Investing: Sasol

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
Someone I know picked up 6 figures on ACL (100% ROI).
Despite pessimism about the economy, there are still opportunities for good returns. DRD went from approximately R3 per share to round R25 not too long ago. LEW was at R12 less than a year ago, now at about R30. ADAPTIT has gone from R1.10 to R6.90.

I'm sure there are plenty of other examples in the last year or two - but how to spot the next such opportunity? :unsure:

L-Dog

Expert Member
Despite pessimism about the economy, there are still opportunities for good returns. DRD went from approximately R3 per share to round R25 not too long ago. LEW was at R12 less than a year ago, now at about R30. ADAPTIT has gone from R1.10 to R6.90.

I'm sure there are plenty of other examples in the last year or two - but how to spot the next such opportunity? :unsure:

Short is difficult as no one is sure how the 3rd wave will hit us in winter

Short Term: ACL
Medium Term: Stadio
Medium Term: EOH (gamble)
Long Term: Capitec / Naspers / Asphen

L-Dog

Expert Member
With a very real risk of it going to zero... be careful.

Met a guy who had regular meetings with them as they own a ridiculous amount of land. The management and board are beyond difficult to deal with and have no plan would stay away

Crush

Met a guy who had regular meetings with them as they own a ridiculous amount of land. The management and board are beyond difficult to deal with and have no plan would stay away
Agreed. Definitely something to consider. The management team need to be on top of things and u need to be able to see a new plan to dig them out of the hole.

Land in itself is no longer as valuable, appealing or safe as it used to be. And they have property as well. But much of their land and property are tied into their deals, which if they default on, get sold for cents on the rand to repay the loan.

So yeah, risky punt. Unlike a sasol situation I think this little sugar company may not exist in the future. So there is a fair chance that new shareholders will bail out the old owners if u put money into it now.

gertvanjoe

Expert Member
Any speculation about what the interim result coming out 17 May would look like for Redefine. I'm hoping they declare some dividends this year, could really use a nice reinvestment boost to my portfolio at the current price

geezer

Expert Member
A steady climb in the share price would be welcome, we've got 220 shares that will be sold on the 1st of June. If anyone has Elon Musk on speed-dial, ask him to buy some Sasol shares just before then, see what his buying of bitcoin did to it's price!:cool:

gertvanjoe

Expert Member
A steady climb in the share price would be welcome, we've got 220 shares that will be sold on the 1st of June. If anyone has Elon Musk on speed-dial, ask him to buy some Sasol shares just before then, see what his buying of bitcoin did to it's price!:cool:
Just FYI, market makers sees a lot of selling activity, prices goes down. I opted to just sell enough to cover my tax