iPhone 12 - MagSafe Accessories - feedback

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
@Tander

MagSafe Cover and Card Holder arrived - magnetic connection is weaker than I expected* - it won't fall off if just liftting the phone but a vigorous 'up/down shake' will dislodge it and I can definitely see it sliding off if you're not careful when removing from your jean pant - I am glad I got the MagSafe cover 'cos it is definitely weaker when I place it with the non-MagSafe cover on.

Doesn't sit 100 percent flush (can see daylight between holder and case back on the lower third).

Would love to compare this to the original Apple Card Holder - must make a plan to pop into an Apple Store to check it out.

Nice thing is that that MagSafe 'ring' is quite big so could fit the old mount 'plate' inside the ring which means that I slip the Card Case to mount the phone when I get in the car.

Will post pics later

*Caveat - weaker with the 'MagSafe' Case on - on the naked phone it adheres in line with my expectation

BL Magsafe Card Wallet for iPhone 12 series available to buy online at @TAKEALOT We offer fast, reliable delivery to your door. https://www.takealot.com/bl-magsafe-card-wallet-for-iphone-12-series/PLID71379955

The original one was unimpressive as is, very nice way to accidentally loose your “wallet” if your not paying attention to how you take it out or put it into your pocket.

What made body glove worse?

Have you used one personally? I’ve been using one for around four months now and haven’t ever felt like it was going to fall off taking it out my pocket.

View attachment 1050147

Priapus

Executive Member
@Tander

MagSafe Cover and Card Holder arrived - magnetic connection is weaker than I expected - it won't fall off if just liftting the phone but a vigorous 'up/down shake' will dislodge it and I can definitely see it sliding off if you're not careful when removing from your jean pant - I am glad I got the MagSafe cover 'cos it is definitely weaker when I place it with the non-MagSafe cover on.

Doesn't sit 100 percent flush (can see daylight between holder and case back on the lower third).

Would love to compare this to the original Apple Card Holder - must make a plan to pop into an Apple Store to check it out.

Nice thing is that that MagSafe 'ring' is quite big so could fit the old mount 'plate' inside the ring which means that I slip the Card Case to mount the phone when I get in the car.

Will post pics later

Thank's for the update. I should hopefully receive mine on Thursday.

The whole slipping off while putting it in the pocket is an issue with the original too. I don't think there is a good solution to that.

Somre reviewed commented that it isn't designed to be on the phone 24/7 - and only whilst you're out. That's their opinion on it anyway. I think that's the right way to look at it.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Thank's for the update. I should hopefully receive mine on Thursday.

The whole slipping off while putting it in the pocket is an issue with the original too. I don't think there is a good solution to that.

Somre reviewed commented that it isn't designed to be on the phone 24/7 - and only whilst you're out. That's their opinion on it anyway. I think that's the right way to look at it.

That sounds about right - good way to think about it.

Edit: that said, mine will most likely be on 24/7

Last edited:

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
28749fa235fdb8bd6c13416a365ea0b3.jpg

Added the backing plate for existing car mount

ae444a9915c1e31b5a52d96bd5345618.jpg

Card holder on naked Phone

7ca76e5b3ea839211db7f1fc4b6d97b4.jpg

Card holder with MagSafe case

eae017e6d8d55034e4be8e71dd60ffe9.jpg

Not flush with back

092af94ff894ccd60ab99fcac6732393.jpg

d3af4bda548589acd2fd0a2a99eb6eeb.jpg

f2ade240fdd61b08c039ed0d0acaf5f1.jpg

Priapus

Executive Member
That gap though...

I do like the case, actually. Do you have more pictures with it fitted? I've been using my iPhone 12 (Same colour as yours) naked for the last couple of months. But a case would be nice, so that I don't have to worry about scratching the back all the time...

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
That gap though...

I do like the case, actually. Do you have more pictures with it fitted? I've been using my iPhone 12 (Same colour as yours) naked for the last couple of months. But a case would be nice, so that I don't have to worry about scratching the back all the time...

