iPad 2 disadvantages

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Lol...Was actually supposed to say Apple devices.

But, honestly..... Its a bit dissapointing. I usually do a lot of browsing through my ipod touch. Its kind of annoying to go to my pc if i really want to watch a music video or something.
Why would you say apple devices? Flash is only restricted from iOS.

YouTube is responsible for converting the video to html5. If they've done their job then it should be available.

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
Not really. Most artists have their own youtube chanels...they are called Vevo channels.

Perhaps something will be incorporated. But I guess if it's a limiting factor you will have to downgrade to a different OS.

Could you give an example of song you cannot find?

game@holic

Why would you say apple devices? Flash is only restricted from iOS.

YouTube is responsible for converting the video to html5. If they've done their job then it should be available.

The reason I say Apple devices, is firstly because iOS 5 is only found on apple devices.

I heard many people say that there is a youtube app, but what i am trying to say is that "It is not a complete workaround". It works to an extent but does not play all the videos on youtube.

I used the same youtube app on one of the store displays on the different tablets and phones when I was looking around to buy a tablet.

If you go to places like incredible connection or a cell phone store, you can use the tablets and phones there.

The youtube apps on other devices play videos on channels like music videos on an artists VEVO channel.

The other devices with the youtube app eg. the galaxy tab can play those videos.

timmie23

Not really. Most artists have their own youtube chanels...they are called Vevo channels.

Is Vevo not a site on it's own? I'm sure it has nothing to do with YouTube and is rather something that is done by a few record companies. Sure I read something like that once.

Regarding you formats. You cannot blame your iPod if the site is only converting the video to .flv once it has been uploaded to the site. I think it is very poor for a site to only have .flv, as it is really poor quality in the first place, and millions of iDevices that don't support it. If you want to check if a video has a supported format. Just copy the video's URL into keepvid.com
It'll show you all the different formats that are available for the video. If you see .mp4 there, then it should work on your device. If not, then YouTube is doing something wrong, as I have yet to see any videos that do not work on my iPhone 4 via either the YouTube app or via m.youtube.com

game@holic

Cool....I never even knew that existed. At least it is a workaround to that issue. WIll download it to my ipod and test it out tonight.

I generally relied on my youtube app. Thats one headache gone for me :)

timmie23

Cool....I never even knew that existed. At least it is a workaround to that issue. WIll download it to my ipod and test it out tonight.

I generally relied on my youtube app. Thats one headache gone for me :)

It's one thing you have to realize with iOS. Companies like making native apps, so that they don't have to work on the website itself. Think it is just a lot easier for them in the long run to do it that was as well, as this is just a perfect example of how they could give you a better experience on your iOS device compared to a website.

game@holic

Yeah. I think i need to browse the app store to find all of these. If only the SA app store had games like infinity blade :(

Will be waiting for the iPad 3 though. Hope it comes soon.

It's one thing you have to realize with iOS. Companies like making native apps, so that they don't have to work on the website itself. Think it is just a lot easier for them in the long run to do it that was as well, as this is just a perfect example of how they could give you a better experience on your iOS device compared to a website.

timmie23

Yeah. I think i need to browse the app store to find all of these. If only the SA app store had games like infinity blade :(

Will be waiting for the iPad 3 though. Hope it comes soon.

Just do like I did this morning. Create an account on the Kenya App Store. All the games you can dream of there.
Picked up Order & Chaos Online for $0,99. With my FNB Card. Woot Woot

Just get a street name from google maps of a street in Nairobi, Postal Code 00200. Then use your normal SA Credit Card.
Good times to be had ;-)

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Just do like I did this morning. Create an account on the Kenya App Store. All the games you can dream of there.
Picked up Order & Chaos Online for $0,99. With my FNB Card. Woot Woot

Just get a street name from google maps of a street in Nairobi, Postal Code 00200. Then use your normal SA Credit Card.
Good times to be had ;-)
No need to go through the effort - just enter your SA address in the Kenyan iTS, or create a SA account first, see what's available then switch countries later.

chris2.0

It doesn't have a true multi-tasking OS on it? Hugs Palm TouchPad w/ WebOS...

OK, it's got the whole 600k apps thing going for it, but I'll only be getting an iPad3 if it's a real upgrade to the iPad2...

And the fact that HP killed Palm... Maybe Apple should buy Palm and get the best of WebOS transplanted into iOS?

If you follow HP's firesale math, then if a $499 tablet can be sold for $99, then a $1.2B company can be sold for $238M!!!

[)roi(]

Executive Member
U
I don't really think Apple has a foot up on android there, because the fragmentation thing really is blown out of proportion. I have used every android from 2.1 upwards, with the exception of ICS and all my things run without it knowing about which version is being used. I am sure there are some apps that will suffer though.

Also getting my iPad soon, really excited to see you it compares to android. I don't think I will be able to stick to just one OS in either case. I like gadgets way to much.
Many apps will run because any developer in their right mind will choose the lower SDK; basically that means all the new SDK APIs are ignored (sic). Look at this summary of the upgrade path of Android vs IOS and you see the problem -- clearly not a good idea to buy anything but the google branded devices:
http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982112928/android-orphans-visualizing-a-sad-history-of-support

I have both, hence the reason why I'm pissed that in November my tab 10.1 will not be getting ics, and based on the above graph it's highly unlikely that it'll get the update soon if at all :(

CAPS LOCK

Executive Member
[)roi(];7108766 said:
...... and you see the problem -- clearly not a good idea to buy anything but the google branded devices...

Judging by the context of your reply, were you meant to write "...Apple branded devices..."?

phoneJunky

Executive Member
[)roi(];7108766 said:
U
Many apps will run because any developer in their right mind will choose the lower SDK; basically that means all the new SDK APIs are ignored (sic). Look at this summary of the upgrade path of Android vs IOS and you see the problem -- clearly not a good idea to buy anything but the google branded devices:
http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982112928/android-orphans-visualizing-a-sad-history-of-support

I have both, hence the reason why I'm pissed that in November my tab 10.1 will not be getting ics, and based on the above graph it's highly unlikely that it'll get the update soon if at all :(

Yes it is very nice that iOS support is longer and the fact that when iOS is updated it is immediately available unlike the android phones. That is why I got my iPad, just need to set everything up. If you want I can do a comparison between the TAB and the iPad 2 and you can too as I see you also have both and didn't start a thread on it. You probably have already, but I am not going to go look through all your posts.

I didn't know the TAB won't be getting ICS, but I am sure that there will be some way around it. But yes, most people won't be willing to go that route.

Last edited:

[)roi(]

Executive Member
Yes it is very nice that iOS support is longer and the fact that when iOS is updated it is immediately available unlike the android phones. That is why I got my iPad, just need to set everything up. If you want I can do a comparison between the TAB and the iPad 2 and you can too as I see you also have both and didn't start a thread on it. You probably have already, but I am not going to go look through all your posts.

I didn't know the TAB won't be getting ICS, but I am sure that there will be some way around it. But yes, most people won't be willing to go that route.
Can't say if the tab will or won't be getting ics; the only definite device atm to get ics is nexus. That's my argument, there neesd to better co-ordination around software launches ie make sure that all devices with adequate hardware get ics at the same time. Imagine if Microsoft or Linux released their new desktop os to only a single model of Samsung laptop -- yes it doesn't make any sense!

Status
Not open for further replies.