iPhone 6 vs. Galaxy S5 vs. HTC One (M8) Speed Test

cerebus

Honorary Master
While I do agree with the sentiment, one also needs to consider that the OS as a whole allows for a better app experience in a number of cases, by nature of how well it's integrated with the hardware.

As I said in a previous thread- let's run this sort of test once Apple devices are using apps that utilise more extensibility features and are running in a more similar state to their Android brethren.

Also when Dalvik is replaced by ART and Android has full 64-bit support.

Maverick Jester

The Special One
Also when Dalvik is replaced by ART and Android has full 64-bit support.

:D yeah, even better.

I'm not saying that it's disingenuous to look at the performance now- because that's what customers are buying, and it's necessary. I'm just keen to see how it all plays out once the strength of both newly developed systems are utilised a bit more.

SeRpEnT

Executive Member
What astounds me is that this video is comparing phones that dont match up when resolution is compared.
The Iphone 6 only needs to push 326 PPI compared to the 432 for the S5 and 441 for the M8.
That's a full 35% less pixels to push than the M8.
So, ok, this test didnt compare too many graphics intensive apps, but there defnitely is some advantage in having to display less on the screen at every second of the test. And this all adds up.

Dubes

Expert Member
iPhone only have a gig of RAM. So In my opinion it only amplifies what Apple can do with less. Half the RAM, half the cores and almost half the clock speed of those cores. iOS is a superior operating system in terms of performance. Fact.

So let me get this straight, suddenly Apple fans are bragging about iPhones being under-specced?

Until recently it was ALL about processor speeds, pixels per inch etc etc. Oh yes, and the ridiculousness of a large screen device... The ever moving goal posts of an Apple fan.

vinodh

Expert Member
Steaming music but also transferring pics and other files also controlling electronics, file transfer can also be done by NFC but oh wait nevermind.

NFC doesn't transfer files. Wifi transfers, NFC authenticates. My Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 used NFC to authenticate and then Bluetooth to transfer which was pointless. Rather strangely, my iPhone works with a Bluetooth earpiece, a Blutooth keyboard and acts as a modem via Bluetooth. This obviously means that Bluetooth does not work properly since on Android you can use it to transfer pirate music at really slow speeds. Wow!

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
NFC doesn't transfer files. Wifi transfers, NFC authenticates. My Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 used NFC to authenticate and then Bluetooth to transfer which was pointless. Rather strangely, my iPhone works with a Bluetooth earpiece, a Blutooth keyboard and acts as a modem via Bluetooth. This obviously means that Bluetooth does not work properly since on Android you can use it to transfer pirate music at really slow speeds. Wow!
If transferring files from an iPhone to an Android phone how would you do it?

cerebus

Honorary Master
So let me get this straight, suddenly Apple fans are bragging about iPhones being under-specced?

Until recently it was ALL about processor speeds, pixels per inch etc etc. Oh yes, and the ridiculousness of a large screen device... The ever moving goal posts of an Apple fan.

Lol no no no no no. It's about the impressiveness of beating the pants off Samsung while having specs that on paper are much less formidable. It shows how much value we should be placing on spec sheets like the ones that were promulgated when the iPhone6 was announced.

What astounds me is that this video is comparing phones that dont match up when resolution is compared.
The Iphone 6 only needs to push 326 PPI compared to the 432 for the S5 and 441 for the M8.
That really doesn't affect opening of apps, but I guess they could try it with a 6+.

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
So, ok, this test didnt compare too many graphics intensive apps, but there defnitely is some advantage in having to display less on the screen at every second of the test. And this all adds up.

Don't forget about half the cores and RAM, now.

$m@Rt@$$

Expert Member
Steaming music but also transferring pics and other files also controlling electronics, file transfer can also be done by NFC but oh wait nevermind.

NFC is not used for transferring the actual data. It only initiates the wifi or bluetooth connection between devices.

$m@Rt@$$

Expert Member

No I'm referring to the fact that if they actually did build a processor with the same specs as the android counterparts on paper, it would probably be decades ahead in terms of performance. At the end of the day I don't give a sh*t about what speed my A7 is running at or how much RAM my phone has. All I do care about is the fact that it never gives me problems and that it never freezes or craps out. It does what I want it to do, when I want to do it.

adamr

Executive Member
Let's be honest we don't sit with a stop watch timing how fast Web pages open. And after a week or two of ownership you don't care about specs anymore and all the gimmicky features, and the phone must just work consistently well, i.e calls, battery lasting at least the day, Be able to whatsapp, connect to WiFi and browse

cerebus

Honorary Master
No I'm referring to the fact that if they actually did build a processor with the same specs as the android counterparts on paper, it would probably be decades ahead in terms of performance.
It's doubtful. They've only got a limited number of transistors and die space and thermal envelope to work with (I think 2billion in the A8, which is ridiculous). Adding cores isn't necessarily going to equal a faster processor until the workload becomes heavily threaded. And they could increase the clock speed but it would overheat quickly as we see in the throttling of most Android phones when they try to run a sustained workload.

Let's be honest we don't sit with a stop watch timing how fast Web pages open. And after a week or two of ownership you don't care about specs anymore and all the gimmicky features, and the phone must just work consistently well, i.e calls, battery lasting at least the day, Be able to whatsapp, connect to WiFi and browse
Really? I'm constantly bugged by any lagginess on my phone. I notice it all the time.

Maverick Jester

The Special One
No I'm referring to the fact that if they actually did build a processor with the same specs as the android counterparts on paper, it would probably be decades ahead in terms of performance. At the end of the day I don't give a sh*t about what speed my A7 is running at or how much RAM my phone has. All I do care about is the fact that it never gives me problems and that it never freezes or craps out. It does what I want it to do, when I want to do it.

You do realise that the A8 is an ARMv8 design, which is the same architecture as the Note 4, right?