AlphaJohn

Honorary Master
Windows tablets are a grey area to be honest. that said the Windows 8 touch screen devices are seriously overpriced

Windows tablets is nothing new, hell I had one back in 2002. The problem it seems is that most OEM's kinda miss what makes a portable tablet portable. With both Android and iOS tablets ar always on devices that in general have 8+ hours of continuous operation.

Windows Pro tablets fail at this as they are power hungry and can barely hit the 6 hour mark, and their answer to always on seems to be fast boot. As for Windows RT tablets, it still lacks in applications and will only become viable once they hit critical numbers.

Microsoft made a big mistake not clearly separating the 2 in my eyes, making customers think they both one and the same when they clearly are not. They should remove the pretend "desktop" out of RT and left Modern UI to RT only, with an ability to run Modern UI applications on a normal desktop like with ModernMix

cYcLIc

It may be a different story if it were actually possible to get Windows tablets here - atleast less than double the US price.

@Cyclic, it might just be because they haven't actually used them. I show alot of people my Surface and they like it a lot. And they love the idea of a touchscreen on a laptop when I show them my ultrabook.
My wife is a lecturer and uses a Windows 8 tablet too, and lots of her colleagues and students want one.

Yeah thats probably why. I got the Lenovo A720 AIO desktop and would definately need a touchscreen on my next Windows 8 laptop.

roguemat

Expert Member
Windows tablets is nothing new, hell I had one back in 2002. The problem it seems is that most OEM's kinda miss what makes a portable tablet portable. With both Android and iOS tablets ar always on devices that in general have 8+ hours of continuous operation.

Windows Pro tablets fail at this as they are power hungry and can barely hit the 6 hour mark, and their answer to always on seems to be fast boot. As for Windows RT tablets, it still lacks in applications and will only become viable once they hit critical numbers. Microsoft made a big mistake not clearly separating the 2 in my eyes, making customers think they both one and the same.

They should remove the "pretend desktop" out of RT and left Modern UI to RT only, with an ability to run Modern UI applications on a desktop like with ModernMix

I can last a whole work day on one charge. It can play video for almost 6 hours on one charge. I think that is very impressive, and I will happily sacrifice a few hours compared to an iPad considering I can run Visual Studio...

@Fudzy, it won't. It is reference hardware that Intel sends to OEM's to base their ultrabooks off of. That is why all other ultrabooks generally looks like this one.

Maverick Jester

The Special One
All I did was point out that SA has been publicly humiliated for releasing incorrect numbers in the last week.
Asymco, which is the only source I have referenced, has not been found to do the same thing.

Firstly, SA stated in their report that the numbers were estimates. Secondly, the supposedly "accurate" figures are just as incorrect as the numbers that SA put up- because they are also based on estimates and assumptions. Not one of the Apple fan blogs (you know, the only ones to complain) could cite any data source to rebut the figures presented by SA.

On Asymco- it has already been established that they are pro-Apple. Their manifesto states that:

Covers the mobile industry with a heavy slant towards Apple's business strategy and predictions of their financials.

So... again, cut the hypocrisy out, ok?

MKFrost

Expert Member
All I did was point out that SA has been publicly humiliated for releasing incorrect numbers in the last week.
Asymco, which is the only source I have referenced, has not been found to do the same thing.

They were not publicly humiliated. Right from the start they made it clear that the figures were estimates. Others then quoted those figures as fact. The only figures that were disputed were those in regards to profitability which as said, they made clear were estimates as Apple and Samsung do not release details on this.

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master
I can last a whole work day on one charge. It can play video for almost 6 hours on one charge. I think that is very impressive, and I will happily sacrifice a few hours compared to an iPad considering I can run Visual Studio...

My point exactly, my ASUS does 10 hours of non stop video(My iPad does 11 hours), 16 with keyboard. Last me over a weekend on a single charge so I do not have to carry a charger with me all the time, and both sometimes go weeks without charging depending on use. If I wanted to use Visual Studio I would pull out my laptop that is way better suited for the task.

