iPad 4 and iPad Mini LTE support in South Africa

Beri

Expert Member
If vodacom must wait for permission to activate LTE...... I can tell you know it is going to be a very long wait. They cannot even activate the wifi hotspot.

ebendl

Expert Member
Why the hell must Apple give permission to the networks to switch on LTE? What is the business sense in this? I can't think of something that could hurt Apple more than
a) some guy buys an iPad
b) buys a Vodacom SIM expecting to use the spiffy new LTE network (let's assume coverage was 80% at this point)
c) switches to 3G, for now apparent reason other than Apple not defaulting to the best available technology.

Or must the networks pass Apple's quality tests (that would be an about turn on previous years!)?

Biscuit1018

Expert Member
Why the hell must Apple give permission to the networks to switch on LTE? What is the business sense in this? I can't think of something that could hurt Apple more than
a) some guy buys an iPad
b) buys a Vodacom SIM expecting to use the spiffy new LTE network (let's assume coverage was 80% at this point)
c) switches to 3G, for now apparent reason other than Apple not defaulting to the best available technology.

Or must the networks pass Apple's quality tests (that would be an about turn on previous years!)?

I think you are making a bigger thing of this than it really is.

Apple distribute the carrier settings on behalf of the carrier so it has to go through Apple's servers.
However software updates go out globally on the same day.

With Android you have whole Software Updates being impacted by the network before they go out to users of that network.
I would imagine the carrier settings are handled by the network entirely.

The 'agreement' between Apple and the Carriers may pertain to many things but Apple would insist that the carrier settings don't harm the user experience
Of course there may be commercial licencing issues as well.

Either way it wont be a big deal. The carriers will sort those issues out fast enough.

The big issue is when we get LTE?
My city, Cape Town isnt even on the roll out list yet.
Probably for some time to come by iPad 3 will work as well as a mates iPad 4 on LTE (cant connect to something that doesnt exist

LTE in SA is a story about ICASA

BeVonk!

Executive Member
It's not speed (like in LTE) we want/need, it is cheap data we want/need. On a tablet I will be more than happy with HSPA speeds if I can get it cheaper and more reliably. The emphasis is not right. We want to be able to afford to fully use cloud computing (where everything is going). That is the only way to finally cut iTunes out of the iPad picture for us in SA. Give us cheap data at reasonable speeds first please ... and then worry about LTE.

Schalk79

iPad Mini a1454 & a1455

Hi,
I got an iPad Mini model A1454 as a gift.
As far as I can see the ones sold here are model a1455. The only real difference being the LTE bands supported by the device.

I am on the Vodacom network.
Will the 3G & Edge functionality work or not?

I seriously hope so!?!

frailwings

Finally bought an iPad after years of Android use. Really shocked at how backward the Apple devices are. Having to use iTunes to transfer a video, having Apple reach agreements and activate LTE?? seriously.

nuyork

Expert Member

nuyork

Expert Member
Maybe iOS 7 will support LTE for South African iPad Mini's & iPad 4's? One can only hope.

nuyork

Expert Member
Not that I am aware of? I have an iPad 4 which supports LTE 1800 and I do not have LTE on my iPad.

But I've been told by a friend, that the operators might have LTE enabled for the iPads soon.

Last edited:

nuyork

Expert Member
Finally with the release of iOS 7, LTE is available on the iPad 4.

Also Personal Hotspot is also available on the iPad's now.

werny

Expert Member
Finally with the release of iOS 7, LTE is available on the iPad 4.

Also Personal Hotspot is also available on the iPad's now.
Same with the Ipad Mini, I now have the "Enable 4G" option and also the "Personal Hotspot" option.

YAY!!!!! :D