Inverter vs Non-inverter aircon unit for home use

A3@MBB

Just wondering how to go about purchasing
Would I just buy one through Makro etc. and then find an installer, or is it better to get advice from an installer first?
and can anyone recommend a decent installation co. in CT souther Suburbs ?
Makro and the like all have contracted installers that they arrange from the store. Extra installers page that you have to complete and you pay the install fees at the till together with the aircon.
Many aircon installers don't want to do such 3rd party installs, as they would rather do work where they can sell the hardware as well. They front it as some warranty hogwash

A3@MBB

Since its a revival of my old thread, some feedback is in order! ;)
I bought a 12k Defy invertor from Makro and also let their installers do the installation.

Quite pleased with the purchase and did the cooling job well during the heat of summer. The compressor is very quiet and I could not see a marked increase in my power consumption over the time that the unit was used.

If you are somewhat DIY inclined some good news to save a couple of ZAR's.
The units are quite easy to install and does come pre-charged, it a very simple process and I'm willing to give it a try with my next unit bought.
Only non-standard tools required are the copper pipe flange tool, but I'm sure that any proper bathroom/piping store will sell these.

Ripstorm

Since its a revival of my old thread, some feedback is in order! ;)
I bought a 12k Defy invertor from Makro and also let their installers do the installation.

Quite pleased with the purchase and did the cooling job well during the heat of summer. The compressor is very quiet and I could not see a marked increase in my power consumption over the time that the unit was used.

If you are somewhat DIY inclined some good news to save a couple of ZAR's.
The units are quite easy to install and does come pre-charged, it a very simple process and I'm willing to give it a try with my next unit bought.
Only non-standard tools required are the copper pipe flange tool, but I'm sure that any proper bathroom/piping store will sell these.

How much did Makro charge for installation if I may ask?

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
I had a Jet Air non-inverter split unit aircon, and only ever hear it if it was dead quiet in the house, and then it was less noisy than a standard ceiling fan on low.

As for a portable... never ever. The only time you get a portable is if you are renting a place.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
I am renting a place... :(

Our neighbors had JetAirs installed. Huuuuuge units, and I visited their place the other day. Cools down the whole damn house from the living room's side, comfortably. She just leaves the doors open and everything is chill.

A3@MBB

How much did Makro charge for installation if I may ask?
I can't remember 100%, but if I remember correctly it was in the R1400 ballpark for a back to back install.
I deemed it reasonable as it included an call-out (km to Paarl = no Makro) and a outside unit bracket.

ahmedy

Thread Resurrection - Any good deals to be found on inverter aircons guys?

Ecco

Executive Member
My 2c, i dont know if it exists or not, but i want an aircon which works like this. I set a temperature e.g. 21 deg and then the unit adjusts itself to cool the room down accordingly. When it starts its going full force to bring the temperature down, afterwards it just hums along and maintains the temperature. I dont think my Jet Aircon works like this, and its an invertor

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Then either one of two things is happening:

1. Your aircon never reaches 21°C, so it can't turn down.
2. It's broken.

Inverter is supposed to "tune down" as the set temperature gets closer and closer. That's it's whole point.

rubber_otter

Expert Member
Thread Resurrection - Any good deals to be found on inverter aircons guys?

I am getting quotes on 12000btu Inverter split units. Alan Saffer on Facebook (The Right Temperature is his companies name) gave me a price of R8665 installed. The brand is IQ, and it is wifi enabled.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
I am getting quotes on 12000btu Inverter split units. Alan Saffer on Facebook (The Right Temperature is his companies name) gave me a price of R8665 installed. The brand is IQ, and it is wifi enabled.
That's a great price for a 12k BUT installed with that ability.

Thor

Honorary Master
Is allianse a good brand, how does it compare to Samsung?

Tman*

Expert Member
Is allianse a good brand, how does it compare to Samsung?
No idea, this did put my mind at ease somewhat:

Warranty (subject to an annual Service)

• 5 year on movable parts
  • 5 year compressor warranty

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Alliance is good. The other day I spoke to a guy who owns an HVAC company, and he said there's not really "bad" aircon brands on the market anymore. It's more "can I get parts for services" and stuff like that. So brand like Gree (that's just starting out here) might raise a Q or two.

However, Alliance is brilliant.

If you're looking for some great AC deals, Builders Warehouse had some great ones I saw the other day. Also check out www.acdirect.co.za. And before you take the plunge, check with local guys (often run from home) who do AC installs. Sometimes they can get them for amazing deals.

Tman*

Expert Member
Alliance is good. The other day I spoke to a guy who owns an HVAC company, and he said there's not really "bad" aircon brands on the market anymore. It's more "can I get parts for services" and stuff like that. So brand like Gree (that's just starting out here) might raise a Q or two.

However, Alliance is brilliant.

If you're looking for some great AC deals, Builders Warehouse had some great ones I saw the other day. Also check out www.acdirect.co.za. And before you take the plunge, check with local guys (often run from home) who do AC installs. Sometimes they can get them for amazing deals.
another friend actually recommended AC direct too. The service leaves a lot to be desired tho

fishfly

Honorary Master
another friend actually recommended AC direct too. The service leaves a lot to be desired tho
My in laws just bought a Daikin on the black friday deal. Installation great but the process to have the installing was rather poor I waited well over 3 weeks and no one knew what was dropping off the unit and when the installation is happening. So I ended up being the project manager and getting them deliver at the right time and come out when delivery was done...