iPhone 9 / SE 2 South African Release Date & Price

MrsGreen

Ah man, I just can’t decide if I should buy it cash on pre-order or wait for more contract deals (I’m due my upgrade)...... ah man, ah man, ah man.... sleepless nights on trying to decide!!!

MrsGreen

Ah man, I just can’t decide if I should buy it cash on pre-order or wait for more contract deals (I’m due my upgrade)...... ah man, ah man, ah man.... sleepless nights on trying to decide!!!
5AF4D2EA-A08D-4BC8-A43A-FFCA19DCE654.jpeg

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Change your plan to uChoose Flexi with a sim only (you'll pay about R180pm because of a discount) and then go buy whichever device when you want it cash?

First: no more 24 month cycles because your iPhone can last you 36+ months and you can settle it early if paid with a credit card which means a couple of thousand Rands worth of savings.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Cash if you can.

No more being locked in to contracts with our arsehole cellular providers.

Best decision I ever made buying my X 2nd hand - saved a bundle and no more contract.

R_Factor

For those wanting to preorder at Incredible Connection:

Haai these guys are robbing us for such small memory upgrades
15k for a 256GB, Voetsek!!

Even 2500 extra for just 64gb extra is crazy, rather buy a CPO XR or 11 if you're not chasing this form factor or you're looking for more than 64gb of storage.

R_Factor

The installment is cheap but the bundled price is a total rip off, they are giving you R230 airtime but the call rate will be excessive and most likely be per minute billing.

Rather pay 10k at the iStore and most probably get iCare for free as well.
Migrate to Vodacom prepaid and pay 79c with per second billing included.
For 79 bucks airtime youll get 100 mins compared to this rip off flexi contract where youll get a little more than a 100 minutes off R230 airtime.

R_Factor

Also on this price plan you can buy data for 12 months in advance at like 50% or so off the normal rate.
Bundles are loaded once every month for 12 months and last 60 days from the day its loaded.

Pay-once upfront
Price Total bundle
Size
Monthly
data allocation
Total data
allocation period
In-bundle rates
per MB
This offer allows customers to pay once upfront and get data every 30 days for 3,6 or 12 months. The out of bundle rate of the applicable tariff plan will apply.
R29150MB50MB3 months 19c
R119600MB100MB6 months20c
R2191500MB250MB6 months15c
R3393000MB500MB6 months 11c
R89912288MB1GB12 months7c
R139924576MB2GB12 months6c
R349961440MB5GB12 months6c
R5999122880MB10GB12 months5c

MrsGreen

The installment is cheap but the bundled price is a total rip off, they are giving you R230 airtime but the call rate will be excessive and most likely be per minute billing.

Rather pay 10k at the iStore and most probably get iCare for free as well.
Migrate to Vodacom prepaid and pay 79c with per second billing included.
For 79 bucks airtime youll get 100 mins compared to this rip off flexi contract where youll get a little more than a 100 minutes off R230 airtime.
So my theory was to buy 100 minutes for R109 and 1 GB data for R99 via app on a monthly basis. That leaves me at R208 usage of the R230 deal which isn’t too bad considering I only need the data when I’m not at home.... mmmm.... still a bit unsure now (considering I don’t have the cash and would dip into savings to buy straight out).....

R_Factor

So my theory was to buy 100 minutes for R109 and 1 GB data for R99 via app on a monthly basis. That leaves me at R208 usage of the R230 deal which isn’t too bad considering I only need the data when I’m not at home.... mmmm.... still a bit unsure now (considering I don’t have the cash and would dip into savings to buy straight out).....
I would still rather buy it for cash directly from iStore direct, iCare alone comes to 2k which you cant get on devices not from iStore anyway, so even if its not included thats still something to consider. Alternatively they have an FNB Credit Card option for 23 months at 469 which comes to R10787 total.

If you load R1000 airtime on Vodacom app you get R100 airtime as a bonus.
So the R899 12 month upfront 1gig bundle essentially now costs you 799, you would have had to load 900 to buy it anyway so loading 1000 does no harm.
Comes down to R66 a gig valid for 60 days.

Use the R200 remaining at 79c a min per second billing, remember that unlike a contract if you only use 50 rand of calls this month the airtime doesnt expire so you can use it as slowly as you like. When that R200 finishes I load another R1000 earning R1100 airtime which pushes my 79c call rate down even further.

100 mins at R79 plus 1GB at R66 equals R145
No wastage on minutes and whatever data is left carries over.
If you finance through FNB/ iStore at R469 x 23 = R10787 divided by 24 (standard contract duration) phone ends up costing you R449 a month
Total monthly cost is R614 but no phone payment on month 24 just whatever minimal airtime you need to load

Also, Vodacom cant pull the mat from under you feet when they suddenly feel like no longer offering voice minute bundles on Flexi contracts
Sweetest part is come November and a mad Black Friday special comes along on sim only, you can jump ship immediately no matter which network.

Long story short, try to pay cash for the phone but worst case even if you need to pay for the phone over a longer period rather take it from FNB/ iStore which you can still settle earlier if you come into some bonus money, and you also avoid the shackles and robbery of being tied into a minutes contract which also doesnt actually give you the freedom to use as minimum as you need monthly.

Last edited:

Dave

Honorary Master
There's a rumoured 5.4" iPhone coming towards year end, said to be smaller than the 4.7" SE and only slightly bigger than the old SE.

bar1

Expert Member
sorry to hijack this thread.....is the new ipad also going to be released tomorrow?

Kiemo

If I’m you guys I’ll wait it out until year end ... price will definitely drop ... even if you get a XR

MrsGreen

One happy woman over here (for a change)!!

Purchased My SE yesterday and thrilled with the outcome!

As far as I’m concerned I’m as happy as I had hoped I would be and it’s like my iPhone 6s was reborn with a turbo!!

Fin!
53B3CA4D-5CBD-4729-B605-2127FC861E46.png

R_Factor

One happy woman over here (for a change)!!

Purchased My SE yesterday and thrilled with the outcome!

As far as I’m concerned I’m as happy as I had hoped I would be and it’s like my iPhone 6s was reborn with a turbo!!

Fin!
View attachment 841403
Awesome! Where did you purchase from in the end? Contract or prepaid and what’s it costing you? Trying to work out whether to bite the bullet now or hang ten and wait for a deal lol