677365a9320c8269488cf45f54e22165.jpg

a58111bfcce8e4f88a8653ef2157a6b7.jpg

ff7958776d28a2a2c13257e4316a4246.jpg

f35c656b1522597498d0cb1a74beb956.jpg

a8928efc917bee8a0966debd442c9637.jpg

473d3185d42544a391a788fe6bfbb426.jpg

a67ac7cb38fb3e0953b3b2e81c5cec97.jpg

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Realised last night that I have to move the car mount plate - phone can't charge wirelessly with the plate placed in this location

1618385877473.png

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
Ordered this mount for myself. Charge and mount in 1

Question: the wallets, is the only way to remove the card, the hole at the back, cause that makes removing the front card a smidge tedious, not that they’ll be used often but maybe I’m missing an obvious something here…

AfricanTech

Honorary Master

Question: the wallets, is the only way to remove the card, the hole at the back, cause that makes removing the front card a smidge tedious, not that they’ll be used often but maybe I’m missing an obvious something here…

Yup - it's not a major hassle though.

I want to try the original - the magnet on this aftermarket one is a bit weaker than I'd like

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
Yup - it's not a major hassle though.

I want to try the original - the magnet on this aftermarket one is a bit weaker than I'd like

I took the BodyGlove one as a less japcrap generic so hopefully stronger than the cheap ones.

From what I have read though the originals are not really that much strong to begin with.

Waiting for my 13 to arrive, will swing by here again with my thoughts on the BG.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
I took the BodyGlove one as a less japcrap generic so hopefully stronger than the cheap ones.

From what I have read though the originals are not really that much strong to begin with.

Waiting for my 13 to arrive, will swing by here again with my thoughts on the BG.

I use this one on my 12 mini and it’s a good strong magnet even though one review says it’s fairly weak. I use it with an Apple silicon case with MagSafe so I don’t know if that makes a difference. But I love it and keep my driving license and a bit of cash in it.

KD Apple iPhone 12 Magsafe Vegan Leather Card Holder Wallet - Black available to buy online at @TAKEALOT We offer fast, reliable delivery to your door. https://www.takealot.com/kd-apple-i...-leather-card-holder-wallet-blac/PLID72179727

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
I use this one on my 12 mini and it’s a good strong magnet even though one review says it’s fairly weak. I use it with an Apple silicon case with MagSafe so I don’t know if that makes a difference. But I love it and keep my driving license and a bit of cash in it.

KD Apple iPhone 12 Magsafe Vegan Leather Card Holder Wallet - Black available to buy online at @TAKEALOT We offer fast, reliable delivery to your door. https://www.takealot.com/kd-apple-i...-leather-card-holder-wallet-blac/PLID72179727

Thanks, though if the bodyglove sucks I’m going original, I’ve had my eye in that Dark Cherry. The blue of the BG will match nicer, but there is something about that cherry.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Does anyone have a good suggestion for a decent Magsafe car mount from somewhere like Takealot? I've been so put off by these traditional rubbish 'clip-on to the air con grill and squeeze' things over the years that I've never even looked at Magsafe for the car. But I have a need now and see a good selection out there and need a recommendation or two before I waste my hard earned eBucks.

HunterNW

Honorary Master
I had to google it. Thought it's a safe to keep your spare 9mm mags.
No can do - Don't have Apple.

Spizz

Goat Botherer

I'd appreciate feedback when you get the car mount.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a decent Magsafe car mount from somewhere like Takealot? I've been so put off by these traditional rubbish 'clip-on to the air con grill and squeeze' things over the years that I've never even looked at Magsafe for the car. But I have a need now and see a good selection out there and need a recommendation or two before I waste my hard earned eBucks.

XmanDZA

I've also been looking at getting a good MagSafe car mount, no reviews on Takealot though so I'm quite hesitant to take a gamble..

Spizz

Goat Botherer
I took a punt on this magnetic car mount which is R399 from Incredible and I must say I'm pretty chuffed with it. It fits nicely on the vent, feels secure and the magnet is very strong onto the phone (I use an Apple silicon case with Magsafe). I even went over a few speed bumps at a bit of a pace to see if the phone would fall off but it held nicely.

Bonus for me was I used Discovery Miles and also got a 10% discount :p

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
I took a punt on this magnetic car mount which is R399 from Incredible and I must say I'm pretty chuffed with it. It fits nicely on the vent, feels secure and the magnet is very strong onto the phone (I use an Apple silicon case with Magsafe). I even went over a few speed bumps at a bit of a pace to see if the phone would fall off but it held nicely.

Bonus for me was I used Discovery Miles and also got a 10% discount :p

Looks very similar to the one being reviewed here…

Mine just arrived today but not driving anywhere till the AM.

Feels pretty damned solid though, takes some effort to pull it off.