Investigation into Cape principal’s remarks about student teacher’s hairstyle

Escapee

Without knowing the dress code for teachers I’d go with what is an acceptable hairstyle for a normal job. That is a perfectly acceptable hairstyle. Dress code aside, judging people based on how they look is not a smart way of going about life in general.

SAguy

Executive Member
Without knowing the dress code for teachers I’d go with what is an acceptable hairstyle for a normal job. That is a perfectly acceptable hairstyle. Dress code aside, judging people based on how they look is not a smart way of going about life in general.
At our workplace we had an individual with long hair, dyed with tints of green and pink. "They" also wore nailpolish.

I say "they" because that was this individuals chosen pronoun.

Edit: To be clear this person's biological sex was male.

surface

Honorary Master
At our workplace we had an individual with long hair, dyed with tints of green and pink. "They" also wore nailpolish.

I say "they" because that was this individuals chosen pronoun.

Edit: To be clear this person's biological sex was male.
I wonder if anyone said 'You are not welcome' to the person?

surface

Honorary Master
Probably not. Should this kind of dress code be allowed in school though - I dunno.
Is it stated in the dress code policy not to wear nail polish? Did parents accept it? Is it acceptable to put that clause as per constitution?

Escapee

Probably not. Should this kind of dress code be allowed in school though - I dunno.
As long as they are good teachers that resonate with the kids it doesn’t matter.
William was there as an observer, complete non-issue.

SAguy

Executive Member
Is it stated in the dress code policy not to wear nail polish? Did parents accept it? Is it acceptable to put that clause as per constitution?
All good questions - most school policies will say things like hair must be neat, but who determines what's neat - that's very subjective.

We have freedom of expression in our constitution - but would that include wearing a clown wig to school if you wanted?

SAguy

Executive Member
As long as they are good teachers that resonate with the kids it doesn’t matter.
William was there as an observer, complete non-issue.
I just wonder where you draw the line... do you even have to draw a line
If a male teacher came as a crossdresser, or a teacher came with crazy face tattoos, or all kinds of body modifications - is there a line somewhere before that?

surface

Honorary Master
All good questions - most school policies will say things like hair must be neat, but who determines what's neat - that's very subjective.

We have freedom of expression in our constitution - but would that include wearing a clown wig to school if you wanted?
Yes.. can one come naked? Can one bring a snake along? What about cheetah? or a skunk? All good questions and need to be tested in ConCourt.

EADC

Executive Member
I just wonder where you draw the line... do you even have to draw a line
If a male teacher came as a crossdresser, or a teacher came with crazy face tattoos, or all kinds of body modifications - is there a line somewhere before that?

Why are we hiding kids away from things? this is why we have adults that are not emotionally capable to deal with people who are different becasue we hide them from kids in the guise of protecting them.

Its really silly.

The Trutherizer

Expert Member
Well this is some BS right here.
I sympathise with natural hair - Not a Top Deck.
In any case. Abolish all hairstyle standards in schools. It is clear that people have lost the plot, and it's just causing k*k now.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Jirre, what k@k. During my time at school you were sent home for hair being too long, gel in hair, dyed hair, bleached hair, etc. There are dress codes for a reason
What about brown hair with blonde highlights? Would you prefer schools to have prescribed hairstyles for teachers?

ForceFate

Honorary Master
The teachers had the same rules, you can't have a teacher do what they want and then expect the students to follow the rules
My teachers at the lower grades wore uniform (blue dresses and black shoes...all female). However, things changed as we moved higher up the grades. But they were allowed hairstyles of their choice I think.

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
I'm indifferent about the whole hair/school saga... but where do you draw the line on what's allowed?

Can a boy then have a full on beard in school? Or have butt length hair dyed pink?

Surely at some point it becomes too much?

And who then decides at what point that is?
If it doesnt impede the student/scolars learning, and lends itself to their sense of self worth, self esteem and self confidence, all of which play a crucial part in a persons learning ability, then it should be accepted.

The days of the collective state control mindset of thought, dress code and hairstyles for learners are gone, it is as outdated as the Model T Ford.