iPhone and Windows 10 issues

Heather_ZA

Calling Apple fundi's...

Hi Folks,

I have an iPhone 8, bought new from Apple in February 2018.
Since getting it, I have constantly had problems with my phone and Windows laptop communicating. This means I can’t transfer my photos from phone to laptop.

My iTunes is up to date, and my phone iOS is up to date.

When I plug my phone into my computer, it charges, and I can sync music etc on iTunes. But my phone either doesn’t show up in My Computer, or it will work for a couple of minutes and then crash.

I have tried 3 different computers (two different Windows versions), including a MacBook Pro, and 4 different USB cables, all of which are original Apple products.
I have also done everything on this website: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/cant-import-photos-iphone-wi… I took my device in to an Apple Service Center and they were unable to help.

This is ridiculous.
Anyone with the same problem who got it fixed?

Thank you!

Mr Smooth

Could be a bad installation of iTunes. What I generally do when backing up to iTunes I unlock my phone before connecting it. Are you using the latest version of iTunes? Maybe try uninstall/reinstall?

Heather_ZA

Thanks for the reply, Mr Smooth.

iTunes works fine.
It is accessing my photos that doesn't work.
Normally I could plug in my phone via USB, and it would pop up in My Computer, like when you connect an external HDD. Then I would drag the photos from the phone and drop on to my laptop.

Now it either doesn't show up at all, or will only transfer a few photos and then freeze.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
And you say the very same thing happened on a Macbook Pro?

Or it works there but still not on your own machine?

A workaround in the meanwhile would of course be using something like Google Photos to cloud sync your photos so they are at the very least safe and it won't cost you a cent.

travcaine

Sounds like you have iCloud photos enabled. This way you can only download the photos from iCloud.com? Check in your iCloud settings?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I have tried 3 different computers (two different Windows versions), including a MacBook Pro, and 4 different USB cables, all of which are original Apple products.
On the Macbook go to the utilities folder and open up the Image Capture app. You should be able to access the photos from there.

zippy

Honorary Master
Havent plugged my iphones into a PC or Mac for ages. A few months back I replaced my iphone 5s with the XR. Just used my icloud account to move everything to the new device.

Everything syncs just fine with iclound.

I dont use ITunes on Windows, but it should also sync with an icloud account as well.

You may have your reasons for not using icloud, but I think it works better for syncing data with devices and itunes.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Sounds like you have iCloud photos enabled. This way you can only download the photos from iCloud.com? Check in your iCloud settings?

This is incorrect.

iCloud simply does a parallel upload of photos to iCloud and also syncs deletions.

It doesn't disable local access.