Introduction to Islam

Okty

Why may Muslims not say a voluntary prayer during specific times in the day (excluding the mandatory praying times). I believe you may not voluntary pray from early sunrise, just after the afternoon and late sunset. or something like that. What gives?

Fury05

Expert Member
Why may Muslims not say a voluntary prayer during specific times in the day (excluding the mandatory praying times). I believe you may not voluntary pray from early sunrise, just after the afternoon and late sunset. or something like that. What gives?
One can pray any time of the day or night outside of the mandatory 5 times. In fact it is encouraged.

I think maybe you have misunderstood the rule regarding praying just as the sun rises and as the sun sets.

Al-Bukhaari (548) and Muslim (1371) narrated that Ibn ‘Umar said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When the top edge of the sun has risen, then delay praying until it has risen above the horizon, and when the lower part of the sun has set, delay praying until it is fully set.”

Muslim (1373) narrated that ‘Uqbah ibn ‘Aamir al-Juhani said: “There are three times at which the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade us to pray or to bury our dead: when the sun has clearly started to rise until it is fully risen, when it is directly overhead at midday until it has passed its zenith, and when the sun starts to set until it has fully set.”

Also note that prayer can take any shape or form whether it be in the formal acts of Salah (prostration) or a verbal prayer.

My understanding is that the reason for not praying during those times is due to many people praying to the Sun god during those times pre modern era. To avoid the misunderstanding that Islam is anything other than the worship of God alone, those times are prohibited as per the Hadith mentioned above. There is a we'll known myth that Islam is the worship of the renamed Sun/Moon god.

Okty

One can pray any time of the day or night outside of the mandatory 5 times. In fact it is encouraged.

I think maybe you have misunderstood the rule regarding praying just as the sun rises and as the sun sets.

Al-Bukhaari (548) and Muslim (1371) narrated that Ibn ‘Umar said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When the top edge of the sun has risen, then delay praying until it has risen above the horizon, and when the lower part of the sun has set, delay praying until it is fully set.”

Muslim (1373) narrated that ‘Uqbah ibn ‘Aamir al-Juhani said: “There are three times at which the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade us to pray or to bury our dead: when the sun has clearly started to rise until it is fully risen, when it is directly overhead at midday until it has passed its zenith, and when the sun starts to set until it has fully set.”

Also note that prayer can take any shape or form whether it be in the formal acts of Salah (prostration) or a verbal prayer.

My understanding is that the reason for not praying during those times is due to many people praying to the Sun god during those times pre modern era. To avoid the misunderstanding that Islam is anything other than the worship of God alone, those times are prohibited as per the Hadith mentioned above. There is a we'll known myth that Islam is the worship of the renamed Sun/Moon god.
Ah, ok!

Thank you for the info and the interpretation, also makes sense to me. :)

Grant

Honorary Master
good morning wayfarer - it's been a while now, trust all is good !

have you watched this documentary at all.
it explores the history of the direction of the quibla & the relationship of becca to the city of petra.

definitely one the most interesting documentaries i watched

**edit - removed actual video from this thread - documentary is here, in another thread.

Volksieboi

Expert Member
good morning wayfarer - it's been a while now, trust all is good !

have you watched this documentary at all.
it explores the history of the direction of the quibla & the relationship of becca to the city of petra.

definitely one the most interesting documentaries i watched

**edit - removed actual video from this thread - documentary is here, in another thread.
This was refuted if I'm not mistaken.

If i recall, Gibson used google maps images to determine the Qibla that the mosques were facing. He never bothered to check which wall was the prayer facing wall. It basically blew his entire hypothesis.

Jay smith also tried to jump on this and was schooled big time.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
This was refuted in 2016 if I'm not mistaken.

If i recall, Gibson used google maps images to determine the Qibla that the mosques were facing. He never bothered to check which wall was the prayer facing wall. It basically blew his entire hypothesis.

Everyone and his dog has a theory about something. This is the internet. And people like Jay Smith , who have already displayed their prejudices will jump on anything that supports their views without much of a fact check.

I think what is telling is when people of one religion are seemingly obsessed with another religion. Almost like they want to rack up some conversion points to get to heaven. That goes for the guy who started that thread as well

Grant

Honorary Master
This was refuted if I'm not mistaken.

in the video he visits many old mosques.

Grant

Honorary Master
Everyone and his dog has a theory about something. This is the internet. And people like Jay Smith , who have already displayed their prejudices will jump on anything that supports their views without much of a fact check.

I think what is telling is when people of one religion are seemingly obsessed with another religion. Almost like they want to rack up some conversion points to get to heaven. That goes for the guy who started that thread as well
have you watched the video ?

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
have you watched the video ?
Yes. Was long, and built layers of "proof" on his already unproven "proof".

His repeated use of the term "I believe" is just that, something he's decided, and finds "evidence" that roughly supports his belief. Starting from his earthquaking conclusion that "bekka" = petra because weeping , so it can't be anywhere else....it was difficult to go through the whole thing.

He also provides his apparent "proofs" from Islamic literature, but then does the clever "but everything else was deliberately destroyed, so you can't trust this stuff...so you can't disprove this using the same Islamic literature" towards the end of the video.

An example is using a passage from Ibn Ishaq as his evidence , then throwing it to the wolves later on, so that nobody can provide actual evidence of location from it.

He also excludes any data that doesn't agree with his theory, whether by purpose or not, I'm not sure. For example that Petra had been attacked and seiged multiple times before and during the earthquake period...so how he suddenly concludes it's the Ummayeds or Abbasids when the city had multiple battles is a mystery.

As for the mosque directions, have a read: http://www.muslimheritage.com/article/from-petra-back-to-makka

Grant

Honorary Master
I watched the entire documentary. Not very convincing at all.

" Arabs used the stars to calculate direction "
Did he compensate for the movement of stars over 1500 years ?
i believe that was used as a reference for a time and place during that period - not now