iOS 8 Keyboards

rorz0r

Executive Member
If they've done it for phones I'm sure they'll do it for ipads soon. Maybe taking longer because the android tab one has quite a few layouts to choose from.

zippy

Honorary Master
I was initially excited about this new feature, but tbh, I cant be bothered. Lol. I really don't give a sh**t how it looks. I guess Im more concerned about the functionality than the nice pretty colours.

fxit_man

Executive Member
I've tried swiftkey but tbh meh.

Of course the feature and third party apps at the moment are in their early stages, but I think some good can definitely come from third part keyboard support - afrikaans support, etc.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Of course the feature and third party apps at the moment are in their early stages, but I think some good can definitely come from third part keyboard support - afrikaans support, etc.

Afrikaans support is pretty low on my list of must haves. The keyboard works, seemingly well, but I'm not seeing any benefit of using it.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Afrikaans support is pretty low on my list of must haves. The keyboard works, seemingly well, but I'm not seeing any benefit of using it.

It takes a bit for the advantage to kick in. The more I use it the more intuitive it gets to the point now where it predicts about half my words around 3 letters in.

Anyway I hear ios8 has a great new keyboard now (whereas the default on my s5 is a little basic for my wants). So whatever works best for you.

Having Afrikaans and English on at the same time is handy though in my case :)

It takes a bit for the advantage to kick in. The more I use it the more intuitive it gets to the point now where it predicts about half my words around 3 letters in.

Anyway I hear ios8 has a great new keyboard now (whereas the default on my s5 is a little basic for my wants). So whatever works best for you.

Having Afrikaans and English on at the same time is handy though in my case :)

Exactly, I've written complete sentences with just the predictions. Also, if you are used to typing every single word, it takes some getting used to, to look at the prediction row first and not the keys which you intend to press. But once your brain catches up to the awesomeness of the keyboard, then only you'll experience the true power of the it.

cerebus

Honorary Master
I've tried swiftkey but tbh meh.

Swiftkey is meh. I have it on my phone now and disabled it. I use Swype which can be bloody fast if you get used to it, but honestly I've always found the iOS keyboard to be rock solid and the iOS8 one looks improved also so I'm not sure how big of a deal it is to have Swype. I reckon you could get some speed improvement on it though.

GreyBush

Executive Member
Having issues with swiftkey...

1. If I swipe down on my home screen the keyboard occasionally doesn't come up, this has also happened in a text message.
2. If I search in safari and the the thing I'm searching for doesn't come up then pressing the arrow doesn't press enter it makes a space... forcing me to tap the screen to select what I want to search, irritating.

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
I'm not getting an Afrikaans option on Swiftkey, is it because I got it at the US store? I want an Afrikaans keyboard on my iPhone, please!

Having issues with swiftkey...

1. If I swipe down on my home screen the keyboard occasionally doesn't come up, this has also happened in a text message.
2. If I search in safari and the the thing I'm searching for doesn't come up then pressing the arrow doesn't press enter it makes a space... forcing me to tap the screen to select what I want to search, irritating.

Yeah it's still slightly buggy. iOS 8.0.1 should fix some issues, Apple actually just posted the update now, then pulled it shortly after.

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
Regarding the swiping to type, when you learn to do it, it can be amazingly quick and accurate. It leaves tapping in the dust, especially since you don't have to push spacebar, just pick your thumb up and it makes a space. I got used to it on my Lumia with Windows 8.1, and it was one of the things I missed the most!

fxit_man

Executive Member
Thanks for the tip bruv; DL'ed yet. Yet to test it properly; is it better than SwiftKey in your opinion?

You're welcome! To be honest I don't use any of them as I type quicker without then haha. Try both and see what works best for you. I've heard good things from both