Investigation into Cape principal’s remarks about student teacher’s hairstyle

Flywheel

Honorary Master
Cape Town - The Western Cape Education Department (WCED) and the University of Stellenbosch (US) are investigating Vredenburg Primary School, after the principal allegedly denied a second-year education student an opportunity to observe a class because of his hairstyle.

William Sezoe, 19, who bleached the top of his hair blonde, was required to start his compulsory class observation last Monday at the school of his choice for two weeks, as part of his module.

However, he alleged that he was chased away by Andre Muller, the principal of the Vredenburg Primary School, after repeatedly saying that he was not welcome in “his” school “with that kind of hair”, as he would set learners a bad example.

Sezoe said after the barrage from the principal, in front of staff, learners and their parents, he left with a broken heart and reported to a local office of the provincial education department, where he found a long queue of people.

“I then decided to go home, but inside I was dying.

“How the principal acted towards me touched my heart, and I vented out on social media, because I wanted to calm myself. He could have just spoken nicely, maybe call me to his office to address the situation, not to shout in front of learners, teachers and parents,” said Sezoe.

WCED spokesperson Bronagh Hammond said the department has been made aware of the incident. However, she said initial reports from both sides were contradictory, and the department was therefore making further enquiries.

Flywheel

Honorary Master
I’m sure he will now get some money from eff and a bit of fame,the student

I can understand the principals point of view. A school has rules and one of those rules is dress and grooming for educators.... you don't want to set a bad example for the kids.

I don't think the principal was racist like the media is claiming. "You are not welcome in my school with that kind of hair" is just a statement referring to the student teachers hairstyle. He is also culturally expropriating the White mans hair colour.

If I was the principal, I would be fired for saying him "Go wipe that dried piss off the top of your head then come back".

sand_man

Honorary Master
However, he alleged that he was chased away by Andre Muller, the principal of the Vredenburg Primary School, after repeatedly saying that he was not welcome in “his” school “with that kind of hair”, as he would set learners a bad example.
Ridiculously conservative thinking. Chill Andre, chill brother.... the way you address a fellow brother in public, in front of your precious students, is a far more damaging example to set, than any amount of bleached hair!!

Unfortunately for Andre, as with all things race related in sunny SA, this whole episode is going to be milked to the absolute maximum!!

Imagine if there was a proportionate response every time a black kid drowned in a pit toilet?

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
Principal need to move on from his conservative "verkramp" mindset, and realise learning is about moving forward with ideas not sticking to outdated stupidity about hair styling.
No wonder education is so stuffed up when those in charge are still stuck in the past.

Dups!

Expert Member
I can understand the principals point of view. A school has rules and one of those rules is dress and grooming for educators.... you don't want to set a bad example for the kids.

I don't think the principal was racist like the media is claiming. "You are not welcome in my school with that kind of hair" is just a statement referring to the student teachers hairstyle. He is also culturally expropriating the White mans hair colour.

If I was the principal, I would be fired for saying him "Go wipe that dried piss off the top of your head then come back".
Really?

Albinos (black) have that kind of hair.

Trying too hard, I see.

EADC

Executive Member
Ridiculously conservative thinking. Chill Andre, chill brother.... the way you address a fellow brother in public, in front of your precious students, is a far more damaging example to set, than any amount of bleached hair!!

Unfortunately for Andre, as with all things race related in sunny SA, this whole episode is going to be milked to the absolute maximum!!

Imagine if there was a proportionate response every time a black kid drowned in a pit toilet?
Let's be honest the EFF don't care about black kids.

Their only power is "fighting racism".

ES1

Hair we go again. Hair is one of the worst things, there is always problems around it, too short, too long, then there is a .. when the hairdresser makes it purple or yellow or orange and not blonde. This one wants straight that one wants curls blah blah blah. I only have a problem in cases where hairdo's obstruct another's view. These days schools hair rules are also atrocious, saw a boy the other day with white, white, bleached hair - would never been tolerated when I was in school, but now in a big city it hardly gets noticed. Problem this is a very small town, small country school. They are very narrow minded.