Investing in cryptocurrency is gambling - Analyst

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Investing in anything directly without knowing what you are doing is gambling.

Crypto and Equities aren't any different in that regard.

saor

Honorary Master
“You may get it spectacularly right and retire a decade or two early, but you will, at some point, get it very, very, very spectacularly wrong,” said Zietsman.
Trading platforms provide the tools to prevent it going spectacularly wrong. Decide how much % loss you're willing to incur and set your stop-losses accordingly. Risk management.

The comparison to gambling is also a bit sensationalist.
I don't know what the roulette wheel will land on or what cards I'll get dealt.
With crypto I at least have the benefit of:

● Information regarding a project - website, whitepaper, community percetptions etc.
● A wide range of opinions on the project
● Charts that allow a more informed decision to be made

I can understand people having a disagreement about the fundamental value of the underlying asset (cryptocurrencies), but the way in which these assets are traded and exchanged is a far cry from the randomness of gambling.

Last edited:

access

Executive Member
and? whats the point here, why not say investing is a gamble. **** happens.

sucked

Banned
Compared to investing on the JSE which everybody knows is an exact science :rolleyes:
****, I gambled when I got married.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
So is investing in the stock market
Yes, but there you can have a diversified portfolio over 1000s of companies and many different geographies and many currencies.

Cryptocurrencies are just currencies.

Last edited:

Temujin

Executive Member
Nice that PortfolioMetrix is able to guarantee returns:crylaugh:

Temujin

Executive Member
Yes, but there you can have a diversified portfolio over 1000s of companies and many different geographies and many currencies.

Crypto is just currencies.
Cryptos a lot more than just currencies, its companies, apps, platforms, streaming services, accounting, shipping, payroll, cloud storage, solar etc etc etc;)

C4Cat

Executive Member
Cryptos a lot more than just currencies, its companies, apps, platforms, streaming services, accounting, shipping, payroll, cloud storage, solar etc etc etc;)
None of which has anything to do with a crypto-currency's value. I agree it's gambling as there is no way whatsoever to predict the movements of value. Often volatile, for no apparent reason.