iPhone 9 / SE 2 South African Release Date & Price

bwana

MyBroadband
Yes but that’s just charging. I’m asking if people still legitimately plug into stuff for data transfer reasons.
Heck yeah - it's the quickest most reliable method to transfer data.

But maybe I'm missing something. How would you suggest I transfer 1gb+ audiobooks to the Books.app?

I've got an X now but I'm really missing the touch ID on my previous model. Accessing my shopping list with a mask on is a schlep.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Base price of 10k

So much for a "cheap" iPhone.

Who was expecting it to be in the 5k range?

MrsGreen

Awesome! Where did you purchase from in the end? Contract or prepaid and what’s it costing you? Trying to work out whether to bite the bullet now or hang ten and wait for a deal lol
Ultimately I decided that I would go with an upgrade, the only reason being I actually saved on the handset in the end (and I have no qualms being in the 24 month contract as I have been doing ever since I joined Vodacom in 2005).
Decided to go with the uChoose Flexi 230 over 24 months.

My calculations as follows:
230 airtime x 24 = 5520
369 handset x 24 = 8856

I have fiber at home so I will be purchasing 100 voice minutes for R109 per month (and will probably not use it all as I use WhatsApp mostly for my calls) and 1GB data for R99 per
month (in case I need it when I’m out and about).

I’m happy with my decision as I paid less for the phone than I would’ve done cash, I’m on a 24 month contract instead of a 36 month one and I know I’ll use the airtime and data as explained. I’ve never purchased additional airtime and I have a “never ending” R650.00 credit in my phone from about 2 years ago (my bundles are always used first so I just never get to it).
I know cash is always better but I don’t own credit cards (by choice) and I don’t want to use my savings when I don’t have too so it was the best decision for me personally.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

But maybe I'm missing something. How would you suggest I transfer 1gb+ audiobooks to the Books.app?

I've got an X now but I'm really missing the touch ID on my previous model. Accessing my shopping list with a mask on is a schlep.
You can setup an alternative identity for the mask. It's less secure but solves the problem for the time being.

Audiobooks you would put into the Books app on your Mac wouldn't you? So then it syncs across the internet as you need it. But failing that you could also just use Wifi to sync via iTunes without needing to plug it in.

Of course you could just get the audiobooks directly off the internet in the first place.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
It sells for $399 (R7400) in the US so there's no way it would have ever been 5k
If it wasnt for the pandemic it would have been R5600

1 Jan 2020 USD to the Rand was R14.01. $399.99 x R14.01 = R5603

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
If it wasnt for the pandemic it would have been R5600

1 Jan 2020 USD to the Rand was R14.01. $399.99 x R14.01 = R5603
No it’s wouldn’t have because the US price excludes sales tax and is priced for a much larger market.

bwana

MyBroadband
You can setup an alternative identity for the mask. It's less secure but solves the problem for the time being.

Audiobooks you would put into the Books app on your Mac wouldn't you? So then it syncs across the internet as you need it. But failing that you could also just use Wifi to sync via iTunes without needing to plug it in.

Of course you could just get the audiobooks directly off the internet in the first place.
It won’t let you set up an alternative appearance if you’re wearing a mask.

And none of those methods of transferring audiobooks you mentioned are even close to being as quick as a wired connection.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
It won’t let you set up an alternative appearance if you’re wearing a mask.

And none of those methods of transferring audiobooks you mentioned are even close to being as quick as a wired connection.
Didn’t actually test it myself but I believe there was some “hack” to make it work but seemingly it’s more hacky than that.

As for the other problem different strokes I guess. I can’t think of any situation where I need to transfer data in bulk to my device that requires speed.

Data trickles in and out of it magically via the cloud.

bwana

MyBroadband
As for the other problem different strokes I guess. I can’t think of any situation where I need to transfer data in bulk to my device that requires speed.
I spend 5-6 days on the road a month so I like to load up on books before I leave.
Data trickles in and out of it magically via the cloud.
You can also fill a kettle one drop at a time, but opening the tap makes more sense.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I spend 5-6 days on the road a month so I like to load up on books before I leave.

You can also fill a kettle one drop at a time, but opening the tap makes more sense.
And you don’t have internet at home?

I can understand avoiding mobile use due to cost.

Syncing to Audible or other services surely much simpler? Or is the actual problem that the content is alternatively acquired?

Dave

Honorary Master

bwana

MyBroadband
And you don’t have internet at home?

I can understand avoiding mobile use due to cost.

Syncing to Audible or other services surely much simpler? Or is the actual problem that the content is alternatively acquired?
Of course I have internet at home but that's not going to be quicker than transferring my audiobooks via a cable and it's also not going to tie up my connection unnecessarily. There are legitimate sources other than audible.

Same goes for video content.

I realise you might have distain for methods of transferring data that you don't personally subscribe to but it doesn't make them irrelevant.
Awesome - thanks!

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Of course I have internet at home but that's not going to be quicker than transferring my audiobooks via a cable and it's also not going to tie up my connection unnecessarily. There are legitimate sources other than audible.

Same goes for video content.

I realise you might have distain for methods of transferring data that you don't personally subscribe to but it doesn't make them irrelevant.
Awesome - thanks!
It’s not so much disdain as simply no longer required in a modern world when we want to move forward.

All these little things hold us back.

bwana

MyBroadband
Turns out it didn't work particularly well, or at all really, and it doesn't look like that's changing with 13.5. At least I'll get the the keypad quicker.

iOS 13.5 speeds up access to the passcode field on devices with Face ID when you are wearing a face mask and introduces the Exposure Notification API to support COVID-19 contact tracing apps from public health authorities. This update also introduces an option to control automatic prominence of video tiles on Group FaceTime calls and includes bug fixes and other improvements.

Some features may not be available in all regions or on all Apple devices. For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: