Investors must forgive Eskom R146 billion debt so it can meet climate goals, deputy finance minister says

justplain

Expert Member
I'm going to get all my shopping done at Woolies this week and simply walk out without paying and then say...oh, forgive me, thanks.

rvZA

Executive Member
Holy s**t! Just saw this article.... South Africa is in really big trouble with the ANC regime.....

system32

Expert Member
I'm going to get all my shopping done at Woolies this week and simply walk out without paying and then say...oh, forgive me, thanks.
More like:
I'm going to get all my shopping done at Woolies this week and simply walk out without paying and then say...
I have a pollution problem at home.
Woolies, you breathe the same polluted air as there is only one earth. Please help me.
I don't have money to clean up as I'm 3rd world (and have corruption).

Woolies can spend $10b green fund on:
a) making there clean store even cleaner
or
b) spend $10b in a 3rd world ZA and have a bigger world impact.

neoprema

Executive Member
No, investors should demand more interest.

the sooner that sinking ship is sent out to finally go under the better. Then let privates buy it out and lets get moving!

Happy Days

Expert Member
No, investors should demand more interest.

the sooner that sinking ship is sent out to finally go under the better. Then let privates buy it out and lets get moving!
The problem with that is by then we will be another failed state with with crumbling infrastructure, rampant corruption, most of the citizens living below the poverty line, etc.

****, i just described the situation for a big part of this country. I can't see a forward until such time that people actually stop voting for the ANC/EFF/etc., but that's never going to happen in a country where the bulk of the citizens has a renter's mentality as opposed to an owner's mentality. Nobody gives a f__ck and expects everyone else to solve the issues.

system32

Expert Member
this is a guy in finance ministry who came up with this gem? how very ANC of you my good man.
forgive the irresponsible debt made? many of us on this very forum would also like some forgiveness of debt, but we are likely to be frowned apon.
as far as pledging to do better... i'm not sure how well SA gov's pledges and promises are viewed other than worthy of p!ssing all over, given the track record of responsible handling of state business and funds.
perhaps we have dissapointed a few too many times with corrupt and irresponsible wasting of money, always 'promises' of a better next time, and when the money is all gone, again, then come and hold out the open hand for another bail out
cant fault the anc for lack of persistence in trying
FYI:
Rich nations head to South Africa seeking coal exit deal

justplain

Expert Member
Build some power plants, get all your natural resources and fresh produce from us for free.... I see what you did there.....

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Ahhh... .good old blackmail. Write off our debt or we'll carry on sending the eeebil carbons your way.

Oldfut

Ahhh... .good old blackmail. Write off our debt or we'll carry on sending the eeebil carbons your way.
Sad thing is that it may work and SA / Eskom may get some loot. But it's chance of improving SA's position is just about zero. The money, methinks she will disappear.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Sad thing is that it may work and SA / Eskom may get some loot. But it's chance of improving SA's position is just about zero. The money, methinks she will disappear.
I am trying to understand why people, especially South Africans, are so aggrieved about the whole thing, why is it a sad thing? We have good leadership at Eskom, we have a government that is supportive, has created an enabling environment for the rot to be rooted out and is seemingly not negatively interfering in the running of the company.

Why is it a sad thing when they get support like this since all the signsare there that they are on the right track?

We were here congratulating DeRuyter for a job well done on reducing debt, here is a chance to reduce that even more and we are grumbling, don't we prefer a debt free or at least an Eskom with a manageable debt?

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
I am trying to understand why people, especially South Africans, are so aggrieved about the whole thing, why is it a sad thing? We have good leadership at Eskom, we have a government that is supportive, has created an enabling environment for the rot to be rooted out and is seemingly not negatively interfering in the running of the company.

Why is it a sad thing when they get support like this since all the signsare there that they are on the right track?

We were here congratulating DeRuyter for a job well done on reducing debt, here is a chance to reduce that even more and we are grumbling, don't we prefer a debt free or at least an Eskom with a manageable debt?

I think a bit of nuance is needed. There is some good leadership at Eskom, with a lot of rot that still needs to be weeded out. We have a government that says its supportive whilst still doing its damnedest to fsck the economy into the ground, and also one that claims to have created an enabling environment but after 2 years there is still almost no real traction on any major "fish" being dealt with.

There is lots that COULD be good if basic implementation was done, but more often than not at the moment all we get is words and zero implementation (so pretty much a status quo as we've had for many many years).

DeRuyter is making the right moves and some of them are paying off yes, but many more of them would see better traction if our government wasn't so hellbent on its retarded ideologies.

Oldfut

Except maybe for the grid, the whole show should be privatised. Eskom should be specifically excluded from renewable energy projects, unless of course some of us want more Chancellor House / Medupi "deals". A hyaena does not change its spots.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Except maybe for the grid, the whole show should be privatised. Eskom should be specifically excluded from renewable energy projects, unless of course some of us want more Chancellor House / Medupi "deals". A hyaena does not change its spots.
I get that, but I want to understand the part where a South African complains about the debt Eskom has and complains even more when it looks like there are plans for the creditors to write that debt off in exchange for some climate friendly interventions.

What would you rather have? Why does it irk you so much that there is a possibility that they could have the debt written off?

grok

Honorary Master
I get that, but I want to understand the part where a South African complains about the debt Eskom has and complains even more when it looks like there are plans for the creditors to write that debt off in exchange for some climate friendly interventions.

What would you rather have? Why does it irk you so much that there is a possibility that they could have the debt written off?
Maybe because it sounds all good but we know the ANC where a lot of money is involved.

You might just be the only fool to believe Ramaphosa when he says they're cutting the rot, but then gives the biggest tumor medical parole to stay & fester.

Logic, fail, how in your mind does that make sense?