Introduction to Scholastic Philosophy

Techne

Honorary Master
For those interested in the philosophy of Aristotle and Aquinas and the Scholastic system, Jacques Maritain's "Introduction to philosophy" (can be downloaded here) is a good start.

In it, a wide range of concepts related to Arisotelian-Thomistic ideas are unpacked and discussed, including:
Being and becoming
Essence and existence
Substance and Accident
Matter and Form
Mechanism, dynamism, hylemorphism, materialism, idealism etc.
Potentiality and Actuality
Universals and particulars
Nominalism, realism, moderate realism, scepticism, rationalism, empiricism etc.

The Scholastic philosophical system according to Jacques Maritain is the Christian philosophy and most compatible with classical theism.

Anyone that accepts classical theism or is sceptical about it, or rejects it, should at least attempt to understand Scholasticism and its approach to understand being as well as becoming (change).

Enjoy :).

copacetic

King of the Hippies
I'll be perfectly honest, I live in a slightly simpler world than you do Techne.

Techne

Honorary Master
I'll be perfectly honest, I live in a slightly simpler world than you do Techne.
And I wish you well :).

For those interested in classical theism and the defence of how to rationally and logically derive the divine attributes and make sense of free will, as well as related concepts such as those mentioned in the OP, the following resources are of interest;
1) Aquinas: A Beginner's Guide
2) Introduction to Philosophy
3) Principles of logic
4) Ontology, or, The theory of being; an introduction to general metaphysics
5) A manual of modern scholastic philosophy
6) Principles of natural theology
7) Real Essentialism

Last edited:

Splinter

Honorary Master
Despite my best reservations, I am actually going to watch the above.

Edit: 1:37.... sigh