Inverter and batteries

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
I read that as being quite negative :-(

This was the link provided: http://www.genpower.co.za/product/6fm100p-x/

I see no reference to deep cycle or AGM which concerns me... but I know nothing about this stuff.

Sorry for all the questions.

Absorbed Glass Matt (AGM).

The description of the battery mention "immobilized sulfuric acid in fiberglass separator", so I would hazard a guess it is AGM-like SLA battery.

Anyway, the chemistry/construction is not the be all and end all.

Just look at the cycle life vs depth of discharge. That is ultimately what they tested it to do.

In this case, 300 cycles at 80%, with 90% charge capacity retained. So it isn't as good as a GEL battery or top AGM battery, but much better than a standard Lead Acid.

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member
As far as batteries go, my take is this:
You get very good batteries that cost a lot of money. You get Ok batteries that are "affordable". You get horrible batteries that are either very cheap or you can get ripped off.

The most important thing with batteries is the cost per cycle. A R6000 battery may give you 1500 cycles. So R4/cycle. A R1200 battery may give you just 300 cycles, but it also costs R4/cycle. (BTW not real prices, just an example)

You spec out a system, but you are not sure of the capacity you will get real world, or you may want to expand the system in the future. Get the cheaper batteries to start with. If you want to expand the system it is preferable to have all the batteries start at the same level. As far as real world performance, you will get a feel for how the system is working.

You may have your eye on some lithium batteries (not the ones in the cell tower down the road!!!). They cost a lot, but you will get cheaper R/cycle out of them. Get your system running on "cheapies" until you are happy with the performance. Then start thinking of laying down big money. You may decide you want to budget to save over a year or so rather than buy them on credit.

I went for cheaper batteries and they have been ticking over for over a year now. I have not discharged them much below 25% from full. Other than load shedding, we have had numerous power outages and after 2 hours I normally start the 50KvA generator anyway.

Tag11

Thanks guys, that is decent useful info...

I guess I won't know where the battery falls in terms of affordable/cheap because I'm not being told their price... I'm just getting them as a bundle deal with the inverter and housing prepackaged.

I can't really argue, as I reckon R8,500 is a reasonable price for this solution and if I have to replace the batteries after 2 or 3 years then I can make the adjustments required.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Thanks guys, that is decent useful info...

I guess I won't know where the battery falls in terms of affordable/cheap because I'm not being told their price... I'm just getting them as a bundle deal with the inverter and housing prepackaged.

I can't really argue, as I reckon R8,500 is a reasonable price for this solution and if I have to replace the batteries after 2 or 3 years then I can make the adjustments required.
I've had my Ellies inverter for more than 4 years now, similar thing to the Mecer, the batteries are still OK, Energizer batteries, bought two more Enertecs, it's still works like a charm.

crawler

Expert Member
What physical size batteries goes into the ellies trolley?

Anyone have photos or info

I need to replace,but mission to get in under stairs where it's located, would prefer go and buy 2 x batteries

Get to unit, open up and replace at same time

wingnut771

Honorary Master

I need to replace,but mission to get in under stairs where it's located, would prefer go and buy 2 x batteries

2x100ah afaik.

Stokstert

Executive Member

Any 2 X 100/105 Ah battery. Here is a datasheet Pdf as an example attached for dimensions.

Attachments

• OmniPower_OPR120_Datasheet.pdf
    606.4 KB · Views: 5

howardb

Expert Member

Either 1 or 2 standard 100ah or 102ah deep cycle batteries. Dimensions of each battery is usually around:
Length = 330mm
Width = 170mm
Height = 230mm (incl terminals)

crawler

Expert Member
Thank you for all the replies so quick

Now the next question, cheapest place for decent quality

crawler

Expert Member
Royal, Deltec, Energizer, CSB, Ecco?? What to avoid

Can get Deltec at 1350 ea

crawler

Expert Member
Where? Cause 1350 is really good
9361c4dd19ae52a61c8639b5b32e9306.jpg

catman37

Expert Member
Alot of those places are selling second hand batteries for R1300.

Try this place