iPad 3 name change South Africa

bwana

MyBroadband
I'm confused. Apple doesn't have a product called the "iPad 3" so why would they change it's name?

BeVonk!

Executive Member
This article is about dropping the 4G (LTE) spec. Not a name change!

fxit_man

Executive Member
Get over the "iPad 3" name seriously. The iPod's are mostly always referred to by their generation - iPod Touch 4G / iPT4G etc. but now with 3G and 4G networks in the mix that naming convention would get even more confusing.

Hence the name most of us refer to it as - iPad 3.

Species8472

“This is in line with what is happening internationally in regions that do not have access to 4G connectivity yet,” said a spokesperson for Core.
Yet. Are they implying that 4G exists yet, but sadly Apple had to drop the term from their name because the whole planet is behind Apple's 4G schedule? :wtf:

Jan

Drifting in the black
Yet MyBB still refers to iPad 3 ?
Unashamedly. Next year when people are searching for iPad stories ours will be among those with distinguishable headlines.

This article is about dropping the 4G (LTE) spec. Not a name change!
Specs remained the same. It's just the marketing that's changing.

Yet. Are they implying that 4G exists yet, but sadly Apple had to drop the term from their name because the whole planet is behind Apple's 4G schedule? :wtf:
Read the article, and check out this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

The world is not behind. It's Apple that decided to support a small subset of LTE networks and then bill the device as "4G".

Kosmik

Honorary Master
The world is not behind. It's Apple that decided to support a small subset of LTE networks and then bill the device as "4G".
This. The should have made the device handle multiple 4G networks if they wanted to sell it as such or restrict models based on country of use simialr to the diference between American handests and our local ones.

But no, Apple got greedy and wanted to be the first to market with a "4G" phone.

Species8472

Read the article, and check out this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

I did not say anything about LTE, that exists.

Maybe you should check out the definition of 4G here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G#Technical_definition

n March 2008, the International Telecommunications Union-Radio communications sector (ITU-R) specified a set of requirements for 4G standards, named the International Mobile Telecommunications Advanced (IMT-Advanced) specification, setting peak speed requirements for 4G service at 100 megabits per second (Mbit/s) for high mobility communication (such as from trains and cars) and 1 gigabit per second (Gbit/s) for low mobility communication (such as pedestrians and stationary users).[1]
Gigabit download speed. Is LTE anywhere near that?

If LTE = 4G then my car runs on cold fusion because definitions don't matter, right?

Jan

Drifting in the black
If LTE = 4G then my car runs on cold fusion because definitions don't matter, right?
I think I misunderstood your comment. I'm fully aware what the definition of 4G is. If you read the article, you'd know that ;-)

Anyway, I think we're on the same page.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Unashamedly. Next year when people are searching for iPad stories ours will be among those with distinguishable headlines.
+1.

My daughters iPod Nano died and before I could do any research on what was wrong and how to fix it, I first had to establish what frikkin generation it was. Like I'm up on Apples nano releases???

So of course I know it's the 'new iPad' ffs, but iPad 3 keeps things in order and understandable at a glance. Thanks to myBB for staying sensible and not having such a hard on over Apples marketing dept.

zamicro

Expert Member
“This is in line with what is happening internationally in regions that do not have access to 4G connectivity yet,” said a spokesperson for Core.
To the Core group: Can you please tell me which country (or region) actually has 4G?

Such a stupid comment.