iPhone 9 / SE 2 South African Release Date & Price

Dave

Honorary Master
I’m so-so about the SE, I think Apple should have put a bigger battery now that 3D Touch is gone, that’s all they needed to really make this a home-run.
I am not at all the target audience for the SE, but I think a bigger battery would have been greatly appreciated.

As for design, I am guessing Apple are also listening to the market, throughout 2019 some of the most popular phones sold were the iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 and it seems Apple figured that it would make more sense to build a more internally up to date version of these devices, and so we got the SE 2020, which will fill the gap.

I have read there is a rumour of a SE Plus model to, hopefully that is better equipped and doesn’t just bring all iPhone 8 Plus hardware, heck if they want to go back their old parts bins they must go to the iPhone 7 Plus bin, that had a decently sized battery, larger than 8 Plus.
Slightly OT, it's surprising that the Samsung models are all A models, I expected to see an S model in the top 10.

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member
Slightly OT, it's surprising that the Samsung models are all A models, I expected to see an S model in the top 10.
Yep,unfortunately Android flagships simply do not sell in high volumes like their mid end counterparts, I think we saw the same thing last year when looking at 2018 results? There is so much competition and a high focus on value that the flagships simply do not make it, it explains why they also lose value faster.

The fact that the iPhone XS Max sold more than a Galaxy S10+ blows my mind when you see how dramatically the S10+ price has dropped and along with all the promotions.

This year’s results will be truly interesting though, I think we may see shifts in some manufacturers emerging and some falling. Apple have a tight grip on the high end though!

L-Dog

Expert Member
SE looks really good value for money and size. Currently have an S10e which I got on a good deal but it boggles my mind to pay nearly 30k for a phone

Nemus

Expert Member
Its Apple, people love everything Apple. No other company will get away with selling a 6-year-old design and be praised for it.
*cough* VW Beetle
*cough* Toyota Corolla
*cough* Karrimor backpack
*cough* Granite Pestle and Mortar (Old AF)
There are MANY companies sticking to old, PROVEN, designs. They have the mould, they have the machines to make it.. why stop? They have found more efficient and cost effective parts, combine with the mould you already have, and you now have a market for NEW iPhones that could previously not afford it. Nothing wrong with that.

If Samsung brought back the S4 with newer chips etc at a lower price point than any other samsung, would it sell? Absolutely. But they don't think that way....

sand_man

Honorary Master
****ing hell.

Was I right or was I RIGHT?

On the exact money!
Same price as the iPH8... it's a good price for sure. Can't help but think if Rona crisis/Moody's hadn't wiped the floor with the ZAR, we might have seen this bad boy debut for around 9k!!!

Still, if I can get this for around R350 on a entry level MTN package, over 24 months, it will make my SO very happy indeed!!

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
How does the screen size compare to an iPhone 7+

Perfect for people who don't care for face ID.

Decently priced too.

maq_

Same price as the iPH8... it's a good price for sure. Can't help but think if Rona crisis/Moody's hadn't wiped the floor with the ZAR, we might have seen this bad boy debut for around 9k!!!

Still, if I can get this for around R350 on a entry level MTN package, over 24 months, it will make my SO very happy indeed!!

Attachments

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Eish R549 over 24 months is definitely too much.

A more "fair" figured would have been around R400 - R450.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Lol Core and their ripoff prices. Madness.
Quite honestly I don’t how how one can even come to that conclusion in this case.

The price is bloody amazing in the current climate.

Ordinarily I would also mouth off about Core, but in this case it’s unwarranted.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Eish R549 over 24 months is definitely too much.

A more "fair" figured would have been around R400 - R450.
Yeah. I'm disappointed in those prices. Lets see what offers come black Friday. I got 3 contracts due for renewal by then. Should be interesting.