iPad 2 on pre-order in South Africa: we compare prices

Would you import an iPad 2 at a high price or wait for the official SA launch?

• Import

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • Wait

Votes: 46 69.7%

• Total voters

purejimcn

have2have prices look decent, but i assuming it excludes all costs such as shipping? and also there is no specific delivery time, otherwise id be keen to get my hands on one

Lobesy

Oh look another news article with USA prices failing to mention that they use pre-tax pricing.

ChilliGirl

PopCornPeddler
I have family coming here from the UK soonish. Will probably be cheaper if I REALLY want one to get them to bring it for me.

fwwwn

So if you are an Apple aficionado, fanboy, oil sheik, or a member of Parliament, feel free to specify base price + 60% and you will be playing with your new iPad faster than you can say "two hundred dollars to the barrel" or "handsome tender privileges and kickbacks", The base pricing is set as follows:

16GB Wifi = R4,699
32GB Wifi = R5,699
64GB Wifi = R6,699
16GB Wifi + 3G = R5,999
32GB Wifi + 3G = R6,999
64GB Wifi + 3G = R7,999
That's from the Have2Have site. What the hell does the "+ 60%" part mean? Way to confuse people by hiding hidden costs? My dad is trying to figure out where to buy an iPad 2.

BLIXEMPIE

Honorary Master
Those prices are INSANE!!! :sick:

You can get a Core i7 laptop at the same price as Wantitall's 64GB 3G version.

Spooner

I would rather wait for the official SA launch...paying all that and the thing breaks the next day (I've got a terrible tendancy to break tech items:() and there's no after-sale support

RustyPrincess

Expert Member
That's from the Have2Have site. What the hell does the "+ 60%" part mean? Way to confuse people by hiding hidden costs? My dad is trying to figure out where to buy an iPad 2.
It means you can pay an extra 60% (or any other percentage you choose) of the price to get yours sooner. So if you choose the base model at 4699, and are specify that you are willing to pay 60% more to get it sooner, you will pay 7519. alternatively you can just chose to pay the lowest price and wait it out. Thats how I understood it.

Spooner

Too confusing...what ever happened to just putting the price on the site and thats that

simbao53

I love my devices hot off the manufactures' shelf, but some of these prices are crazy! Not for me thanks, I will wait for official SA Launch, Thank you!!!

RaptorSA

Expert Member
R6K for a ****ing tablet. You have to be seriously loaded to justify buying one of these devices, this goes for the Samsung, Motorola etc. tablets as well. Seriously people, how does it feel to get ****ed so deep in the ass?
I mean, for R6K I can get a i5 Notebook with 4GB memory from a shop, not even online or something. Yes I know, tablets are "different"... I prefer the words "crippled" or "bloated cellphone".

I'm definitely missing something here since tablets are obviously the new thing to have. I played around with a friends iPad and couldn't help wondering the whole time what I'd actually use it for... apart from it just being a cool toy where I can surf webpages in bed, constantly hoping I don't have to type on the damn thing since it's so awkard.

Last edited:

CrazYmonkeY159

Expert Member
R6K for a ****ing tablet. You have to be seriously loaded to justify buying one of these devices, this goes for the Samsung, Motorola etc. tablets as well. Seriously people, how does it feel to get ****ed so deep in the ass?
I mean, for R6K I can get a i5 Notebook with 4GB memory from a shop, not even online or something. Yes I know, tablets are "different"... I prefer the words "crippled" or "bloated cellphone".

I'm definitely missing something here since tablets are obviously the new thing to have. I played around with a friends iPad and couldn't help wondering the whole time what I'd actually use it for... apart from it just being a cool toy.
Its the midpoint between a netbook and a phone

I think the problem here Raptor that it is a reasonably priced piece of tech for a person living in the USA, its ($500)R3500 for crying out loud that is really cheap.

were paying near double that once it lands on SA's shores and its value for money on us SA folk isnt that great. as a programmer, i find programming for these devices really fun. its great for reading email and watching a movie here n there while youre in bed or reading a book while youre in bed, but if you going to buy an iPad for reading then im afraid its not your best choice. the glossy gorrila glass and sunlight dont go well together.

Opt for an E-Ink or Pixel Qi display device for e-readers. my 2c

gregmcc

Honorary Master
What a ripoff! I've got a iPad v1 (won it) and its a nice toy but there's no way in hell I'd spend a cent buying it. Would rather get a netbook or something where I can run the software of my choice on. You can't even run FF on the iPad!