Inverter and batteries

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member
I actively avoid sites that refuse to publish prices or require you to register to see prices.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
I actively avoid sites that refuse to publish prices or require you to register to see prices.
100% agree
So many South African companies stuck in the past when it comes to websites, i just close the tab immediately when i see websites like that

MirageF1

Executive Member
I paid R1149 total Incl VAT for each of 2 Raylite 40Ah 12V Batteries

I thought that was a reasonable price for my modest budget.

MirageF1

Executive Member
Bloody pricy for a normal car battery...
Not a few months ago when fokall was available.

Plus these are not your stock standard cheap car battery..they also made by National Battery.

Raylite R-Solar RRO 40Ah 12V Battery

The RR battery range includes a low antimony grid alloys to reduce maintenance. The latest technology high performance plates enable the batteries to withstand frequent and deep charge and discharge cycles. Glass mat backed leaf separators packed tightly between plates avoid deterioration due to vibration.

Last edited:

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
I spoke to an electrician today about installing an inverter. He tells me that I can't use inverter and batteries for things such as stoves , irons , geysers even if I had enough battery capacity e.g. 5x 3.5kw pylontechs - he says inverter don't handle it

Same for using solar to power things during the day.

Is inverter technology that limiting?

I thought that as long as I stayed within the power envelope of the inverter and had enough battries and solar panels o could technically be off grid - as I want to get off Eskom altogether if I can help it? Ideas?

Anybody have experience of Microcare inverters. They are locally produced. Thinking about the 10kw one

Thx

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
I spoke to an electrician today about installing an inverter. He tells me that I can't use inverter and batteries for things such as stoves , irons , geysers even if I had enough battery capacity e.g. 5x 3.5kw pylontechs - he says inverter don't handle it

I thought that as long as I stayed within the power envelope of the inverter and had enough battries and solar panels o could technically be off grid - as I want to get off Eskom altogether if I can help it? Ideas?

Anybody have experience of Microcare inverters. They are locally produced. Thinking about the 10kw one

Thx

he is making a massive blanket statement there imo.

Jaws677

Expert Member

Thx
Nope he is incorrect. Using batteries for heating applications is not ideal. With that battery bank go for it.

As long as the running load doesn't exceed the invert rating it wount be a problem. Resistive heating loads are the easiest loads for inverter to drive.

lebovj

Has anyone bought batteries from China? Looking at upgrading my 16 x 12v 100Ah Gel batteries with 24 x 2v 1000Ah OPzV batteries running a 10KVA inverter with 24 X 340W PV's.

RonSwanson

Executive Member

Thx
This electrician doersn't make sense to me.

Sinbad

Honorary Master

Thx

You can get inverters to handle any size load. If your main circuit breaker is 60 amps then a 15 kva inverter will be able to provide that.

However, your batteries...
5 x 3.5 pylon techs is 17.5kwh. What is their max dod? 80 percent? So that leaves 14kwh usable.

A 5 kw load will flatten that in under 3 hours. To go off grid that battery needs to last you at least 15 hours. Assuming no clouds and sufficient solar that the battery is at 100 percent at 5pm.

buyeye

Executive Member
You can get inverters to handle any size load. If your main circuit breaker is 60 amps then a 15 kva inverter will be able to provide that.

However, your batteries...
5 x 3.5 pylon techs is 17.5kwh. What is their max dod? 80 percent? So that leaves 14kwh usable.

A 5 kw load will flatten that in under 3 hours. To go off grid that battery needs to last you at least 15 hours. Assuming no clouds and sufficient solar that the battery is at 100 percent at 5pm.
He isn't going to have a sustained 5kw load. Most households have peak usages when cooking or geyser warming up. Rest of the time with led lights and led TVs the average usage is around 800 watts.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
He isn't going to have a sustained 5kw load. Most households have peak usages when cooking or geyser warming up. Rest of the time with led lights and led TVs the average usage is around 800 watts.
I am aware of that. However, running high draw appliances drains the batteries very quickly - it still takes me by surprise each time it happens (we do try and run things like washing machines during sunlight hours)