iOS 12.1 set to launch soon with dual-SIM support for new iPhones - Report

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
iOS 12.1 set to launch soon with dual-SIM support for new iPhones - Report

Carriers are readying for a launch of iOS 12.1 on 30 October that will provide eSIM support for the new iPhones, according to 9to5Mac.

Apple’s Dual-SIM Dual-Standby system – one physical nano-SIM and one eSIM – lets owners use cellphone numbers and mobile data services from two networks in the same iPhone, where the phone will actively answer calls from both numbers automatically.

lordnokon

Wonder if this will fix my current problem. When connected and leaving a WiFi Network, I need to switch my phone to airplane mode and back before my Service Provider data will work :confused: both mine and my wife's (IPhone X)

Visser

Expert Member
iOS 12.1 set to launch soon with dual-SIM support for new iPhones

Does this mean South African carriers will no longer be selling new iPhones?

namzsteve

Expert Member
Wonder if this will fix my current problem. When connected and leaving a WiFi Network, I need to switch my phone to airplane mode and back before my Service Provider data will work :confused: both mine and my wife's (IPhone X)

I know my 6S used to do this, on Telkom mobile. If I disconnected from wifi to mobile data, the phone would simply not connect via mobile data, I would have to fight with it to just establish a data connection.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Sure but what does that have to do with no longer selling iPhones?

They just aren't interest in the dual-sim capability.
I think he's saying that if iOS and iPhones all go dual SIM, will those two stick to not be interested (and not sell) - or would they buckle and sell?

I'm late to the party with a dual SIM phone ... But I love it! Vodacom is making far less than they used to off me

Visser

Expert Member
Sure but what does that have to do with no longer selling iPhones?

They just aren't interest in the dual-sim capability.

Exactly what I asked in my post above.

Does this mean they will no longer be selling new iPhones (with dual sim capability in the phone and O/S)? Or, perhaps they will ask Apple to continue making single sim versions too and only buy them...

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Exactly what I asked in my post above.

Does this mean they will no longer be selling new iPhones (with dual sim capability in the phone and O/S)? Or, perhaps they will ask Apple to continue making single sim versions too and only buy them...
They'll just block it like they do with all the 'droids. Voda/MTN still working on supporting esim anyway.

Visser

Expert Member
I think he's saying that if iOS and iPhones all go dual SIM, will those two stick to not be interested (and not sell) - or would they buckle and sell?

I'm late to the party with a dual SIM phone ... But I love it! Vodacom is making far less than they used to off me

Yep, that was my thoughts. From what I read so far, it appears Apple may in future release all their devices with dual-sim capabilities, but I stand corrected.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

But they've already sold them? Every new iPhone sold recently is a dual-sim phone.

I suspect you guys have missed some pertinent details here, or thinking completely along the wrong tracks.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Yep, that was my thoughts. From what I read so far, it appears Apple may in future release all their devices with dual-sim capabilities, but I stand corrected.

They are already all dual-sim capable.

Just not the conventional way you are thinking of.

Dolby

Honorary Master
But they've already sold them? Every new iPhone sold recently is a dual-sim phone.

I suspect you guys have missed some pertinent details here, or thinking completely along the wrong tracks.
I'm just telling you what he means ... I don't know if they sell them or not *shrug*

So what do they do?
They work?

Visser

Expert Member
They use a conventional SIM and then have the eSIM to enable the Dual capability so that when you travel you can jump onto any SP without even going to see them and just do it wherever you are.

Nobody in SA is activating eSIM yet, but it's only a matter of time.

https://support.apple.com/en-za/HT209044

Yep, I saw @backstreetboy mentioning the eSim and the fact that they are still working on it. Just wondering if they will actually go through with it since they refuse to sell dual-sim capable Android devices.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Yep, I saw @backstreetboy mentioning the eSim and the fact that they are still working on it. Just wondering if they will actually go through with it since they refuse to sell dual-sim capable Android devices.

Well hardware/firmware wise it's not up to them.

So whoever in SA gets eSIM support first will be able to offer packages on secondary sims.

Which would be a very big win for someone like Rain or FNB Connect and the like.