iPhone 9 / SE 2 South African Release Date & Price

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member
Give these 2 a watch lol:

DON'T Buy The New iPhone SE - Unbox Therapy

You Should Buy The New iPhone SE - Unbox Therapy

LOL! Love it

He went ham on them!

Something that disappointed me with this new SE is the battery size, I thought with the removal of 3D Touch they would at least up the battery size in this to, maybe to 2500mAh? Bring it home like they did in the 11 series, I mean I am absolutely loving the battery life of my 11 Pro Max, it is absolutely class leading without a doubt, wish Apple would have had the same mentality with SE. Maybe throw in the 12W charger if you are keeping the battery small?
Would honestly rather get an XR or 11 over the SE.

Anyway, good to see something different.

I like the Panda look of the white version with black front though

hullabaloo

LOL! Love it

He went ham on them!

Something that disappointed me with this new SE is the battery size, I thought with the removal of 3D Touch they would at least up the battery size in this to, maybe to 2500mAh? Bring it home like they did in the 11 series, I mean I am absolutely loving the battery life of my 11 Pro Max, it is absolutely class leading without a doubt, wish Apple would have had the same mentality with SE. Maybe throw in the 12W charger if you are keeping the battery small?
Would honestly rather get an XR or 11 over the SE.

Anyway, good to see something different.

I like the Panda look of the white version with black front though
It is believed that since this is essentially the chassis of the iPhone 8, they use the same assembly line so removing 3D Touch from the display would require more engineering. So the hardware is still present but deactivated in iOS.

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member
It is believed that since this is essentially the chassis of the iPhone 8, they use the same assembly line so removing 3D Touch from the display would require more engineering. So the hardware is still present but deactivated in iOS.
Oh gosh, yeah that explains it then:confused:

Dave

Honorary Master
The 3D Touch layer of the display has actually been removed.

• On 3D Touch screens, we'd normally find a chip on the back that drives the parallel plate capacitors (as seen in our 6S teardown). The iPhone SE display (on the right in this photo) doesn’t have that chip, just a blank window where the chip wouldbe.
  • And the layer of capacitors? We start peeling off display parts in an attempt to confirm...
  • Confirmed. No 3D Touch
1588075304074.jpeg

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
So Apple is remaking a model from 3 years ago and re labelling it and the fan boys gush?
No, they are re-using a DESIGN that people love and filling it up with brand new hardware.

There is absolutely no need to design things just for the sake of redesigning it year after year which is why Apple has never done it.

If a design change doesn’t fit a purpose and offers some kind of benefit then it is crucial is frivolous.

Technically it’s 5 years old, depending on where you want to draw the line.

Nqindi

Expert Member
No, they are re-using a DESIGN that people love and filling it up with brand new hardware.

There is absolutely no need to design things just for the sake of redesigning it year after year which is why Apple has never done it.

If a design change doesn’t fit a purpose and offers some kind of benefit then it is crucial is frivolous.

Technically it’s 5 years old, depending on where you want to draw the line.
Except Apple didn't use this design because people "love" it. It's simple so they can cut cost buy not re-engineering and retooling their manufacturing processes. They also save as saving on testing and can use up the left over parts.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Except Apple didn't use this design because people "love" it. It's simple so they can cut cost buy not re-engineering and retooling their manufacturing processes. They also save as saving on testing and can use up the left over parts.
No, there is a massive faction of the fanbase that don’t like FaceID and the gesture based controls that come with it and prefer the Home button and TouchID.

Beyond that there are also people who just don’t want to pay for those more expensive features but still want a similar level of performance and this caters perfectly to them.

Apple has a longstanding history of holding onto designs and simply putting more horsepower under the bonnet.

While they do save money in the manufacturing process that gets directly forwarded on to the customer with these specific devices who get much more for less.

There is still a bit of re-tooling and re-engineering of the internals required, it’s not a magical case of printing money.

But it’s fine, the non-Apple faction never understands these things and I don’t expect it to change with this one post even though this old design for little money blows most every Android out of the water.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Its Apple, people love everything Apple. No other company will get away with selling a 6-year-old design and be praised for it.
Because most other companies were kak to begin with and that’s why they need to redo their designs year on year in an attempt to finally get it right.

Apple is simply that good.

Nqindi

Expert Member
Because most other companies were kak to begin with and that’s why they need to redo their designs year on year in an attempt to finally get it right.

Apple is simply that good.
I think a lot of OEMs have been making better-designed phones for a while now. The only problem is that they don't have the Apple logo which some perceive to be a symbol of quality design. Which makes sense because Apple earned that reputation.

Jakkels1991

Expert Member
Watch MKBHD much?

sand_man

Honorary Master
Its Apple, people love everything Apple. No other company will get away with selling a 6-year-old design and be praised for it.
The design is very tired. Totally outdated and while it's not repulsive or offensive in any way, there is nothing relevant about it in 2020!! Buuuuuuut, bundle it with an A13 bionic chip, 3GB's of ram and a decent 12MP shooter, all for under $400.... aaaaaaand all of a sudden design isn't the be all and end all....

It's the sum of all parts and the price point which make it so appealing....

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I think a lot of OEMs have been making better-designed phones for a while now. The only problem is that they don't have the Apple logo which some perceive to be a symbol of quality design. Which makes sense because Apple earned that reputation.
Yawn...go droid somewhere else.

Dave

Honorary Master
The Android vs. Apple wars and the fanboyism is over dude. I am not beheld to any company. I criticise Androids just as much as I do apple.
So what phone do you use?

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member
I’m so-so about the SE, I think Apple should have put a bigger battery now that 3D Touch is gone, that’s all they needed to really make this a home-run.
I am not at all the target audience for the SE, but I think a bigger battery would have been greatly appreciated.

As for design, I am guessing Apple are also listening to the market, throughout 2019 some of the most popular phones sold were the iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 and it seems Apple figured that it would make more sense to build a more internally up to date version of these devices, and so we got the SE 2020, which will fill the gap.

I have read there is a rumour of a SE Plus model to, hopefully that is better equipped and doesn’t just bring all iPhone 8 Plus hardware, heck if they want to go back their old parts bins they must go to the iPhone 7 Plus bin, that had a decently sized battery, larger than 8 Plus.