Inverter vs Non-inverter aircon unit for home use

A3@MBB

Anyone that did the actual calculation on cost vs power saving between these type of units? Maybe has built a calculator?

I'm looking at getting a 12000 btu aircon installed in the bedroom before summer kicks off in style, and really wondered if the cost saving outweigh the initial capital outlay at some point.

It's logical to install a inverter unit for a office setup where it will run daily for 8+ hours

Bear in mind that the unit will run maximum 2hr a day in temps of 35 degrees +.
Both types will work equally hard to get the temps down and I don't see a saving for the inverter in this instance.

Your thoughts?

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Whether it will be on for 2 hours or 8, the inverter type will still use less energy and the price is justified.

You can get a decent split inverter unit for R8k at makro.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
The shorter the usage period the better the inverter unit would be as they are variable and also cool more quickly, whereas the non-inverter is going full bore all the time (when compressor switched on).

But more so than anything it's worth paying the extra just for the lack of noise.

The on and off click is annoying enough, but the compressor running at full steam is always super noisy.

You really can't lose going inverter.

A3@MBB

Whether it will be on for 2 hours or 8, the inverter type will still use less energy and the price is justified.

You can get a decent split inverter unit for R8k at makro.
Funny you mention Makro, it is what got me at this point.
Last night I saw Makro's brochure for a 12k Defy Non-inverter unit for R4999.

R3k is a lot power it can chow :D

Anyways, thanks for the replies so far. Will hunt down best pricing on inverters

rorz0r

Executive Member
For a bedroom purely for the noise factor go inverter. For other rooms it doesn't matter as much.

wetkit

Expert Member
Invertor!!!
No more on / off noise from the compressor or the fan every couple of minutes :)

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Revival! So summer is upon us, and with a pregnant wife I think it's time to pull the trigger and get an air conditioner. Our house isn't the oldest and does keep quite cool for the most part (it's cooler than most other houses in Pretoria), but it's still uncomfortable over the December/January heat periods. Internal temperatures can then easily hit around 28°C, which is hot enough to make my wife uncomfortable.

Now, I would prefer a portable air conditioner as we have a fairly large house with just the two of us, and we spend a lot of time on each side (bedroom on one side, living room/kitchen area on the other. As such, I would prefer a portable air conditioner. I don't mind the exhaust pipes and so on at all, so I know what I'm sacrificing in that regard.

That being said, electricity prices in Pretoria are sickening these days, so I would like to get an inverter unit (if it's worth it). Can anyone recommend a good inverter, portable air conditioner or properly inform me of the pro's/con's of a portable air conditioner? We had a small one a long time ago that stopped working shortly after I got it (was a hand-me-down that didn't work lekker) so I sold it, and I loved it while I had it.

Room sizes - bedroom isn't too big, but living room/kitchen area is quite large. I'll be needing around 12,000~14,000 BTU, but can side on the small side here if needed. Noise isn't too much of an issue - it probably won't be running overnight and definitely won't be running for extended periods like days on end.

I'm looking to buy on Black Friday. I know Makro partakes and I also saw this one: https://www.makro.co.za/appliances/...0vHE1UHZ8RYlp1CM0QJb5bBgmWmmpwJRoCpgMQAvD_BwE and it seems to be an inverter unit (because it says variable speed) - but is it really?

Ecco

Executive Member
When using a portable aircon, the hot air has to go somewhere and that means a pipe from the unit needs to go to a window or doorway etc. Keep this in mind.

As1974a

Using a similar portable one. Extremely noisy for the bedroom(sometimes we rather stick the heat than have the noise). Pipe goes out through the wall and is there permanently. Rather split unit if you can.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Revival! So summer is upon us, and with a pregnant wife I think it's time to pull the trigger and get an air conditioner. Our house isn't the oldest and does keep quite cool for the most part (it's cooler than most other houses in Pretoria), but it's still uncomfortable over the December/January heat periods. Internal temperatures can then easily hit around 28°C, which is hot enough to make my wife uncomfortable.

Now, I would prefer a portable air conditioner as we have a fairly large house with just the two of us, and we spend a lot of time on each side (bedroom on one side, living room/kitchen area on the other. As such, I would prefer a portable air conditioner. I don't mind the exhaust pipes and so on at all, so I know what I'm sacrificing in that regard.

That being said, electricity prices in Pretoria are sickening these days, so I would like to get an inverter unit (if it's worth it). Can anyone recommend a good inverter, portable air conditioner or properly inform me of the pro's/con's of a portable air conditioner? We had a small one a long time ago that stopped working shortly after I got it (was a hand-me-down that didn't work lekker) so I sold it, and I loved it while I had it.

Room sizes - bedroom isn't too big, but living room/kitchen area is quite large. I'll be needing around 12,000~14,000 BTU, but can side on the small side here if needed. Noise isn't too much of an issue - it probably won't be running overnight and definitely won't be running for extended periods like days on end.

I'm looking to buy on Black Friday. I know Makro partakes and I also saw this one: https://www.makro.co.za/appliances/...0vHE1UHZ8RYlp1CM0QJb5bBgmWmmpwJRoCpgMQAvD_BwE and it seems to be an inverter unit (because it says variable speed) - but is it really?
Do you know what kind of insulation you have in your cieling? That should be your first consideration.
If your insulation is deficient, then you are just pumping energy out of your house.
Getting decent insulation in your cieling should already go a long way to cooling your house down (and keeping it warm in Winter).

P924

Expert Member
Invertor!!!
No more on / off noise from the compressor or the fan every couple of minutes :)
This is the biggest attraction of an inverter aircon.

The efficiency is a lot more dependent on the rest of the design and type of gas than the type of drive.

Also, I have never seen an inverter portable unit, they are also never very quiet nor very efficient, so it is kind of pointless for that application. Portable aircons are the bottom of the barrel cheapest aircons you can buy - there really is no market for fancy portables.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
I've got decent insulation in the ceiling. The heat that enters the house enters through the windows and the doors primarily, as direct sunlight baking the inside of the house warm/hot. In winter it's amazing - in summer not so much.

I don't mind the pipe running to a door or window - most of the air conditioners come with a "window attachment" for this purpose which I'm totally fine with. I already have locations for both in mind.

What I'm wondering is if there are inverter portable air conditioners available. Most I find seem to be using around 1kw/h which is in line with what I expected from these units, but inverters will obviously use a bit less.

pboy

Expert Member
portable air con is a flop man.
dont do it. you will sell it within a week.

inverter is no biggie.
get a non inverter, specc'd for your room size and you will be good. it will go off, and save you money. all new on inverters align with noise standards by SABS so they all whisper quiet... believe it.

scud

Just wondering how to go about purchasing
Would I just buy one through Makro etc. and then find an installer, or is it better to get advice from an installer first?
and can anyone recommend a decent installation co. in CT souther Suburbs ?

SlinkyMike

Executive Member

For that money you can almost afford a split unit. Also: remember that it's not just the heat exhaust pipe but also the condensation that needs to go somewhere. The number of times I have seen one of these on bricks with a tupperware underneath... oi.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Most of the modern units have a condensation system that exhausts it with the hot air out the tube. I'll definitely be getting one of those if I go portable.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Just wondering how to go about purchasing
Would I just buy one through Makro etc. and then find an installer, or is it better to get advice from an installer first?
and can anyone recommend a decent installation co. in CT souther Suburbs ?
Had good and well priced service from Cape Town Airconditioning before.