Inverter Batteries giving off bad smell - disconnected

scubasteve1

Hi Guys,
So 2 years ago I had a 1400W Mecer inverter put in running with 2x '12V 102Ah' batteries powering 2x TVs, internet and a couple of led lights so not a heavy load and gives me 4+ hours easily. worked great.. then replaced my Mecer with a new one in December 2020 (old one was reused elsewhere)
however last week i noticed a foul smell from the batteries and disconnected the units. I let the batteries stand for a couple of days and took them to get tested - where they said it seems they might have been overcharged at some point, the tester then filled the batteries with battery water and said they should be ok and i need to bring them in 6months time to be tested again.
anyways.. got home, reconnected batteries and same day the foul smell again. so currently all disconnected.
so my questions are, could the batteries be poked? they are 2 years old.
or could my new Mecer be at fault?
or will the smell disappear as it might just be the new battery water reacting to the charge?
I know it can be poisonous hence i want to make sure i get some other opinions out there also.
And I don't want to go spend 5k on 2 new batteries when not absolutely required.

thanks in advance
ants

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Are they getting really hot or just bad smell ?
If they smell they are most probably getting hot, one battery is gone.

OP, disconnect everything and measure the voltage with a multimeter, batteries shouldn't give off any gases that you can pick up, if you can smell it it's trouble.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Two years is a short period, I wonder if the manufacturers are skimping on quality with the surging demand.

scubasteve1

Im expecting they smell of Sulphur. Sounds like a dead battery to me.
weird smell. not rotten eggs. suspect more of an acid smell but can't say i know what that is meant to smell like :- ) batteries did leak a bit when i took them in also. forgot to mention.
for now i did check voltage.. 1 battery is 12.25 and the other one is sitting at 11.75 - so i have put the lower one on a charge and will measure it tomorrow again. if still below 12v then will have it replaced.
thanks for all the responses so far. appreciated.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
I wish people would start naming and shaming make/model/type so we can pick up trends and avoid. :D

2 Years is short if looked after, Long if you had Lead acid that was hit hard (More than 50%) on every cycle.. so relative.

DarkDragon

Our battery did same thing couldn't figure out what was causing the smell and finally found it was the battery. You will need to replace it.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
My Deltec 102aH High Cycle batteries are over 6 years old and still perform the same as the day I got them.
They were on my 2000VA APC UPS
Now for last year they are on my Mecer 2400VA Inverter.
I run a voltmeter over the array as well as a voltmeter over each battery for piece of mind
This is all staring at me in my face when I am on my computer everyday.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
My Deltec 102aH High Cycle batteries are over 6 years old and still perform the same as the day I got them.
They were on my 2000VA APC UPS
Now for last year they are on my Mecer 2400VA Inverter.
I run a voltmeter over the array as well as a voltmeter over each battery for piece of mind
This is all staring at me in my face when I am on my computer everyday.

Hmmm I have 2 of em Deltec 1250's as well, so good to hear someone with similar batteries, as I have never heard the name before. <-- was worried that I got el cheapo's

Only have my 2 x 12 volt meters over each battery, instead of a bridge 3rd I opted for thermostat with alarm clamped between the batteries to monitor temp as well.

1614079196173.png
That blue 13.7 is glaring at me everyday when I play games/watch TV :D

Last edited:

Pineapple Smurf

Hmmm I have 2 of em Deltec 1250's as well, so good to hear someone with similar batteries, as I have never heard the name before. <-- was worried that I got el cheapo's

Only have my 2 x 12 volt meters over each battery, instead of a bridge 3rd I opted for thermostat with alarm clamped between the batteries to monitor temp as well. That blue 13.7 is glaring at me everyday when I play games/watch TV :D
Our company that is 21 years old has only ever bought from Deltec. We use to spend about R400k per annum with them. I don't think they sell crap

AlphaJohn

Executive Member

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
weird smell. not rotten eggs. suspect more of an acid smell but can't say i know what that is meant to smell like :- ) batteries did leak a bit when i took them in also. forgot to mention.
for now i did check voltage.. 1 battery is 12.25 and the other one is sitting at 11.75 - so i have put the lower one on a charge and will measure it tomorrow again. if still below 12v then will have it replaced.
thanks for all the responses so far. appreciated.
11.75 after standing is a dead cell usually but the smell issue is probably bad battery chemistry,check if it's got any swells or hot compared to its neighbour after charging individually
It'll charge to 12.xx and drop off within hours

Pineapple Smurf