iPad 2 at IC for R4399, should I buy it?

fxit_man

Executive Member
If the irritation level is high, I will have to skip this. Probably find the iPad introduced to the wall.

Thanks for the heads up :)

Thats just from my experience. But I am telling you now do not rely on USB drive conectivity...

As much as I hate to tell you to look at something else other than the iPad, I think it would be best to look at alternative products that will suit your needs better. As awesome as the iPad is! Just do your research, don't jump into anything too soon.

yaeger

Thats just from my experience. But I am telling you now do not rely on USB drive conectivity...

As much as I hate to tell you to look at something else other than the iPad, I think it would be best to look at alternative products that will suit your needs better. As awesome as the iPad is! Just do your research, don't jump into anything too soon.

You are right, looks like I have to fiddle to make things work for me. Like installing a linux variant(awesome but can be very frustrating) I'll wait for a bit

Freaksta

Expert Member
You could get sea gates 500gb goflex satellite hdd it's a wifi drive and has its own iPad app, u can stream etc!

clasqm

cannot see myself typing out long documents on a tablet, this will be done on my desktop.
You might be surprised. Like you, I lecture at a university. I had to attend a boring college board meeting the other day with nothing on the agenda directly relevant to my department. Sat at the back with my iPad and typed the first three pages of my next article ...

RandomGRK

Expert Member
I would strongly suggest you get the 3g version. I also had a tablet and bought the non 3G version. Big mistake. Having always on 3G is so damn important. Don't kid yourself, you will regret it. I was sitting next to a colleague and he was receiving emails and having a good old time. My phone battery was too low to use it as a hotspot because I had been using it earlier. Having 3G might not seem like a huge issue but the problem is the tablet doesn't seampessly integrate with your life without it.

yaeger

You might be surprised. Like you, I lecture at a university. I had to attend a boring college board meeting the other day with nothing on the agenda directly relevant to my department. Sat at the back with my iPad and typed the first three pages of my next article ...
All we do is attend meetings and workshops...waste of a couple hours. Hopefully will be able to use it to be more productive in those meetings.

yaeger

I would strongly suggest you get the 3g version. I also had a tablet and bought the non 3G version. Big mistake. Having always on 3G is so damn important. Don't kid yourself, you will regret it. I was sitting next to a colleague and he was receiving emails and having a good old time. My phone battery was too low to use it as a hotspot because I had been using it earlier. Having 3G might not seem like a huge issue but the problem is the tablet doesn't seampessly integrate with your life without it.

I never thought about that, will look at the price difference. It might actually mean saving up a bit longer, I'm not keen to spend more than about R5k right now. But after a month, I can add more. Lectures are pretty much over, this will only really be used at the beginning of next year. I saw the special and thought I should buy it now.

diabolus

Executive Member
The best way to do the "external harddrive" thing is to get apps that connect to a PC on the network. For example i use AirVideo to stream my movies from my Laptop/PC onto my iPad. I use GalaxyAudio & ITunes to stream my music to the ipad...and you get various windows like "file browser" apps to manage any other files over the network.

In other words i have my stuff on an external harddrive, i just plug it into a PC that is on the network [reachable via Wifi].

.....BUT an iPOD should actually work quite well as external harddrive compatible with the ipad.

I would also recommend paying R1000 more (R5500) and get the 3G version. The R4400 is not a special, that is the standard price for the 16GB Wifi version, so you don't need to rush.

Last edited:

yaeger

The best way to do the "external harddrive" thing is to get apps that connect to a PC on the network. For example i use AirVideo to stream my movies from my Laptop/PC onto my iPad. I use GalaxyAudio & ITunes to stream my music to the ipad...and you get various windows like "file browser" apps to manage any other files over the network.

In other words i have my stuff on an external harddrive, i just plug it into a PC that is on the network [reachable via Wifi].

.....BUT i assume everyone is aware an iPOD is actually an external harddrive compatible with the ipad........if you really need more space and don't want to get a PC, get an ipod .

I would also recommend paying R1000 more (R5500) and get the 3G version. The R4400 is not a special, that is the standard price for the 16GB Wifi version, so you don't need to rush.
I use Tversity to stream my media via wireless at home. I was more thinking about when I wasn't at home, I'd need some sort of external HD. Will look at the iPod :) Thanks for the info.

diabolus

Executive Member
I use Tversity to stream my media via wireless at home. I was more thinking about when I wasn't at home, I'd need some sort of external HD. Will look at the iPod :) Thanks for the info.

Yes, tversity also works on the ipad, and i've used it initially, but airvideo just have a better app. As for the ipod thing, i suggest you just investigate the options, sometimes you need a PC aka "itunes" as a intermediate anyway.

Either way if you can get a device that share your videos via wifi (network enabled hard drive etc) then it would be the much easier solution.

Last edited:

yaeger

Thought I'd revive this thread and tell you guys the recent developments. I'm taking FNB's tablet offering, so its a choice between the iPad 2 16gig wifi+3G and HTC Flyer. I'll be taking the iPad 2, pretty easy to justify R200 /month x24 on a device with no interest+discount :)
Thanks for the advice :)

yaeger

16g with 3G is better than 64g without 3G.

No reason to have huge storage space.
I was sorta thinking along those lines too and I figure I'd need 5gig max for work related docs, 10ish gig for movies, music etc. It will replace my laptop(which i use less and less for the intended purposes) I'm hoping to have it by the end of next week.