iOS 11’s Misleading “Off-ish” Setting for Bluetooth and Wi-Fi is Bad for User Securit

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Staff member
iOS 11’s Misleading “Off-ish” Setting for Bluetooth and Wi-Fi is Bad for User Security

Turning off your Bluetooth and Wi-Fi radios when you’re not using them is good security practice (not to mention good for your battery usage). When you consider Bluetooth’s known vulnerabilities, it’s especially important to make sure your Bluetooth and Wi-Fi settings are doing what you want them to. The iPhone’s newest operating system, however, makes it harder for users to control these settings.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Apple was already tempporarily switching on WiFi in the previous iOS versions. Windows 10 do it as well. It seems they have to comply with NWO quidelines.

A sign that WWWIII is coming.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Mountain out of a molehill regarding the complaints for this "issue".

access

Honorary Master
need a cellphone/laptop pouch/cover that's made from a wire mesh covering the entire device, faraday it. only take it out when you need to use it..

i find it funny how they promote openness and sharing or wtf ever, but commit these practices dishonestly. reminds of the movie, the circle.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
The only thing that bugs me about all this is... 5am? :wtf:

heartbroken

Expert Member
Mountain out of a molehill regarding the complaints for this "issue".

This is pissing me off to no end, my phone keeps connecting to my car's bluetooth when I don't want it to, it connects to my home stereo and buggers up whatever is playing at the time etc etc.

I used to quickly flip bluetooth on when I needed to make a call and then off again, leaving my tablet connected with my music, but this.....

I had a couple of iPhones over past years (and iPad, mac & apple tv) but I think this is my last one, this is just ridiculous.

werfie

Expert Member
iOS 11 is the biggest piece of crap. I didn’t backup else I would restore 10.2. I have endless issues on my 32gb 7 plus

sajunky

Honorary Master
need a cellphone/laptop pouch/cover that's made from a wire mesh covering the entire device, faraday it. only take it out when you need to use it..
Making a battery non-removable was the first step to take device ownership of your hands.

Dave

Honorary Master
This is pissing me off to no end, my phone keeps connecting to my car's bluetooth when I don't want it to, it connects to my home stereo and buggers up whatever is playing at the time etc etc.

I used to quickly flip bluetooth on when I needed to make a call and then off again, leaving my tablet connected with my music, but this.....

I had a couple of iPhones over past years (and iPad, mac & apple tv) but I think this is my last one, this is just ridiculous.

How hard is it to go to Settings - Bluetooth - Off?

Dave

Honorary Master
Extra steps, right?

Extra step, I suppose. Control Centre is swipe up - click off.

Having said that, my Bluetooth has never reconnected to a device by itself after being switched “off” in control centre.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
iOS 11 is the biggest piece of crap. I didn’t backup else I would restore 10.2. I have endless issues on my 32gb 7 plus

Even with a backup you can't by default.

But your specific mention of 10.2 tells me you probably know that.

access

Honorary Master
How hard is it to go to Settings - Bluetooth - Off?

funny you say this.

2 days ago I put my phone on the table next to a bluetooth bose speaker, the phones bluetooth switched itself on as I watched the screen while walking away.

also my phones bluetooth is always off, but still when I got into my car, the car said, "please pair device" I did eventually, and the car stopped talking to me. rude.

also not too long ago, I was informed by a source with knowledge that connectivity in smartphones is never really switched off and is used for various data collection activities.