iPad release in SA? Price in Dubai?

AnrietteC

Hi there

I'm wondering when the iPad will be available in SA? Has anyone talked to the iStore (Core Group) yet regarding their import of the product?

And also, what's the price of an iPad in Dubai right now? My dad's going there tomorrow, so I need a price ASAP.

Thanks

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
Probably in september/october. Nobody really knows. I don't even know if it will be available in Dubai. If you really want one, get it from the USA.

surfs-up

Expert Member
There is such a shortage of the iPad around the world mainly due to the makers of the display not being able to keep up with the demand. If you are really keen on an iPad and they have in Dubai, then tell......actually no, beg your dad to get you one. Rather get the 3G model, it works on our networks, is not much more expensive, and gives you freedom from being stuck to a wireless hotspot. The iPad only really shines if you have an Internet connection, and being a mobile device you are going to want to take it with you.
Regarding dates in ZAF, I really can't see it coming here before the end of the year. I got mine in the USA, and every single Apple store there was out of stock of every single model. I had to resort to buying mine off eBay, paying a premium, and then meeting the guy in person in Indianapolis to do the transaction.

DuckieZA

There is such a shortage of the iPad around the world mainly due to the makers of the display not being able to keep up with the demand. If you are really keen on an iPad and they have in Dubai, then tell......actually no, beg your dad to get you one. Rather get the 3G model, it works on our networks, is not much more expensive, and gives you freedom from being stuck to a wireless hotspot. The iPad only really shines if you have an Internet connection, and being a mobile device you are going to want to take it with you.
Regarding dates in ZAF, I really can't see it coming here before the end of the year. I got mine in the USA, and every single Apple store there was out of stock of every single model. I had to resort to buying mine off eBay, paying a premium, and then meeting the guy in person in Indianapolis to do the transaction.

Same in the UK, I had to do reservations and only got my hands on one 6 days later, just before I left to come home.

Apple will make sure that their main markets (in which they operate directly) are satisfied first.

brogan

Had the honour of playing with the Ipad today. Needed to set it up for the Top Brass. He received it from Nashua on a contract with it came the micro sim, data cable and a charger. Its totally awesome just a bit weighty and quite a large display surely lighter than a laptop or netbook i suppose. Responded well to the touch commands and has the typical Iphone interface. All and all I was pretty impressed, nice toy for geeks and execs alike.

wolfsburg

hey dude my friend just came back from dubai and she bought a 16gb iPad ... she payed R5000 if you convert from there currency . If you dad is in the central area he should goto the mall of emirates .... thats where she got her iPad .... at some electronic store. Best of luck man the price is 2500 dirhams which is about R5000 in our currency

drew137

I got my 64GB 3G unit from Dubai, Jumbo Electronics had a few units but the dude said as soon as they come in they pretty much go out! If you can get one take it and run :D

mith

I got my 64GB 3G unit from Dubai, Jumbo Electronics had a few units but the dude said as soon as they come in they pretty much go out! If you can get one take it and run :D

how much did you pay?

QRator

Send me a private message if you would like an iPad.

Not sure about Core's import of iPads, however, I am reasonably sure it will happen within the next month or two.

Chavez

My wife and I just got back from Australia. The iPad 64Gb + Wifi is going for Aus $1049. Take off 10% tax (claimed back when leaving) it worked out to Aus $944.1.

$944.1 x (+-) R7 (exchange rate roughly R6.6 to Aus $1 plus add some for currency conversion fees on credit card) = a whopping R6 608.7

I was tempted to bring back 3 x 16Gb Wifi ipads too ($566.1 x R7 = R3962) and sell them in SA. I was worried about customs though which turned out to be non event as we breezed through with no-one around.