Inverter and batteries

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Thia compnay charge 29k for this install.

Guess it take them 5 hours to install?

Inverter is R5500, and 4000 per battery. The mini db board and wiring maybe 2000?

So they made 14k on this?. Maybe I need to become electrician lol
78570a4ed96ca03f80232cbb99f1f94a.jpg

Steamy Tom

Executive Member

Inverter is R5500, and 4000 per battery. The mini db board and wiring maybe 2000?

Battery fusing there is probably at least R500. The inverter I can't really tell but more likely like R7k, a decent 200AH battery is at least R4-5k each.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Is this fine to start my grid tied adventure? Going for 5000watt one it cost R10500. Want to connect everything expect the geyser. Want to use same inverter when I go off the grid.
e49d58ff9ece477202eccf5ff1f13112.jpg
Remember grid tied means it's tied to the grid and needs it to remain up. You want hybrid

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member
Remember grid tied means it's tied to the grid and needs it to remain up. You want hybrid
Most are hybrid now days. What is very important is the max solar input the inverter can handle if you are going that route.

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member
Is this fine to start my grid tied adventure? Going for 5000watt one it cost R10500. Want to connect everything expect the geyser. Want to use same inverter when I go off the grid.

A system is divided into 2 sections: Peak power and Sustained power.

Peak power is the most a device will be using at any one time. Your 1000w microwave may average out at 1000w, but may spike to 3000w for a few seconds or more. As much as your geyser may be using. A washing machine uses different amounts of power depending on where in it's cycle it is. heating, spinning, soaking, ...... The importance of peak power is to determine what size inverter you need and what you want to put onto the inverter.

Sustained power is the amount of power you will be using during the day. This determines the size of array you will need (if you are going off grid) and the size of the battery you will be using. It is all good and well having a 5kw array that supplies everything during the day, when everyone is at work and not using power. At night you are bathing, watching TV, the lights are on, and every device in the house is online. The stove is cooking dinner and you are doing the washing so that you can hang it on the line in the morning before going to work.

It is very important to measure power consumption, both peak and sustained, before buying the system and deciding on what will be run by the system if you will retain a grid tied system. And if you are going off grid, it would be better to have a split system so that you are not at the mercy of loosing power completely if one component fails.

Example you have a 3kva system running essential devices in the house (lights and plugs) and a second 5kva system running laundry, kitchen, heaters / AC and, possible, geyser. Should the 3kva system fail you can switch over to the 5kva system. If the 5kva system fails you can switch over to the 3kva system, but you would have to be careful of what runs at the same time.

Neuk_

Expert Member

You will be surprised at what installation costs, I paid around R15k to install our inverter and batteries, I supplied the inverter, batteries and battery box with the installer supplying everything else like wiring, fuse, triple pole isolator, trunking, etc. and them splitting the DB.

airborne

Honorary Master
I doubt that for a few reasons*, but good luck anyway.

*eg Usable capacity vs actual capacity (Realistically Lithium is about 90-95% usable vs 50% for Lead Acid)
Lifetime cycles
etc..
Lithiums cost benefit assumes no failures over its lifetime and manufactures honouring warranties.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Lithiums cost benefit assumes no failures over its lifetime and manufactures honouring warranties.

Not entirely, this has been discussed before, let's say the very basic minimal setup:

4 X 120AH lead acid batteries ~R16000, offers you around 2800W assuming 50% DoD which you shouldn't even be pushing.

You can get a 2.4kw pylontech for just under R13350, or a 3.5kw for R18500, they are 80% DoD rated.

Even if the pylontechs last say 5 years which is half its gaurenteed time, I doubt the LA will perform the same and last the same period, but regardless of this the price factor just isn't that big, not to mention on the lead acids you should then have a balancer etc also. Lastly you also get cheaper lithium tech options also.

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member
Guys, I've said it before here, you have 2 considerations when it comes to batteries:
1 - Rands per cycle.
2 - What you can afford now, especially first time setups.

You can setup a system with LA batteries now and migrate to Li in 3 or 4 years if you don't have the cash to buy Li now (remember you are buying all the other stuff).