PS: I am not the only one that thinks like this looking at the sales numbers.

roguemat

Expert Member
My point exactly, my ASUS does 10 hours of non stop video(My iPad does 11 hours), 16 with keyboard. Last me over a weekend on a single charge so I do not have to carry a charger with me all the time, and both sometimes go weeks without charging depending on use. If I wanted to use Visual Studio I would pull out my laptop that is way better suited for the task.

PS: I am not the only one that thinks like this looking at the sales numbers.

I'm confused. You were saying that Windows laptops have bad battery, I was disagreeing. Maybe I'm just tired :(

Polymathic

Honorary Master

Windows Pro tablets fail at this as they are power hungry and can barely hit the 6 hour mark, and their answer to always on seems to be fast boot. As for Windows RT tablets, it still lacks in applications and will only become viable once they hit critical numbers.

Microsoft made a big mistake not clearly separating the 2 in my eyes, making customers think they both one and the same when they clearly are not. They should remove the pretend "desktop" out of RT and left Modern UI to RT only, with an ability to run Modern UI applications on a normal desktop like with ModernMix

I think the new gen atom processor kind of makes RT redundant,

grim

Expert Member

My Dell XPS 10 that runs RT goes about a week between charges, my old Asus TF101 barely made two days with the same usage on both.

RT is fantastic for a tablet that's not being used as a laptop replacement. I've have everything I need on there, Office 2013 with Outlook now, Remote desktop, VPN. If I want to run a x86 app I just connect via Splashtop to my Desktop at home.

roguemat

Expert Member
RT is fantastic for a tablet that's not being used as a laptop replacement. I've have everything I need on there, Office 2013 with Outlook now, Remote desktop, VPN. If I want to run a x86 app I just connect via Splashtop to my Desktop at home.

I agree, I love my RT. Windows 8.1 was a great update for it performance-wise too.

MightyQuin

Not amused...
And FNB? Don't they go through their own channel to procure Apple products?

FNB initially bought from Core. But when Core couldn't keep up with stock demands, FNB went directly to Apple. Bet you FNB got better pricing then as well and probably also got a few containers on consignment.

F

Fudzy

FNB initially bought from Core. But when Core couldn't keep up with stock demands, FNB went directly to Apple. Bet you FNB got better pricing then as well and probably also got a few containers on consignment.

Thought so, would've assumed a research firm would have known this.

icyrus

Executive Member
According to the latest research from Strategy Analytics, global tablet shipments reached 51.7 million units in the second quarter of 2013. Android secured a robust 67 percent global share, while Apple iOS declined further to 28 percent. Windows also fell back but secured a 4.5 percent global share.

Shipments are not sales. Apple reports actual sales, not shipments.

MKFrost

Expert Member

Not sure I follow. The information I posted was to show the trend that is taking place and said that I was expecting this trend to manifest itself in SA as well.

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master

Its not entirely black and white as you try and make it out either.

Apple counts a sale a a sale regardless if its to end users, agents or other retailers purely because they do no accept return stock. So if it ends up in an end users hands or stand on the shelve for 15 years, for them it was a sale. Other OEMs only reason why they can not claim shipments as sales is because of the agreements to accept return stock from various vendors.

The main reason I guess is because most OEM's can break down the goods and use parts in other/new products, Apple does not make their own products so its less likely to be able to do so.

Yes at the end of the day Apple's "sales" numbers are closer to actual numbers as retailers do not wanna end up with dead stock esp with the fact that Apple contract binds em from selling bellow cost as well, but you do end up with "dead" stock, either that or lost in sales as no procurement application can get it 100% right all the time. Also not all other OEM's take all the stock back from all retailers, it depends on the contracts in place, but merely the fact that some do means that they have to use shipped and not sale when quoting numbers.

Last edited: