iPhone eSIM support in South Africa - What to expect

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
iPhone eSIM support in South Africa - What to expect

Embedded SIM (eSIM) technology is becoming widely adopted in many modern smartphones, and South African mobile operators have started to support wearables with eSIMs.

These devices include Samsung and Apple's high-end smartwatches - the Galaxy Watch and Apple Watch.

Cal384

Ya no - it's very evident MTN's reasoning is to prevent people from running two carriers on their phone. Vodacom's strongarm with Rain to stop Rain from pushing their eSIM support is also disgusting behaviour.
I agree. I feel like its being purposely held back so that you don't run two carriers on one device because then the consumer wins.

Typical SA Business mindset.... Not suprised

SeaSickMama

Expert Member
I agree. I feel like its being purposely held back so that you don't run two carriers on one device because then the consumer wins.

100% the case as rain is ready to do it and even had it working last year but yeah Vodacom probably tuned them

wilbur

If they can provide an eSIM for a wearable, how do they restrict its use to just that wearable? Surely the QR code can be used on any eSIM device?

RonSwanson

Executive Member
You can get any phone in physical dual sim, the point is that eSIM, which allows many SIM profiles to be loaded for traveling is being disabled because our local carriers are a bunch of incumbent pansies.
Are you saying that local MNOs are disabling the eSIM and only enabling the legacy SIM (with custom firmware) in phones that feature both?

whatwhat

Executive Member
You can get any phone in physical dual sim, the point is that eSIM, which allows many SIM profiles to be loaded for traveling is being disabled because our local carriers are a bunch of incumbent pansies.

Bullshit. The local carriers just don't support themselves to an eSim but you can use Giga/FlexiRoam/TMobile/3HK/etc any other eSims on your phone as you wish.

whatwhat

Executive Member
No, but try roaming in SA on a 3mobile eSIM activated in UK when you need to access an OTP for your UK bank account... Forces me to use a physical SIM, for something I can use eSIM for in UK.

Bullshit.

I have 5 eSims on my iPhone from various providers from the countries I work/travel in. Yes, you can only have 1 eSim active at a time (and 1 physical for dualsim) but I have no issue with getting any messages/calls on anything while travelling, even in SA when I do visit home.

susefan

No, but try roaming in SA on a 3mobile eSIM activated in UK when you need to access an OTP for your UK bank account... Forces me to use a physical SIM, for something I can use eSIM for in UK.
You have answered a question I have tried to asked in other fora and no one answered. Can you roam with eSIM in a network that doesn't support eSIM? From your experience it seems not possible.

susefan

Last year Vodacom and MTN promised that they will be supporting eSIM on iphones in the first half of 2020. They seem not interested now. How can't the small providers that benefit from porting adopt eSIM? Is eSIM support too costly to bring in?

RonSwanson

Executive Member
It really shouldn't be, whether SIM or eSIM. OK. Then again, I have trouble with my normal MTN SIM driving around the Johannesburg area, the cells somehow don't handle the handover properly at all, so I guess that this is why.

vdpollm

Roughly translated: if you hold your breath, you will turn blue waiting. Or, another translation: absolutely nothing, again.

whatwhat

Executive Member
good to know, mind I ask if you got your eSIM activated directly through the carrier?

Yes, remember I don't live in South Africa so carriers here in Asia support it freely.
You either get a QR code from the vendor at their shops, or you install an app to get the eSim provisioned.

You can also get roaming sims (FlexiRoamX/GigSky), but my usage with them vary. The data might be cheap but performance is sometimes very poor because while you connect on LTE their APN doesn't provide a lot of bandwidth and is high latency. Find for browing, not fine for games.

whatwhat

Executive Member
You have answered a question I have tried to asked in other fora and no one answered. Can you roam with eSIM in a network that doesn't support eSIM? From your experience it seems not possible.

Yes, to a cell network there is no difference between a normal sim and an eSim. As long as your home carrier supports eSim (which they had to for you to get it) it will work the same as a physical sim would.

Which is why Vodacom charging a monthly fee for eSim is ****ing ridiculous.

susefan

Yes, to a cell network there is no difference between a normal sim and an eSim. As long as your home carrier supports eSim (which they had to for you to get it) it will work the same as a physical sim would.

Which is why Vodacom charging a monthly fee for eSim is ****ing ridiculous.
Thanks.