iPhone 8 Plus “split open” while charging – Report

Jola

Honorary Master
Recall on the cards ?

At least no fires as yet.

Dolby

Honorary Master
As much as I'm not an Apple fan, I sometimes think the media look for reasons to drag them through the mud. It's one guy, not representative of the phone and not newsworthy at all.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
As much as I'm not an Apple fan, I sometimes think the media look for reasons to drag them through the mud. It's one guy, not representative of the phone and not newsworthy at all.
How is this dragging them through the mud? And of course it's newsworthy.

Do they claim anywhere that it's representative of the 8/8+?

Magandroid

Expert Member
It's not such a big problem. Apple will just say it's a new feature they perfected. Samsung tried a similar feature last year but the batteries exploded. Apple got it right this year.☺

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Apple is probably more astonished that anyone actually bought an iPhone 8. The 3 year old design is obviously to push you to the $1000 iPhone X.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
... you're having me on, right?
... you're just pulling my leg?
... little haha from your side?

;)

EDIT : Oh, I think you be being serious
There's nothing of substance in this post and you don't address any of the questions.

Reporting on a phone potentially splitting open while charging isn't "looking for things to drag them through the mud". :rolleyes:

And nowhere in the article do they claim it's representative of the phone, and actually give many caveats and display scepticism to some of the wilder claims.

The Voice

Executive Member
So, as with every other iPhone, wait for the "S" version before even considering?

Dolby

Honorary Master
I wasn't sure if you were being serious because, in all honesty, it's a bit of a silly comment.

I mean we're talking two phones splitting and you feel that's newsworthy?
Not exploding or killing anyone? Just splitting? Here we have two phones of how many million sold ... splitting?
Perhaps - they could take it back to the store under warranty - as opposed to numerous sites around the world reporting on it? Do iPhones have a warranty?

I remember a few years ago I bought a printer. I took it home and pressed the 'on' button ... it didn't work. I took it back and got it a replacement. There was no press. There was no article. And in all honestly, no one I told found it interesting at all ...

Perhaps I should go to Carte Blanche because my mattress I bought the other day had a loose thread ?

As for it being or not being representative, do I really need to answer that? :/
You're aware these are media article and don't generally require labels as to the content?

Last edited:

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
I wasn't sure if you were being serious because, in all honesty, it's a bit of a silly comment.

I mean we're talking two phones splitting and you feel that's newsworthy?
Not exploding or killing anyone? Just splitting? Here we have two phones of how many million sold ... splitting?
Perhaps - they could take it back to the store under warranty - as opposed to numerous sites around the world reporting on it? Do iPhones have a warranty?

I remember a few years ago I bought a printer. I took it home and pressed the 'on' button ... it didn't work. I took it back and got it a replacement. There was no press. There was no article. And in all honestly, no one I told found it interesting at all ...

Perhaps I should go to Carte Blanche because my mattress I bought the other day had a loose thread ?

As for it being or not being representative, do I really need to answer that? :/
You're aware these are media article and don't generally require labels as to the content?
Not much I can if you don't understand the difference between a phone splitting open when charging and a printer not switching on.

Should no one have reported on Note 7s going pop or iPhones bending either? These things always start with anecdotes.

And please show me where the articles claim it's representative. Or do you not understand what the word means?

Dolby

Honorary Master
Let's drop it.

You have a slightly warped idea of the world and it's pointless debating with you. If you feel something like this is a huge news, then great! :)

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Call me when airlines start banning iphones because they explode

...oh wait no...iphones don't explode...that was another brand.

Anyway...apple shares are up

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Let's drop it.

You have a slightly warped idea of the world and it's pointless debating with you. If you feel something like this is a huge news, then great! :)
TF dude? Trolling' or wot?

DOA, when was that ever news worthy? DOA happens with each and every electronic device. It is expected, normal. However this? It is not expected and is bizarre, and imagine your kid playing with that phone unbeknownst to you.

Connecting your phone to the charger and it splits open? Where the f have you heard that? Certainly not every other day or week.

Last edited: