suddenly it is wrong it wrong to expect him to answer on behalf of Allah?

Again, the appeal to hypocrisy. You are not asking for facts about Islam, but for specific answers from wayfarer that are actually judgments (or outcomes) of what the religious texts say.
The people reading this thread understand that distinction why don't you?

Splinter

Honorary Master
Thanks for making my point :)

This is my actual post:

Check my wording carefully. I am not calling you a liar, but I am comparing you to one because both of you fudge the facts to fit your argument. See above.
Oh god, here we go again. The splitting of semantics as a defense. :whistling:

The full context of what you said also included "Or would reading a religious text actually offend your atheist nature". Now if that doesn't mean go read it then you need to stop reading religious texts and start with some on the English language.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Again, the appeal to hypocrisy. You are not asking for facts about Islam, but for specific answers from wayfarer that are actually judgments (or outcomes) of what the religious texts say.
The people reading this thread understand that distinction why don't you?
Again the semantic quibbling. I have asked wayfarer for what Islam says about specific instances, not for him to issue judgments. You're a semantic squabbler, not a factual debater ;)

isie

Honorary Master

Please note your question has been answered

DMNknight

Expert Member
Again:
This is my actual post:
In context, I am telling you to google it. I have not at any point told you
...go read the Quran...
Does this now make sense to you or do you need further clarification?

Splinter

Honorary Master
Again:
This is my actual post:

In context, I am telling you to google it. I have not at any point told you

Does this now make sense to you or do you need further clarification?
Nonsense. The religious text we were debating was the Quran. Not so.

DMNknight

Expert Member
This still doesn't really answer my question. Lets put it this way - do non-believers in Allah (whether they be atheist or from another religion) go to hell or not?
Very well, let's play your game. This is the question you want answered correct?

isie

Honorary Master
Please note - not in an adequate or correct fashion.
Please note your question has been answered, your disagreement with the answers provided does not make them incorrect or lacking.

Please refrain from spamming this thread, again.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Very well, let's play your game. This is the question you want answered correct?
I need to go check which thread we in and what questions I asked where. You defenders of wayfarer have been posting all over the place :)

Although the main question, which everyone has been studiously avoiding, or answering in a manner so as to not answer at all, is whether the idea that the invisibility of god is to protect mans free will is one mooted by god, or by man.

PS - I really need to get back to work.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Please note your question has been answered, your disagreement with the answers provided does not make them incorrect or lacking.

Please refrain from spamming this thread, again.
Oh, is this the new tactic? Trying for an infraction? Trying to limit my right to search for the truth? :)

Edit - you will see the questions posed again.