iPad 3 personal hotspot not working in South Africa

F

Fudzy

I'd be embarrassed with myself if I was Mark Fairon... either that or he's spewing BS on behalf of his overlords.

bwana

MyBroadband
The operators need to adopt the same principle my missus uses - nag the crap out of Apple until they get it.

latro

Unless it's not the same thing I have in my Galaxy, I don't understand why this feature is operator dependant?

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Note the disclaimer:
Yep because where I live makes electro-magnetic waves behave differently than elsewhere. It's a restriction created by the supplier ( in this case Apple ) whether enabled by them or allowing a provider to disable.

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
Unless it's not the same thing I have in my Galaxy, I don't understand why this feature is operator dependant?
This feature is operator dependent because Apple made it operator dependent.

RichardG

Honorary Master
It's simple if operators such as AT&T, Sprint in the USA and in other countries CAN their uncapped data plans then the tethering option will work for us (Automatically out of the box) but unfortunately not cause Apple doesn't want to share their knowledge to help our mobile operators to generate more revenue on data on how to enable the setting if CELL C got it right what is the problem.. Simple they don't communicate with their counterparts such as Vodacom contact someone at Vodafone to see how they got the option to work.

Something has to be pushed to the simcard I am sure to enable the option.

WE SHOULD ALL BLAME CORE! IF CORE SELL iPads on contract - then why can't this option be enabled by default or make a region specific version*OS*

Last edited:

RichardG

Honorary Master
Did write them a love letter but it went to blind eyes at a certain department.
Explaining everything to them in detail - maybe they don't want to enable the feature cause then they will have to pay someone royalty fees...

Still puzzled how CELL C can get the option to be enabled.

Read this http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1970

Note: If you insert a new SIM or micro-SIM card into your iPhone or iPad, you'll need to download the carrier settings for the new carrier wirelessly. Carrier settings are available only for iPhone support carriers and iPad partner carriers. If you're not using a partner carrier, you will need to set up the carrier's settings manually. Refer to your carrier for appropriate settings.

Every time I put a new micro-sim card automatically it asks me to download carrier settings...
The statement above in bold tells me that they are a partner - why can they not enable it and already they selling the iPhone(resellers) I am sure Apple won't have a problem to give them the method on how to active the setting.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2756 - Troubleshooting personal Hotspot

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4517
Personal Hotspot requires a supporting hotspot tethering plan from your carrier. The maximum number of supported connections is five, but this number may vary depending on your carrier or iPhone model.

Last edited:

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
This article doesn't really help to clear up anything. It's clear from the responses from the operators most don't know what the procedure is.
1) Apple publishes carrier bundles for each network operator that set things like APN, MMS gateway etc. It also sets which features are enabled (like MMS and HotSpot).
2) The operator needs to tell Apple what it wants and then Apple will push out the carrier updates.
What I want to know is where the delay is: Operators asking for carrier updates or Apple pushing them out?

What is also a contentions point is that Apple is selling a device with no contract, but by default disable a feature based on the carrier you eventually choose. Apple should be enabling HotSpot by default and carriers should be requesting to disable it (if required).

Last edited:

OGroteKoning

Honorary Master
+1
Isn't it a hardware feature? And isn't the only contribution from a network operator a sim card which is data capable?

This feature is operator dependent because Apple made it operator dependent.
Can you please explain a bit more ginggs?

EDIT: Just read morkhans' post

ebendl

Expert Member
Morkhans explains it correctly, I think. The thing is, I really think this is Vodacom's and MTN's job to fight it out with Apple. I'm sick of companies playing the blame-game.