iPad 3 - what's in a name?

What should Apple's third generation iPad be called?

• "The new iPad"

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • iPad 3

Votes: 30 41.1%
  • iPad HD

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • 4G iPad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • iFred

Votes: 20 27.4%
  • iPad third generation

Votes: 14 19.2%

• Total voters

Ninja'd

A Djinn
Imagine if they called it the iPad HD? What would next year's one be called? iPad HD 2 or iPad 4 HD?

In the unlikely event that Apple decides to call their next device the iPad 3, we can simply refer to this year’s device as the “previous iPad 3,” rather than “the device formerly known as the new iPad.”

Just because of that I want one with a purple cover. :D

Lino

I am back
So you guys are just going to name products whatever you want? Instead of actually what the manufacture calls it?

eltherza

Expert Member
So you guys are just going to name products whatever you want? Instead of actually what the manufacture calls it?

I do it all the time. Someone asks me what graphics card I have in my PC, I say "Geforce 560ti", not the "MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II"

Lino

I am back
I do it all the time. Someone asks me what graphics card I have in my PC, I say "Geforce 560ti", not the "MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II"

You not a technological website are you?

Roadrunner

Expert Member
I don't get it.

Why so hesitant to give it the next version number?

The same goes for the mobile networks.

It's not like we are ever going to run out of numbers.

What's wrong with the iPhone 1000000? Oh, wait I see. :D

eltherza

Expert Member
You not a technological website are you?

No, of course not. But take a closer look around at websites and you'll see it everywhere - even in newspapers. For some reason, the rest of the world seems to figure out just fine?

Lino

I am back
No, of course not. But take a closer look around at websites and you'll see it everywhere - even in newspapers. For some reason, the rest of the world seems to figure out just fine?

I was just commenting on how people go off at the media for not having all the correct facts; even members on this site. Now the product isn't being called by its correct name here. "What is good for the goose is good for the gander"

Honestly I don't care I will just have to take each and every article with a pinch of salt from now on. Not to mention double check the name of each product that gets reviewed/talked about.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
In closed circles call it whatever you like but officially the name is iPad (unofficially Fred). You don't get to rename it iPad 3 because it confuses you.

Dolby

Honorary Master
I just call it iPad 3 - we all know what it is

I get pissed off when people correct me too :/

killadoob

Honorary Master
Ipad 3 works well because it's the third ipad :p, if anyone gets confused with the name ipad 3 they need help ASAP :p

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Ipad 3 works well because it's the third ipad :p, if anyone gets confused with the name ipad 3 they need help ASAP :p

I don't think anyone is confused by it - it's just factually inaccurate. The product is called the "iPad" nothing more, nothing less.

killadoob

Honorary Master
I don't think anyone is confused by it - it's just factually inaccurate. The product is called the "iPad" nothing more, nothing less.

Yea but boy it will get confusing when you put an ad to sell it for the ipad 4 or whatever it will be called.

Ipad for sale.

So which ipad is it?

The 3rd one

Ahhhh yea cool i'll take it

boswald

So as a South African "technical" site we get to rename products as we see fit. wow, that is astonishing.

What is the next thing we going to rename?

Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave right now... sigh.

Our luck we will get the iPad 3 but it will be some Chinese knock off but it will be called the iPad 3 so that will be fine :p not the new iPad :p