Inverter Welder

mamoo zn

Hi all

Given the mirage of black Friday deals - I have been wanting a DIY welding machine for sometime.

I want to construct a few small stands and also a driveway gate (wooden panels and metal frame).

I noticed a ryobi inverter welder 140amp for sale for about 699.

I have done an appy course many moons back on welding so I know the basics.

However I went to check the ryobi out and it feels like a computer power supply.

I know the old school machines are transformer driven with oil cooling (hence the weight).

I understand how the inverter works in theory but has anyone had any practice using these "baby" welding machines.

I might also construct a gate or two - however not going to use it commercially.

Makro has the 200 amp inverter for 999 during BF - however I don't know if it will get the job / jobs done.

I am looking at joining on a 45 degree 38 * 38 tubing for the driveway gate.

Any practical experience using these will be appreciated.

Thank you and have a great day

Drifter

Honorary Master
Funny you should ask this. I saw the maintenance guy for our building at work use one of these. I asked him out about it and he said is nothing short of brilliant. Reckons you can even do big jobs with them and they are well worth the money.

Where is this BF deal?

mamoo zn

Funny you should ask this. I saw the maintenance guy for our building at work use one of these. I asked him out about it and he said is nothing short of brilliant. Reckons you can even do big jobs with them and they are well worth the money.

Where is this BF deal?
Thanks man - I checked a few youtube videos & they reckon it's awesome. The Ryobi 140amp is available at Makro and Pick n Pay hyper. Comes with a helmet/brush/cables. According to game their Fragram brand will be on sale tomorrow for 699. The helmet is pretty average so might need to get an auto darkening mask. I was trying to ascertain whether I would need the 200amp over the 140amp. Makro has both whereas other stores only have the 140amp.

Thanks guys.

mamoo zn

http://www.mica.co.za/ - also the ryobi for 699. Limited stock - might shoot of at lunch to hunt one down. I am engineer turned software dev, however I quiet enjoy making my own stuff from carpentry to metal work.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
My father in law uses one extensively. Not a Ryobi, but man it works lekker. The much better weight is also a big pro, since you pack everything (welder, rods, helmet, cables, etc.) into a crate and one person can easily carry it. A lot easier than with the old oil welders that weighed 40kg and had to be loaded on a bakkie by two people.

EDIT: I think his is a MatWeld, but the point is - they work just fine for DIY home use, and even some professional use.

smkungfu

Hi all

Given the mirage of black Friday deals - I have been wanting a DIY welding machine for sometime.

I want to construct a few small stands and also a driveway gate (wooden panels and metal frame).

I noticed a ryobi inverter welder 140amp for sale for about 699.

I have done an appy course many moons back on welding so I know the basics.

However I went to check the ryobi out and it feels like a computer power supply.

I know the old school machines are transformer driven with oil cooling (hence the weight).

I understand how the inverter works in theory but has anyone had any practice using these "baby" welding machines.

I might also construct a gate or two - however not going to use it commercially.

Makro has the 200 amp inverter for 999 during BF - however I don't know if it will get the job / jobs done.

I am looking at joining on a 45 degree 38 * 38 tubing for the driveway gate.

Any practical experience using these will be appreciated.

Thank you and have a great day
That's actually a good deal. I have a Reflex 160 amp. I sometimes do heavy work and works like a charm. It's so light that it comes with a sling to carry around.

Moereloos

For normal DIY you should not need more than 160A. This will handle rods of up to 3.2mm easily.

The beauty of an inverter welder is a duty cycle of to 80%, where an oil cooled welder has about 30%. The duty cycle is the number of minutes on average you can weld per 10 minutes without having to let it cool down, i.e. 80% is eight minutes out of every 10. This is also a BIG bonus.

SykomantiS

Expert Member
My dad has one. He seems chuffed with it- although I'm not sure of the specs of his unit.

Also, probably useless info:

GoB

Expert Member
Ryobi :sick: I would personally get anything else but I guess you could get lucky.

mamoo zn

Thanks for the info. Welding is not difficult as with everything safety comes first. There is a technique in the wrist when I did my appy course for getting a good bead. I like the video posted. Do a few trial runs at different amperages for different thickness rods. If it does not break in 7 days - it's a good deal ;) Tradeweld seems to be induna of the inverter welding machines.

upup

Executive Member
Mine was on a special for R1400. I replace the earth with a decent co-op clamp. I also got a R250 auto helmet. My welding machine already fell 2 meters far and still works. Got it from just tools.

desiganp

As an amateur welder, I find the inverter welder easier to weld with than the oil cooled welders. There is less sticking of rod to metal when striking, much smoother. If using an extension cord, ensure it is heavy duty cable.