iphone gps vs normal gps system

myztic

I was thinking of buying a navigation app for my iPhone (because it is so convenient to have it with me everywhere) or should I Just buy a full system?

Anyone have reviews or thoughts on TomTom SA or Navigon?

undesign

Executive Member
I was thinking of buying a navigation app for my iPhone (because it is so convenient to have it with me everywhere) or should I Just buy a full system?

Anyone have reviews or thoughts on TomTom SA or Navigon?

I've owned a Garmin Nuvi for a few years and have TomTom on my iPhone. I almost never use the Garmin anymore, the TomTom app is brilliant, the interface looks just like the dedicated units.

If I were a taxi driver or courier I'd stick a dedicated unit to on my dashboard, for everything else the iphone is more than sufficient.

Cool E

Expert Member
I've owned a Garmin Nuvi for a few years and have TomTom on my iPhone. I almost never use the Garmin anymore, the TomTom app is brilliant, the interface looks just like the dedicated units.

If I were a taxi driver or courier I'd stick a dedicated unit to on my dashboard, for everything else the iphone is more than sufficient.

We ( Taxi Drivers) does not use that gadget. We know all shorcuts.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
We ( Taxi Drivers) does not use that gadget. We know all shorcuts.

And also, the "roads" you use are not on any map, since pavements, parks, footpaths etc are not supposed to be used by vehicles...

myztic

do I need to buy the car kit for it?
It is just sooooo expensive :( are there any coupon codes for it?

do you think the live traffic is worth it? I might try the live traffic for a month just to see.
Anyone know where I can buy the car kit? I plan on purchasing the Iphone 5 though when it comes out so should i just wait for an iPhone 5 car kit for tom tom?

Thanks for the advice! The reviews on the TomTom app in the app store aren't that great.

myztic

and will i be able to sync the tom-tom app with more than one device? (my husband and my iPhones) We connect to the same computer and use the same iTunes account

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I bought a cradle for my phone, and also the charger and aux-cable kit. The tomtom app is great - IQRoutes is awesome. I haven't tried the live traffic. Just be aware, you need the charger cable. It eats battery prodigiously to have GPS and display active for extended periods.

ozziej

Also try out Skobbler GPS (available from the US and UK Stores) you can download the whole world maps for $10 If i remember correctly the app was only $0.99

It has voice guided navigation and the maps get updated frequently (uses open street maps), also it has an offline mode, so you don't eat up your 3G data. Far cheaper than the $50 or so that the other GPS makers want.

ebendl

Expert Member
Have the TomTom app, uses it all the time. Brilliant.

Don't need to buy the TomTom cradle, but a car charger (any one that works) and a cradle makes it much easier to use.

In particular, I like:
- Free map updates
- Advance South African voice that reads out the street names (even though she can't pronounce Johannesburg)
- Offline data
- Can be shared between multiple iPhones/iPad (allthough the traffic service can't)
- Can be used with the traffic service, including on a month-to-month basis if you for example know that you will travel quite a bit during that month. Although Google Maps now has free traffic, so I doubt that I will use it again.

Garmin GPS has been in my closet for months!

TheRidDlerX

I also have the TomTom app on my iPhone but i seem to have issues with it keeping up where i am. Sometimes it would indicate im standing still, when im actually moving, making me miss the turns half of the time, but i think my main issue is the cover i have on it mayb be interfering with the GPS signal. Other than that TomTom units and its app have always been a joy to use for me.

JayN

I have a Garmin ... and I have in the last year bought the iPhone TomTom app. Needless to say, I have not used the Garmin since.

Like the Garmin, the iPhone needs to be plugged in when using the GPS, otherwise you start losing battery power fairly quickly.

I have also loaded the TomTom on my iPad and the bigger display is great. Haven't seen a car cradle for iPad though. If you get an iPhone cradle, you don't need a separate GPS unit.

The updates are also great .. latest road names etc. It's a mission to update the Garmin and now that I am well outside a year, i think you have the buy updates. I haven't bothered.

I can't compare to a dedicated TomTom GPS with LiveTraffic. Wonder if that works ... LiveTraffic is not on the iPhone app.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I can't compare to a dedicated TomTom GPS with LiveTraffic. Wonder if that works ... LiveTraffic is not on the iPhone app.

The iPhone app has HDTraffic ... you just have to subscribe.

JayN

Forgot to mention ... there are strong rumours :)whistle:) that iOS6 will have an improved Maps function, which may include turn by turn navigation. That will eliminate the need for a GPS app like TomTom.

An Apple rumour ... one has to take it with a pinch of salt.

R13...

Honorary Master
Forgot to mention ... there are strong rumours :)whistle:) that iOS6 will have an improved Maps function, which may include turn by turn navigation. That will eliminate the need for a GPS app like TomTom.

An Apple rumour ... one has to take it with a pinch of salt.
That's not a rumour, it is in the beta.

myztic

ios6 will have improved Maps but i doubt that will be applicable in South Africa.

myztic

oh so if tomtom is gonna help them with maps then i should definitely wait. I'm sure the updated software will be out soon